Agnostic.com

2 11

I went to first Saturday music at a local bookstore and decided I should look the books over and support their book sales as well as the free music

A book titled "This Land is Herland" caught my eye. as I flipped through the book it had a chapter on my friend and fellow Oklahoma ERA supporter Wanda Jo Peltier. Here's the picture they used in the book and I took it when I took her to the tree planting for Wilma Mankiller. Wanda organized the second largest women's political caucus in the nation in Oklahoma during the ERA drive. New York was the only state with a bigger caucus. She also kept dozens of us busy walking door to door all over the state of Oklahoma to try to get the ERA passed. We only lost by two votes which almost sounds like a miracle the more I've learned about Oklahoma politics.

Lorajay 9 Apr 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I was in the 1970s pro-ERA effort in San Francisco. One married man came around quickly when I asked if he would like his wife to get a salary like his if she had to support their family.

Her name was really Wilma Mankiller?

Evidently she got married and divorced.

Her husband was lucky to get out of that one.

BD66 Level 8 Apr 3, 2022

The Cherokees in northeastern Oklahoma we're lucky to have her as chief. She brought rural water lines to their homes for the first time in their lives and it was 21st century.

"Wilma Mankiller - Wikipedia" [en.m.wikipedia.org]

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:658900
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.