Agnostic.com

9 1

Anyone watch any cringey and/or creepy Christian kids shows growing up?

I'm talking stuff like Kids Praise and Bibleman, where it's really awkward and somewhat creepy. Anyone know of any good ones?

wjwolfe 5 Dec 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Nope, not as a child, but I did see an hour and thirty something long movie: Jesus Camp. Now that is creepy!

I watched this as an adult, and I was quite disturbed by it.

no, my mum sent me to Sunday school when I was very young. I hated normal school so this really pissed me off. I watched animal programs from a very early age and was brought up with dogs so was I was effectively a none believer before I ever could become a believer. it never did make sense to me.

Just Davey and Goliath.

Although I am a massive science fiction lover, I still can not bring myself to sit through Battlestar Galactica, its overly religious connotations were cringe inducing.

The original or the reboot? The reboot is awesome. The original blows chunks.

The original, I tried to be open minded and give it a second chance, but it was a brief lapse in judgement. I agree chunky bits galore.

Davey and Goliath. I rewatched an episode of it a couple of years ago on You Tube and it gave me the heebie jeebies. Good thing I was too young to understand just how creepy that show was when I was watching it on a weekly basis.

Davey and Goliath was truly creepy that is until I saw the parody of it on SNL. I just loved it when Goliath tells Davy its time to cleanse the city.
The most truly creepy one I have seen is one called Veggie Tales it is just sick.
My personal tastes in religious kids shows is Moral Oral; or maybe it isn't for kids at all.

Fortunately "Veggie Tales" was well after my time. I received plenty of indoctrinating audio-video material growing up, to be sure, but tv specifically, not so much. Adult shows, yes, like Pat Robertson's 700 Club and James Dobson's Focus on the Family. My mom banned Bewitched from the house--makes me laugh to think of it. She would have done the same to the Harry Potter series, I'm sure, but that was decades later. In my early teens, I went with my church youth group to a Bill Gaither (sp?) revival-style youth rally at the Seattle King Dome. I remember him railing against the evils of secular pop music, with its "backward masking" Satanic subliminal messages. That was pretty creepy.

@MrLizard: Yes, Elizabeth Montgomery… 👍 I still have a crush on her (well when she was among the living). Did you ever see the Twilight Zone episode she was in?

I never saw Elizabeth Montgomery in the Twilight Zone, but I do now possess Bewitched compilation dvds. 🙂

I watched Davy and Goliath-I was brought up Jewish and didn't catch onto the messaging till years later.

I think I am older than such shows (thank goodness), or lived in the right market to miss them. You know, only three channels in black and white, needed foil on the antenna, etc...

Zster Level 8 Dec 3, 2017
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:6486
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.