Agnostic.com

21 29

Oklahoma bill would fine teachers $10k for teaching anything that contradicts religion

More Insanity in the US School system

Oklahoma Republican Senator Rob Standridge has introduced a bill named the “Students’ Religious Belief Protection Act” that would allow people to sue teachers if they offer an opposing view to the religious beliefs held by students.

The bill seeks to penalize educators who oppose students' "closely held religious beliefs." Senate Bill 1470 includes an avenue for legal sanctions that will cost teachers a minimum of $10,000. The bill's cruelty goes further in the financial retribution, demanding that anyone found guilty of violating the bill will have to "make payment from personal resources and shall not receive any assistance from individuals or groups." Any teacher who cannot manage payment is immediately fired and barred from teaching in the state for a period of five years.

[msn.com]

LenHazell53 9 Feb 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

21 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

So all of the educated teachers leave, the bigots take over, a smart jewish/musim/bhuddist/seventh day adventist/scientologist family move, they then sue each and every teacher that does not teach what ever the ....... faith believes in.

Screw them I would walk find a job in another state/country that is not being run by such backward thinking retards (and I do not use that word easily) American Taliban been calling it for years.

Budgie Level 8 Feb 19, 2022

Perhaps with this now occurring there SHOULD a change made to the Internationally known title of the country from the United States ( not that it has EVER been truly Unified imo,) of America to something akin to " Useless States of Absurdity" or even " Universally Screwed Over Arse-wipes."

How fast would this law be repealed if parents of a Jewish or Muslim student sued a Christian teacher?

I can see the ACLU and the FFRF both having a field day with this piece of nonsense.

@anglophone As we live in hope, so let us NOT die in despair regarding this BLATANT ASSAULT on Human Rights and Dignities.

Damn bubba, muslamics and judish folk aint christian so they aint reeeeligeus they is heathen folk, so no probe lemo.

A few years ago, in my middle school media literacy class, I showed kids the official website of the Flat Earth Society. The focus of the lesson was on evaluating sources & examining claims, and I thought that this would be easy. One girl became clearly uncomfortable. She offered that she believed the Earth was not just flat, but square. With an angel in each corner. And she did not want to hear otherwise. Luckily the bell rang and class was over. But the next day, at the beginning of class, she stormed in, slammed her books down, got in my face, and told me that she was going to walk out if I was going to push that round Earth stuff again. It was the the last day of the course, so I just dropped it.

She didn't go to the administration to complain, but I'm SURE she went home and told her family about it.

Imagine if this law had been in place.

Surely this contravenes the separation of church and state?

"Fuck the Constitution. It's the survival of Christianity that we are talking about here."

@anglophone shoving it in students faces! that is... Religion is not taught in public schools in South Africa. ...and there's an uproar against certain private schools at the moment. Almost All private schools here are xtian or catholic influenced.

@SeaGreenEyez homeschooling, no doubt....

@SeaGreenEyez
Sure they have heard of the Constitution. They are the same people who say the US is a Christian nation and the Constitution is based on the Bible. Never mind that nasty little 'separation of church and state thing'. According to them, the Constitution doesn't say "separation of church and state." Besides, Christianity is exempt ... since this is a Christian nation. (Sarcasm)

In my opinion the Angry emoticon is nowhere near enough to cover my feelings and reactions to this piece Religiotard Dictatorship style action and outright religiotard push for TOTAL control of Education in the U.S.
somehow I sense that the U.s. will NOT need to concern itself with ASSUMED enemies from elsewhere but more likely with a War of Religion versus Freedom From Religious Oppression which is fast approaching it on ALL sides and from innumerable directions as well.

A Jewish student, a Christian student, a Muslim student and a Wiccan student all attend the same class. How does Senator and Chief Idiot Rob Standridge plan to address that situation?

I don't think he plans on addressing it because to him this is all about Christian faith. His and the faith he is trying to nail onto others.

By telling the class how much smarter and better looking the Christian student is. The other kids might come to believe it and then become Christians when older. We know that this is the goal of such a bill and they are relentless at this.

@DenoPenno
Exactly! The Jew, the Muslim, and the Wiccan students need to convert to Christianity and anything that teaches them to abandon their faiths would be celebrated by the American Christian Taliban.

@rainmanjr I'll say this for the Rethuglican Party: they are experts in manufacturing large quantities of weapons grade stupidity.

@rainmanjr, @RussRAB And God forbid that an Atheist (shudder!) should be present as a student.

@anglophone An Atheist's line of reasoning can nullify their indoctrinations so must be treated, by all believers, as an existential threat. Such a threat receives the force of condemnation physically, emotionally, societally, but not psychologically (which tends to become sensitive of such offenses). The non-believer holds a position of greater fear for them.

@anglophone Imo, the Rethuglicans not only manufacture Weapons Grade Stupidity but have the Universal Patent on the Production of it as well.

I think they expect that the Jewish, Muslim, and Wiccan students are going to keep their mouths shut. I think they're banking on an intimidating christian majority.

@carlyhorton That what Christian Supremacists imagine, and I hope both the ACLU and FFRF give any school that follows that absurd piece of legislation a thorough spanking.

Can you say theocracy? I thought you could... There is no way this law would stand as constitutional except with the Roberts court, not any lower court at the federal level...

Sounds like Oklahoma needs a visit from a Clarence Darrow (or another visit from the Satanists). Teaching students something that may lead to them questioning a religious belief is not the fault of teachers and should not be prohibited. Students need to be able to learn about subjects which may disagree with certain religious teachings. Students will eventually make up their own minds about what they will believe.

Imo, Rob Standridge needs a sharp and rigorous knocks across the head and ears with a few hundred lengths of 4 x 2 inch hardwood.

With every passing day the US just keeps sinking further and further towards irrelevance. There’s no other way to say it……..this is Banana republic shit here.

Everything real in the entire effing world contradicts religion. The teachers will have to stand there and say nothing all day.

After the past couple if years and this type of insanity, there will be no teachers left.

The other day, I heard someone say that "no teachers left" is part of the point. There's a thought that if republicans can damage public education enough, they can get more kids into private schools.

@linxminx Yes, there have been measures to either give parents tax -payer money to go to private school or to just bleed public schools of resources, but this is that idea on steroids. This level of sabotage is breathtaking. In other states, there are other teacher-crushing proposals like making teachers post a whole year of lesson plans that have to be approved by a board made up of parents and educators with a parent majority. And parents can opt out of any lesson and the teacher has to come up with something new.

@carlyhorton It absolutely is. Conservatives want to get rid of unions and the teachers' unions are some of the largest.

A well-put view on education bills in Oklahoma, including SB1470 and other similar political and religious incursions --

[tulsakids.com]

Quote:

HB2988
This one seeks to ban teachers from teaching ... “That one race is the unique oppressor in the institution of slavery,” and point three, “That another race is the unique victim in the institution of slavery,” made me wonder where he learned U.S. history. Were the oppressors green aliens and the oppressed purple smurfs? Of course white people were oppressors and Black people were oppressed.

Feelings over facts AGAIN, it is a very dangerous precedent

Why teach religion at school at all!!!?
Damnn they're going backwards!!!

They take pride in being stupid / ignorant.

Religion is such a loose word, after all there are so many.

These sort of people would argue Christianity is the ONLY religion, everything else is satanic, and that it is church and state NOT church and Mosque, so the concerns of heathens does not count

@SeaGreenEyez Yes, it will be very interesting if it get voted in.

Possible NEW version of the Rodgers and Hammerstein's song, Oklahoma,
"OKLAHOMA, where winds have DRIED OUT Standridges brains,
and the bibles rule across the plains,"
Anyone fancy adding their ideas/verses, etc, please do.

🙄🤔This is very terrible situation for teachers. I was teaching about the solar system in my preschool class. So when I was explaining about the planets and their names, one of the child said " oh you are saying bad words" when I mentioned the name of the planet Uranus. So next morning the child's parents came to my classroom with an explosive actitud. They told me that their child said that I was teaching bad words in class. I explained that our theme for the week was about the solar system and the names of the planets. So they said "We are a very religious family and we don't teach our children that kind of stuff. So they did not bring their child back to my classroom.🤪🙄

Little do the parents know they could have just scripted an SNL or Monty Python skit.

Holy crap!

Very sad that you have to deal with such stupid people. Do the child protection people not do anything about such child abuse?

That's fucking ridiculous!!! It's a pure fascist measure!!! What would be great to see is having two students with opposite beliefs to see how they would turn the situation around...

The way this is worded, all the Teacher could do is declare that they can no longer safely teach in such a situation, plead the fifth and recuse themselves from the classroom and the situation.

@LenHazell53, thanks for the explanation. Here in Europe there aren't such thing as the Amendments like in the US. Still seems a fascist measure to take and a way to discriminate someone who thinks differently.

@Paddypereira Exactly, the US legal system is screwed up, a law like this could not be passed here in the UK and most of Europe.

I agree, the only education anyone needs is given in the bubble. I know this as I am trying to understand Ultra-hyperbolic differential Geometry, and I find all I need to know about this in the chapter on extra-galactic travel, I think it is somewhere within Ezekiel.

Yes, I think it was one of the six wing'ed cherubs who discoursed upon it at length, during the 3-year period Ezekiel was walking about naked and eating bread baked in his own poop.

@LenHazell53 Yes, thank you, now I can really get to the meat of the topic.

This will ensure that only like minded religious teachers need apply to be teachers in their state. Interesting ploy...

If they truly wish to discard science, they should start by giving up all the benefits that science has brought them….
They can start by tossing out their cell phones and air conditioners…..🤠

Insane practice in the heart of the Bible belt

bobwjr Level 10 Feb 19, 2022
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:651436
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.