Agnostic.com

1 1

Should Public Libraries provide access to ALL eBooks ? Why/not ?

Ebook Services Are Bringing Unhinged Conspiracy Books into Public Libraries

Librarians say Holocaust deniers, antivaxxers, and other conspiracy theorists are being featured in the catalogs of a popular ebook lending service.

[vice.com]books-into-public-libraries

FearlessFly 9 Apr 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

That's a tough question to answer. Normally, I'd be in favor of making all books available. Libraries already contain books that are not truthful, though most of that is filed under FICTION. You can find library books on mythology and religion and witchcraft and psychic powers.

So, I suppose it depends on how a book is categorized. Religion categorized as history would be absolutely wrong. Aromatherapy or voodoo categorized under medical science would be wrong.

I have no problem with someone self publishing a book that says bananas are actually used by the Chinese government to mind control people. I have a huge problem with such a book being presented as factual rather than fiction.

But sadly, in our current Misinformation Age we have too many ignorant and gullible people who will believe any such nonsense... including conspiracy theories about bananas used for thought control. We shouldn't have to protect idiots from lies but if we do nothing our great grandkids will be donning tinfoil hats and hunting down and executing innocent bananas to protect themselves from the "enemy".

Yea... you laugh now, but just wait and see.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:662494
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.