Agnostic.com

10 2

If there were no humans, would Time exist? (I am not referring to the magazine)

creative51 8 Feb 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yes, no different than if a tree falls in the forest and no one's around to hear it does it still make a sound.

lerlo Level 8 Feb 8, 2022

@creative51 always

How can time have a beginning? Time has always been and always will be, long before life began on earth or elsewhere in the universe, and also long after we're gone.

Time is a measurement. The word time is the description like foot or meter for a measured length.

The word time is used as if it is not just the measurement but to label the duration, event or occurence.

Seperate the implied conflation of the word time so to understand time is the measurement of duration but time is not the duration.

Duration occurs wheither something is present to measure the amount of duration in measurement called time.

Word Level 8 Feb 8, 2022

@creative51 again, I say seperate "time" the measurement from understanding the fact of duration. I don't think emotion is specifically required.

Perception of at least 2 seperate events that occur non-simultaneously would give for understanding of duration or a measurable about of duration between the events measured in units of time.

You "know" because you exist. If you did not exist you would not "know". When one person dies, are there still like 7 billion people on Earth after that one person dies? Yes, just because one person dies does not mean the rest of existence is done away with.

So then, as you ask, eliminate all people on Earth and duration of the elements remains there is just no one to use measurement to keep track of the counted units of time.

@creative51 in a few billion years when the Sun expands into a red giant star and burns up all of earth's atmosphere, will Saturn still experience rotation around the Sun even if no one is a live to observeit?

@creative51 light waves that left stars millions of light years away, would they quit moving thru space taking time at the speed of light? Ok r, light that leaves the Sun moving away, would that light stop moving experiencing the travel thru space and taking time to do so for a duration, would that duration and light travel stop because all life on Earth was killed off?

If I define time and prove it exists then I can begin to wonder.

If there was no movement could time dilate?

If there was no space would time exist?

If ifs and ands were pots and pans would there be work for tinker's hands?

As a concept at least, don't forget that humans are not the only creatures to measure it. It would perhaps be better to ask. If no living things existed would time exist ?

From which it is possible to infer that living creatures are indeed measuring something that is real, since most biological clocks are genetically hard wired into organisms by evolution through natural selection, and it seems reasonable to think that those organisms whose internal models of the universe were less accurate would be selected against. A plant whose internal clock told it to flower in May, when its pollinators only came out in July would soon go extinct, while those which flowered in July would increase their share of the gene pool.

Time exists. But it requires a high degree of cerebral complexity to become aware of the concept, especially the "future". Man is not the only creature aware of time. Any animal that can lie in wait, or store food, demonstrates an awareness of the concept.

I tend to think that time is the only component of Tao, running through it like a river's current, and it creates a magnetic friction which electrons move in.

Yes, only humans were not measuring it back then, unless T.rexs had Sekondas

The human concept(s) wouldn't exist, but physics (stars/galaxies/etc.) would continue to continue to exist/change -- as it has irrespective of our 'knowledge'. 😛

Yes. Time existed before the earth formed. It will exist long after its gone too.

Tejas Level 8 Feb 7, 2022
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:649388
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.