Agnostic.com

6 8

LINK Ontario mom shocked, somehow, by Catholic school's anti-abortion homework

St. Patrick Catholic Elementary School in Ontario recently told 8th grade students to draw a poster with the phrase “Unborn Babies Matter” as part of an assignment that counted for a grade… and would also be entered in a contest held by Oxford County Right to Life, a local anti-abortion group. The winner would receive a $50 cash prize.

snytiger6 9 Apr 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

If that’s not indoctrination, then what is?

It’s a Catholic school for crying out loud! If you don’t want your kids indoctrinated send them to a public school. Seems pretty simple.

Oh Canada! Stop funding religion. While the kids finish out the school year, tho, I do like Hemant Mehta's suggestions for the poster.

Do not take this as aggression/aggressive, etc, etc, because it is by no means NOT BUT why are you so intent upon a place NORTH of the U.S. ceasing to fund religion when the same and even WORSE is occurring on your very doorstep?
should one NOT put their OWN house in order BEFORE expecting the same of their neighbour/s?

@Triphid I agree the U.S. is much worse, and I'm trying to do what I can to make things better here. But I can also at least express my concern for this. If a Canadian criticizes the U.S. for its theocracy, I'd feel a kindred voice of support. Solidarity.

Unborn babies matter. In your bibble the baby did not become a bay (real person) until it was born. OK, the bibble was wrong.

Ontario is a French Province so lots of stupid Catholics. I would question who feels the need to promote this, of course the priests. With so much child abuse how can any Catholic not see through this total crap? It's so obvious to the rest of us.

Send your kids to a religious school, and this is what you should expect.
Canada still has a lot to fix.

They do. Including the way they keep pushing away inquiries into the massive residential school abuse. 😔

@Lauren There is a lot of polarization in Ontario and there has always been a Catholic school system that taxpayers can direct their property taxes to, it's not like the US where religious schools are private schools, although we have private schools and some of them are religious but generally just for rich elites.
The residential school abuse is getting a lot of attention (FINALLY) and the Pope actually apologized to a native Canadian delegation with a follow up trip to apologize in person this year. This has been an ongoing problem that has been shelved over the years, particularly by our Conservative party (your GOP) but Trudeau has been addressing the problem and it is long overdue. As a 9th generation Canadian there is most likely some blood on my ancestors hands around this matter as well, not in a religious sense but more in a sense of taking the land by force, such as has been done all through history but it still doesn't make it right.

@SnowyOwl I appreciate that Canada is taking action on the residential school abuse and commend them for it. I'm not sure I hold a lot of that commendation for the pope, who seems to believe an apology is the only action required on issues of child abuse. But all of that is more than the US has done in addressing the abuse in our own residential schools, so shame on us (again).

All of our relatives have blood on their hands for one reason or another, but I don't think it conveys to future generations unless they refuse to learn from their ancestors mistakes.

@Lauren I agree with you on the Pope not being worthy of praise for just acknowledging and apologizing for the atrocities committed against native peoples and the rest of the world for that matter but compared to previous popes it is at least an acknowledgement that there was wrongdoing by the Church and several churches for that matter. Religions are all about subjugation and control of the population, basically the scum that hangs off of the roots of pond scum in my opinion and I accept none of the good deeds bullshit that they like to trot out when they are caught red handed buggering little children and then shifting the blame and sheltering their leaders.
That said it is a move in the right direction and wrongs must be righted if we are to have a just society.
As someone once said, The people will only be free when the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:662338
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.