Agnostic.com

9 1

Are some of us destined to be dumb and is there anything we can do about it?

[abc.net.au]

xenoview 8 Dec 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Only you, and “No.” LOFL

Humans are variable in many facets, so naturally some of them will inevitably be below average. Some perhaps will will try to better themselves and succeed, but like the quote in the article observes many will lack the self awareness. I did see recently someone complaining about the frequency they are called stupid and were completely oblivious to the idea that they might actually be stupid. (not acquainted with Occam's razor and commenting on it seemed futile)

Yes and no in matching order.

This makes me think of dunning kruger.

Yes and yes. But if we start augmenting our brains with more and better neurons and biocircuiting, what do we become? What are our objectives? More memory storage or information access? Can we reprogram the brain's development to be more like identified geniuses?

Television was supposed to educate the masses. That failed.
The internet was supposed to educate the masses. That failed too.

BD66 Level 8 Dec 23, 2021

You forgot state schools, and the popular press.

@Fernapple Those failed too didn't they?

The ignorant can learn. Those born stupid will remain stupid until the day they die. I'm not convinced critical thought can be taught.

Having worked with an older man who can best be described as cognitively challenged (I.Q. of perhaps 90) he was receptive to the idea of asking questions about things that he was being told. He would have been unable to frame and ask deep probing questions, but at least he would have been able to ask questions such as "Who told you that?".

There is a difference between not being highly intelligent and refusing to use whatever intelligence you happen to have, howsoever limited, to your own benefit and to the benefit of those who are around you.

It is those who simply refuse to engage in critical thinking of any sort that annoy the crap out of me.

all of us.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:640912
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.