Agnostic.com

17 10

What muscles do you work shoveling snow?

We're in the middle of a snowstorm in Wenatchee, WA. Unfortunately, it's going to rain over the next few days. For the last week, I've been shoveling snow twice a day.

Due to global warming in the past five years, we had slush and freezing rain instead of fluffy snow. Instead of snowshoes, I have been using micro-spikes for winter hiking. I sewed Velcro straps to keep them on. At $86 plus tax, I don't want to lose them.

From Health Magazine.

"Whether you are digging in dirt, gravel, sand, or snow, shoveling can be a great workout.
Shoveling often requires quick bursts of energy and involves all body muscles to complete the task.

"The most important muscles for shoveling snow are those that provide the lift and motion to this task: these are located in your front spine, back, and legs.
The muscle groups include some you may not be aware of, such as abdominal muscles.

"Despite total-body involvement, the following muscles are the most commonly credited with playing the most prominent role when shoveling are the skeletal muscles; abs, deltoid, latissimus dorsi, biceps, and triceps, erector spinae, glutes, quads, and hamstrings."

Of course, there's a safe and unsafe way to shovel. I like to run pushing the snow load, then use my legs to lift. It's satisfying to get it done.

NIne years ago, we got twelve feet of snow that winter. The last snow was on June fourth. I shook my fist at the sky!

LiterateHiker 9 Dec 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

17 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I take lots of breaks, and shovel in sections. We have the street plow and the sidewalk plow. Together they create a wall of hardened snow between the sidewalk and the street. My biggest challenge is finding places to put all the snow. I can't put it in the street or on the sidewalk.

Also the reason I decided I did not really want a horse.

I have seen snow enough to accumulate maybe 5 or 6 times since I moved to the southland when I was barely an adult.
I told my dad when we were trying to keep the well from freezing with all the extension cords we owned and a light bulb that I was not living like that once I had a choice.
I really like those kicks though.

None...gave up shoveling snow when I ended up in the South...😁

Muscles you didn’t even know you had.

In south western Quebec, we get an average of about eight feet of snow per winter. But we do get less of it because of the climate warming.

Snow? What's that?

I haven’t shoveled snow since 1980. And I do not intend to do so ever again.

I don't understand the question?

If this cold in SW AZ doesn’t let up, I might head to your house.

@MsKathleen I can't picture it being cold in SW AZ.

@ChurchLess has been all week. Went down to 37°F two nights ago. Has been low 60s every day.

@MsKathleen Phoenix has been the same, 60's in the day and 40's at night.

For some reason I think you're bragging.

It hasn't snowed in my neck of the woods. Thanks to global warming.

@freedom41

I understand. For the past five years, Wenatchee, WA has had more freezing rain and slush than fluffy, dry snow.

Instead of snowshoes, I have been using micro-spikes for winter hiking. I sewed Velcro straps to keep them on. At $86 plus tax, I don't want to lose them.

I thought I was done with all that when we left WA. But then I got offered a job in a 5000ft altitude town. We got our first flurry last week.

Probably climate change has limited it so far to only a half inch but the northern exposure of our house will keep our porch coated with ice until the end of January or more. At least salt will melt us a path out to the cars. Ha, ha.🙂

I'm glad we don't get feet of snow. It's dry enough that we go straight from monsoon to too cold to snow. Ha, ha. Again. I guess.

someone elses

Ones you normally don't use.

I have never shoveled snow.
I lack the gene to live at latitudes conducive to snow and ice.
I basically moved from the south east corner of Alabama where it may snow but never accumulates to Southern California where it only snows in the mountains that I'm too lazy to visit.
I have driven in snow, on a business trip to Montreal Canada. It was a blizzard, my first time driving in snow and all the street signs were in French. It was a bitch getting to the hotel where I had a room on the 86th floor with a wall made of glass. Then I had to find the offices of Northern Telecom the next morning, which was miles and miles away across snow drift Canada. It was 1994 and there was no practical GPS or smart phones to be found. I was so proud of my Apple Newton, this was before the palm pilots.

Where did you live in SE Alabama...I moved here to Dothan AL 20 years ago from CT...via NM, FL, OK 😸

@phoenixone1 Clayhatchee, between Enterprise and Dothan, my personal childhood hell.

@Willow_Wisp glad for you that you managed to get out. I've been lucky here. Good neighbors, affordable house with a nice yard. No major issues other than the fact we are in Bible thumping HELL and the heart of tRUMPs idiot base. I would LOVE to live in California but I have an Autistic son I am raising and my other two kids are within 7 hours drive time ... So I am stuck in MAGGOT country. Thank goodness for vacations to civilized states 🤗

@phoenixone1 I know right 😟

Yes been there

bobwjr Level 10 Dec 18, 2021

My son in law gifted me with his used and too small snow blower. It is perfect for my driveway and sidewalk. My house faces south, if I wait a few days I usually don't even have to worry about snowblowing or shoveling. Those times that I do have to do it, I have about 6 feet of sidewalk, 6 steps, and a 5X3 porch to shovel. It is satifying to get it done, it is even more so for mother nature to do it for me.

I didn’t realize you got snow!

@MsKathleen Oh yeah, we get snow. Usually not a great deal, but there have been times we've been inundated. Our schools close when there is a chance of "significant" snow especially during the heavy commute times. The snow/freeze cycle is why we don't have termites. I don't mind snow if I don't have to go anywhere, so I'm really happy to be WFH.

I feel it mostly in my shoulders, biceps and lower back when I shovel snow.

Deb57 Level 8 Dec 18, 2021
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:640097
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.