Agnostic.com

12 17

LINK 'Sex Cult Nun' author Faith Jones broke free from the Children of God : NPR

Author Faith Jones was raised in the cult group the Children of God (later known as The Family and The Family International). For most of her childhood, Jones lived on a commune in Macau, an island off the coast of China. She spent hours reading doctrine, memorizing scripture and chanting and praying.

"We grew up very isolated in a remote village doing sort of sporadic home study stuff and a lot of chores," she says.

And, she says, there was sex.

In 1968, Jones' grandfather, David Berg, had founded the group around the belief that God is love and — taking it a step further — that, therefore, sex is Godly. Berg preached that men could practice polygamy, and that women must freely "share" their bodies, regardless of whether they want to — because sex was their service to God.

snytiger6 9 Dec 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Really glad / https:// there's NPR
or we would never hear about it‼️

'Merika has some similar issues.

Freedom of religion can morph into legalized rape

twill Level 7 Dec 24, 2021

I remember running into the CoG in the 70s it was an experience.

NPR. Still time to submit those donations.

Religion poisons everything! I wish I could live long enough to see the end of religion. 😉 Happy for this woman to be free of those monsters.

Same.

The group still exists under a new name Family International. It started in the US. I'm not sure if it still exists in Macau - that is a pretty wild and open part of China now, allowing gambling and such. Then again, the Chinese don't take well to cults, especially xtion ones.

The world needs more women like her.

Nit picking here… Macau hasn’t been an island since the 17th century when a narrow channel shared with the mainland was filled in with land reclamation. Or so the story goes.

Good for her. I hope she has a long, healthy life, and helps as many victims of abuse as she can.

Personally, I'm all for taking a flamethrower to the leaders of all cults.

Splendid. I'm always happy to see someone become more enlightened and advance their freedom. Poor woman has been through Hell so she will be in my positive projections.

She was lucky she left that nightmare

bobwjr Level 10 Dec 21, 2021

I feel proud of Faith Jones for leaving her family and that horrible cult. She was raped repeatedly starting at age 12. "God ordained it."

Now she's an attorney. She worked hard to heal from the trauma she experienced. Bravo!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:640642
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.