Agnostic.com

4 5

LINK Surprise, California condors can reproduce without having sex, San Diego Zoo reports | The San Diego Union-Tribune

Wow. The skeptic in me will look closely at this and also wait for more info. But it's interesting.
They also wondered how viable the parthenogenic offspring were -- whether they could reproduce. But wow.

I saw a comment somewhere else -- 'life will find a way'. Maybe so.

RichCC 8 Oct 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Now I know why Condors were an endangered species. There is no fun in reproduction without sex, so why bother?

The technical definition of sexual reproduction is the exchange of genetic material. Condors are birds and like all animals, they reproduce through sexual reproduction. This article surprised me nonetheless but if they remain viable remains a question

It could be a possibility since the Western Red female Kangaroos in Australia are well know for their ability to SUSPEND the development of an embryo in utero almost indefinitely while awaiting either the young in the pouch to mature enough to leave the pouch and fend for themselves OR for better conditions with more rainfall and fresher fodder to feed upon.
Some have also been known to be able to 'store' viable sperm from a male for up to 2-3 months because of a 'backlog' in their reproductive organs and pouch.

That’s what I told the judge….still ended up with child support…

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:631164
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.