Agnostic.com

8 13

I don't know about you, but when I was growing, we had a conch shell Jesus. It was a "TV lamp" (that's what it was called) that set on the TV so you wouldn't go blind (I guess) from watching TV in the dark. This is not a picture of our conch shell Jesus, though; I still have the shell, but Jesus long ago broke off and was lost.

When I got older, I didn't understand why "they" would put Jesus in front of a glowing conch shell as he had no relationship with islands in the Caribbean. Now, I find it sublimely ridiculous. However, until I was a teenager, I found it a thing of great beauty. I also found that there is also an abalone shell Jesus--they weren't around when I was small, and maybe they were considered heresy among the people whom I knew.

(And no, I don't own these--took a picture of the abalone shell in a thrift shop and found the other online.)

Gwendolyn2018 9 Mar 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

At my 6th birthday party, I received a small night light as a gift similar to these. I immediately broke the jesus off & later glued a small horse in its place.

Shells provide exceptional textures and colors. Christianizing the display of shells provides the blessing that excuses displaying material wealth.

You're no fun. Go back to scaring arachnophobes.

Jesus on the half shell?

Clam up

Unbelievable

Some things just can’t be explained.

nice.reminded me. if you're not familiar with the film.....they just told him his mother had died.

When I read "abalone shell Jesus", this song/scene is what I immediately thought of.

@FearlessFly premium cinema.

@Gwendolyn2018 Cool Hand Luke is one of my all-time favorites :

First you said Jesus was lost. Then it was abalone (all baloney).

Anymore pearls of wisdom?

I'm surprised Jesus didn't show up three days after he went missing.

He did but the dinosaurs ate him.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:653818
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.