Agnostic.com

3 0

LINK What Can We Do About Gun Violence? | The Problem With Jon Stewart

First I've seen of Jon's new show but it's not a subject which moves me very much. Of course it would be better than great if we could get a grip over this issue but, even if we got the hardware down to a sane level of numbers, we would still have the mindset induced by NRA indoctrination. That's the real problem. Those who are so indoctrinated have demonstrated that they'll kill people with tap water so the problem is their willingness to kill. Liberals may be fucked up, as well, but we tend to not want death as the goal for our errors. Because death is the stated goal for many gQP issues (gays, which is everyone kids so let's stop with the 10,000 distinctions please, women, anyone unhealthy enough to work unless they can carry a gun or brandish a flag pole, POC unless they can pick crops or will let a horny white man fuck them without complaint, and anyone else they don't fully like) that is the real problem. Let's get that settled down to allowing us peon humans to live equally free as any straight white Christian among them and then we can work on the Dem problems. I've already done my part at suggesting ways to get more votes and am now shifting attention away from DemocratIC Party concerns. They have my full and unwavering support as a Veteran, Progressive Activist, Secular Humanist, and Liberal for this stamp of time.

rainmanjr 8 Nov 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Good video, as many of Jon's are I am a tad curious why you said the gun violence problem doesn't move you much. It is horrendous and important, even if also maddeningly frstrating.

The solutions are fairly straightforward. As Storm1752 pointed out, it is merely political agendas that make it impossible. I am no cheerleader for Dems. But I HAVE to vote for them by default on every issue, because what used to be the GOP, a party whose policy priorities I once merely disagreed with, has morphed into pure evil fascism. And that is not hyperbole. That is the simple, accurate label. The NRA has its own greedy capitalist motivations, but if we had a political system and parties willing to actually do their fucking job, the NRA would not have anywhere near the power it has had.

We are aligned on Party loyalty and reason for it. Religious alliance makes the gQP unacceptable for me. I'm not worried about gun violence because both sides miss big points for their agenda. Gun ownership is a constitutional right but, as we say about speech, rights have limits. With guns those limits are weapons of modern warfare. We can't run around with grenades, a "weapon of the day," in our hands so can't have an automatic weapon for the same reason. Instead of defeating guns Dem's should defeat the NRA (and that seems to be happening thanks to embezzlements within the org). The side arguments, born of agenda, make the issue endless. Zen states that lives are just illusions so there is no death. The illusion will get addressed as it must according to perceived events but it's not the gun we need to address. It's the fears and power (ego emotions) a gun addresses. Address the human aspect and the tools of power and fear will fall away. This is what we did not do after WWII. We blamed individuals rather than took a hard look at hatred, power, and psychology. In fact, we denied psychology had anything to do with it. Mistakes which the focus on a tool still blinds us to. Dem's will not win the argument until they acknowledge the constitutional right, praise its virtues, and correct for the abuse of humans. I hate endless, unsolvable, arguments. I'm about solutions and strategy for achieving them.

@rainmanjr I agree with you, mostly. Not the life being illusion part. Sorry zen. Perception of life, perception of self, are entirely subjective, yes, And unified consciousness may very well even be a programming trick of our neural wiring, but we do exist. I do not know for fact that you do you could be ai, some bot, etc. But I exist. I think, therefore I am. ....even when my thinking is erroneous, because I still have to exist to think.

@MikeInBatonRouge I go into that in my EMS Tao video but the illusion of death isn't a big deal to NRA argument. I threw that in as a personal aside but shouldn't have, I suppose. Population has demonstrated quite clearly that Life hold little meaning (beyond hopes and prayers) so death is not the outrage for gun enthusiasts. Dems do give out the idea that they want to confiscate all guns so seem disingenuous when saying that is not the goal. My idea is that we be enthusiastic for rifles, handguns, and related sporting events to gain legitimacy for control of weaponry and safety measures. Having not done so all these decades has proven a mistake. Once the NRA is a shell of itself we can begin to more honestly address the whole issue because the power of voice/money will be severely cut. Never underestimate the power of a focused and unified voice.

Australia confiscated guns and the stats prove it worked. Too easy for us.
That horse left our barn a long time ago. We don't solve problems anymore, and guns are just one of many. They're multiplying like rabbits.
The solution is beyond reach, let's just face it, until we fix our government, and I'm sorry but I'll believe THAT'S possible only when I see Joe Machin get down on his knees and kiss Chuck Schumer's ass.

I agree. The solutions are there so it's only political will and nobody wants to go against the prevailing sentiments of their own side so nothing can get done. That would be okay in a normal political period but we have a deadline, literally, and last minute study is not going to get a passing grade.

@rainmanjr I happen to think the problem lies almost exclusively with the Republicans.
The Democrats have shown over and over again they are willing to compromise. On the other side it's all or nothing. Total victory is all they're interested in.
We see now what their goal was all along: complete domination, permanent one-party rule.
So they won't capitulate on guns any more than anything else,
Close the gun show loophole? Not on your life.
A ban on assault weapon? Forget it.
We are dealing with what looks to be an unsolvable problem.
Gun violence and gun control is, sorry, just one symptom of a much bigger and deadlier disease.

But all new locks and get your own guns.

I’ve got the gun and locks won’t help a hole lot.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:635874
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.