Agnostic.com

4 5

Watching "Don't look Up" on Netflix, it is a great historical offering about modern politics in the US while a catastrophe happens. Thoughts or Comments?

dalefvictor 8 Dec 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I forgot to add that I didn't much like the praying to God aspect in the final dinner scene before they all get wiped out, especially as we are led to believe that these people were not religious. Typical Hollywood. Personally, if I'm about to get wiped out by a comet along with all humanity, I'm not giving thanks or prayers to a non existent or at best indifferent god standing by and allowing billions of people to die, presumably including many good people. I'd be saying, well, I told you there's no god, and shit just happens, and if there is a god he's useless.

It's a bit heavy handed but certainly funny in parts and is a great take down on modern discourse, or rather lack of it. Older groups are putting it down, but I suspect younger gens will get it. The irony to me was that although the comet was a metaphor sort of, and the real threat is climate change, in fact if a comet were spotted the powers that be would take it seriously and do something. The problem with climate change is that it's catastrophic but not impactful in 6 months, to most people, like a comet would be, so it leaves people the excuse not to deal with it. That's the problem; humans are good at immediate danger and long term change, but not medium term disaster, the kind that, as Humphrey Bogart might say, is not today or tomorrow but soon and forever. So, the metaphor didn't quite work for me, but I get what they were trying to do.

After you saying that I'd have to agree. Watching it I thought it related to the pandemic, but your scenario makes more sense.

@Tejas Sorry for the spoiler alert. I thought it was a take on trump and people not being smart enough to see what is in front of them. I think the last scenes tell it all. The second in charge sits on the scorched earth with a suitcase full of money, which is worthless. Those who escape and spend thousands of years getting to a world that is safe, get eaten. Works for me. Also the last dinner, I took as being a family spending their last time together, how I would not want to go, I will take some friends from here, share a good meal and a good bottle of wine or something.

I loved it. Pure satire that was hyperbolic but on point.

Haven't seen it..

Brilliant contribution… congrats on your “double points” post! 😂

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:641807
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.