Agnostic.com

6 4

LINK Why aren't you a Trump supporter?

After reading this I'm not sure why I'm not a Maga loving Trump supporter. Mystery of mysteries.

As a social progressive, I know that I benefit from all kinds of unearned privilege. So why is it so hard to recognize the role privilege has played in making me progressive in the first place?

By DALE MCGOWAN
Dale McGowan is the author of books including Parenting Beyond Belief, Raising Freethinkers, and Atheism for Dummies. He holds degrees in evolutionary anthropology and music

So you weren’t a Trump supporter in the last election, and you won’t be in the next . Same here. Well done us.

But the question stands: Why aren’t you a Trump supporter? You’re probably saying, “Because I’m not an idiot,” or “I’m not a racist,” or “I have a goddamn moral center.” I believe you. But even if each of those is true, there’s a larger question: Why are you this non-idiot, non-racist, non-immoral person? What got you there?

I think we often take too much credit for getting these things right.

For years I gave myself most of the credit for my progressive views. I had just reached down deep inside and thought my way out of ignorance, empathized my way out of hate.

But at some point, I started to wonder what the difference is between my claim of scrappy self-reliance and the conservative claim that the poor and people of color and women just need to bootstrap themselves up to all the good things enjoyed by rich white men.

Progressives recognize those as privilege issues. People don’t all enjoy the same advantages, and uneven outcomes have more to do with structural inequality than lack of effort or talent. My several overlapping privileges make things easier for me in a way that is mostly unearned. Part of being politically progressive is acknowledging that fact, recognizing what others are up against, and doing what we can to even the playing field.

But flip that over for a minute. Being progressive helps me recognize privilege—but what role has privilege played in making me progressive in the first place? What unearned advantages made it possible for me to resist this grotesque con artist who has so thoroughly snowed millions, including people I know and love? If we rolled back the film of my life, stripped me of those benefits, then replayed the last few years, what would be different for me?

It kills me to admit this, but upend a few of my circumstances, and I would almost certainly have voted for Trump.

Who we (still) are
Let’s start with the -pound dog’s breakfast in our skulls.

We think of 21st-century humans as obviously smarter than we were 50,000 years ago, in the Paleolithic. Collectively that’s true. Individually, it’s bollocks. Not of us is born knowing how to plant wheat, do heart surgery, play the piano, or understand calculus. In every case, we exhibit this intelligence by reaping the benefits of millennia of cultural evolution. And every bit of the reaping happens after we are born.

As obvious as that should be, we still carry around this unarticulated sense that we’re born modern in some way—that the Scientific Revolution and the Enlightenment and whatever progress we’ve made in racial and gender equity are all somehow present at birth in a way they were not in a Stone Age newborn.

It’s not true. People 50,000 years ago were anatomically and behaviorally modern. They had brains functionally identical to ours. And we are as unmarked at birth by all that scientific and cultural progress as a Paleolithic child would have been.

We’re all essentially born in the Stone Age. Then we have about 7,000 days to catch on 50,000 years of cultural evolution, becoming fully functional adults in the modern world—or failing to do so.

Picture cultural evolution, the amassing of knowledge and experience on which the modern world is built, as a line ascending gradually left to right over 50,000 years. It dips and rises, but the net direction over time is positive. Even today, each person is born at the Stone Age baseline of biological evolution, down below the rising line of culture. Then billions of individual lines arc toward the collective culture line as it passes overhead, most of us topping off well below the line itself.

How far below is the question.

In childhood, we’re brought from the Stone Age into the modern world by education and experience. How it goes depends on countless other factors. The task is made more difficult by a set of tendencies, fears, and limitations forged by life on the African savanna. More than 0,000 hominid generations were spent at the edge of extinction before we began to settle into more stable agricultural communities ,000 years ago. 500 generations have passed since then, and just 20 generations since the start of the Scientific Revolution. That’s too evolutionary time to shape our brains in any significant way.

500 generations is an evolutionary whisper as the loudspeakers of the Paleolithic continue to play at .

There are some benefits to entering the world through a 21st-century mother, like better pre-natal care. But as far as the functioning brain is concerned, the last ,000 years haven’t even happened.

Our natural instincts aren’t meant to help us make good decisions traveling 70 miles per hour in a metal box surrounded by other great apes doing the same, or even while standing in front of an open refrigerator. Yet it’s those misplaced instincts we’re born with. hundred generations is an evolutionary whisper as the loudspeakers of the Paleolithic continue to play at .

That’s why it takes so to push the Paleolithic buttons in our heads.

Most of what I know about opposing Trump I learned in kindergarten. Or didn’t have to learn at all
You and I can both list 0 reasons that supporting Trumpism is not wrong but obviously, blindingly wrong. So why does anybody fail to see that?

Even when Trump supporters were in the political driver’s seat, I wouldn’t have traded places with them for the world. I have my own shortcomings, but this I got right. And by finding myself on the outside of the immoral, frightened, hateful, ill-informed, easily-manipulated mess Trump supporters are mired in, I’m in the privileged position, not them—and I didn’t bootstrap myself into it.

I’ve experienced less fear and insecurity than most people, especially when I was , which helped my Paleolithic buttons stay unpushed. That’s reason I’m not a social conservative, thing that made it easy for me to value and accept diversity instead of being threatened by it.

I got a broad critical education and was allowed to think freely, encouraged to explore the world around me and to find it wonderful, all of which made me less vulnerable to manipulation by demagogues.

College isn’t necessary or sufficient for this. The right teacher in eighth grade can help you see how motivated reasoning gets in the way of seeing the world clearly, then get you asking the right questions for the rest of your life. Some people never had that teacher. And I’m a blind and dumb progressive if I can’t acknowledge that many others missed out on that education for reasons out of their control, and recognize that education itself strongly pushes in direction politically.

I didn’t have a disempowering life crisis before I developed the personal resources to manage such a thing, so I never had to retreat too far into the cave of my innate fears.

Then there’s empathy. Most of the reasons I opposed that administration had nothing to do with its effects on me or my family. It’s empathy for more vulnerable people that makes me sick and angry and motivated to get us to the other side of this. And I didn’t just will myself into that empathy—I had help.

I felt safe growing . My parents were not authoritarian, my economic and racial bubbles were permeable, and I never attended a dogmatic church that spent Sundays and Wednesdays replacing my curiosity and empathy with tribalism and fear. I was never frightened with hell or made to question my own worth. Some people had these deficits but still found their way out by drawing on other privileges. Others had too steep a climb.

There’s also the temperamental or even genetic predisposition toward anxiety and a high startle reflex, measurable as early as age , that the longitudinal Block and Block study found to correlate highly with political conservatism later in life. Current estimates put the genetic component of temperament between 20 and 60 percent—yet another driver of political conviction that is significantly out of our control.

If I swapped my genes, my temperament, my upbringing, my education, and my experiences for those of the most die-hard Trump supporter in my family, I would have supported Trump.

The fact that many people I know and love were largely robbed by circumstance of the ability to function in a world in which comfortable categories are disrupted, once easy moral answers are seen as immoral, and humans are paradoxically both cosmically unimportant and capable of killing the planet—that fact complicates my response to the cultural bonfire they’ve set. Even as I work like hell to contain the spread of that fire, I find it hard to simply yell “Racist!” or “Idiot!” as if we all had the same shot and they just made worse choices.

If I swapped my genes, my upbringing, my education, and my experiences for those of the most die-hard Trump supporter in my family, I would have supported Trump.

Yes, it’s hard to grant all this when they are standing on the necks of the most vulnerable, claiming persecution while ignoring their own rampant privilege, hooting and grinning and lying without a trace of shame, and doing their level best to turn back the clock on the very things that have lifted us out of the muck. They are hardly sympathetic victims here.

That doesn’t make the privilege gap any less real.

We can argue by exceptions (“I was in a terrible school/church/family and I turned out fine,” etc.), but the bottom line is this: Somewhere, at some level, I had advantages that made it not just possible but easy and obvious for me to reject what Trump and Co. are selling. It wasn’t all my doing. Many others lacked at least some unearned privilege that I have had, and as a result have found themselves in thrall to a madness that I was never at any real risk of falling into myself.

So even if we accept this idea…what do we do with it?

I think it’s like any newly-discovered privilege. In the long run, you work to level the playing field. That doesn’t stop me from opposing toxic ideas and actions right now, but recognizing the un-level playing field has changed my approach. A world that had been not infuriating but baffling to me for years started coming into focus. I started talking to and about people differently and looking at the culture war in a new way.

The idea of fixing this kind of culture split is incredibly daunting. It’s probably too late to do much for those over a certain age, other than restrain their thrashing arms with the most compassion we can manage, gently but firmly prying Congress and the nuclear codes out of their grip whenever they manage to latch on. The next generations are where the real hope is, helping our and grandkids fully join the 21st century. And it’s not just about knowledge—to keep those buttons unpushed, they also need confidence, empathy, and security.

As it turns out, we know from child development research just how to give them those things—by pursuing an authoritative rather than authoritarian style of parenting.

You start with a responsive and stable home life. Build a strong attachment with parents and other significant adults. Don’t hit or humiliate them or let others do so. Encourage them to challenge authority, including your own. Make them comfortable with difference. Use knowledge to drive out fear. Build a sense of curiosity and wonder that will keep them self-educating for life. Let them know that your love and are unconditional. Teach and expect responsibility and maturity. Encourage self-reliance. Help them find and develop “flow” activities and lose themselves in them. Paleolithic buttons stay unpushed, and future Trumps sink deep in their pillows, remotes bouncing on bellies as they shout impotently at glowing screens in their various Mar-a-Lagos.

With any luck, a generation so raised will spread their confidence and security to others more effectively than we have done, and our own generation can take our jittery Paleo-arsonist tendencies with us to the void.

HippieChick58 9 Feb 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Does not explain identical twins, raised in a comfortable white suburban setting with Dad off to work 5 days a week, Mom staying home to care for the kids and tend the home. One is progressive, atheist, plays well alone and gets news from Reuters and center left sources. Met a guy who was fun, kind, bike cycled and happened to be Black. The other joins the church, votes republican/trump, is anti-vax, gets the news from fox, oann, etc and had to be asked to stop using the n word around me.
We have a younger sister who's like me and can't figure out what happen to our other sister.
We certainly were not the Cleavers but I do know once out in the world and on my own whiteness let me move with ease through the world. What got in my way of earning money was being a woman. No matter how many times I answered a help wanted ad for a camera operator at one particular printing company in Seattle I never got hired. That firm never hired Blacks or women. It was years before I got a job in a Union shop and that certainly has had an impact now that I get Social Security.
My twin got a job at GM right when there was a push to get more Blacks and women in the skilled trades. Her big concern was the Black woman who was also applying would get the position. Of course she made the cut. Paid for school, good apprenticeship program and Union scale tool and dye maker. Her SS benefit per month is higher than mine.
I would never vote for trump for the same reason I did not vote for reagan.

I have a sister who is the only religionist among 7 (6 atheists) siblings). She always had a low-self esteem and would literally spend hours in front of a mirror applying make-up to go out. Now her house is full of boxes and in a state of remodeling because she feels she has to get things in perfect order. Still, we all get along and she does gently push her beliefs (JW) on us. Often there's a mental problem lurking in the background and nothing (outside of brain surgery) one can do will change that.

I am not a Trump supporter because I have issues with bigotry, racism, sexism, willful stupidity, arrogance, narcissism, greed, bullying, deception and misanthropy.

Misanthropy isn't targeted or arbitrary. I don't think it's fair to lump it in with the rest of those awful things.

I last voted Repub when Eisenhower was a candidate: 1956.

I'm not a Trump supporter because I can speak English, balance myself without help and have more than the two brain cells required to breathe.

I didn't read all of that. I didn't even read most of it. I quickly saw the direction it was taking and surmised two things: 1. That's a really long winded way to describe a single thing we don't control because humans lack free will and 2. this author won't have the balls to take this to that clear and obvious conclusion and actually say it. You can tell me if I'm right.

Sorry, I am not going to do the work for you. If you don't read it then you'll never know.

@HippieChick58 Guess I'll never know unless someone else chimes in. 😝

Trump is a lying con man and grifter. He has that knack of making his supporters believe that he likes and hates the same things they do. With Trump gone a year now a man I work with told me today that we really do need to build Trump's wall. This man was serious. I'm thinking of asking him if he ever sent Trump any money.

Rhetorical question, for sure.

We need to build a wall of a different kind. A circular one with a six foot diameter. And no doors.

@PondartIncbendog And 20 feet high.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:652217
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.