Agnostic.com

10 14

LINK A Christian college punished a sexual assault victim for having premarital sex

Roughly five years ago, a teenager at a private Christian school became pregnant. Visibly pregnant. And that was the problem right there. The girl chose not to have an abortion because it violated her religious beliefs. Because she didn’t do that, though, the school punished her for having premarital sex: She wasn’t allowed to receive her diploma on stage with the other graduates. It raised a lot of questions about the message sent by that Christian institution: Weren’t they basically incentivizing students to get an abortion in that situation?

I thought of that story when I heard about Mara Louk, a senior at Visible Music College, a Christian school in Memphis, Tennessee.

As reported by NBC News‘ Tyler Kingkade, Louk was sexually assaulted by a classmate last year. At the very least, she hoped that by reporting the assault, the school would make sure that student wasn’t in any of her classes and not a threat to her own well-being. She also reported the crime to police.

The police said they didn’t have enough evidence to make an arrest. That in itself is one issue, but the bar for punishment was significantly lower at the school, where Louk wasn’t expecting an expulsion. She just wanted the school to enforce some kind of distance between the two, so he couldn’t hurt her, in addition to other steps they might take.

Instead, they did even less than the bare minimum.

The accused student was someone Louk had confided in, and when he was brought in for questioning, he told school officials that she had slept with her ex-boyfriend prior to the night of the alleged incident. Louk denied that ever happened.

Still, the school used that information against her.

The college wanted Louk to sign what it called a “pastoral care contract,” confessing to breaking rules on premarital sex. According to a copy of the contract reviewed by NBC News, Louk would be required to finish her degree online, barred from campus and prohibited from talking to other students about her alleged assault.

“We strongly believe that these restrictions will aid in bringing some needed structure, and will ensure that you are able to address the spiritual and emotional issues behind the infringements,” the contract stated.

So because Louk went to school authorities about an alleged sexual assault, they punished her for consensual sex with someone else… which she denied. Because of that, she refused to sign that contract admitting she broke the premarital sex rules. She later finished the semester online before dropping out entirely and moving back home. She was only nine credits short of graduating.

Her predicament raises all kinds of legal and ethical concerns.
HELP SUPPORT THE
Movement

And bring secular storytelling to everyone.

Your financial support helps us to inspire over 85 million Americans living without religion through original storytelling and a community of curious individuals
Support OnlySky ➛

(This, one again, demonstrates how Christianity if patriarchal in nature, and how women are blamed for any sexual wrong doing, while the men have no consequences.)

snytiger6 9 May 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Let's get around to naming names. The fantastic house across the road was sold in 2013. This is not a crime area; what an ideally unlikely place for criminals to operate from. I, and the neighbours called the police many times about the BOOMS, FROM THEIR BOOM BOX. The yard was soon filled with about 12 wrecked cars. They were keeping dogs for dog fighting. The crime list was long. They were pimping an underage girl; she escaped; the police finally raided the crime scene.

The TORONTO STAR wrote a fiction about this on Jan. 6, 2016. Was it ever a beauty!--There wasn't a lie missed!! The mistreated "boys" were just running a "car repair business" in an area zoned residential

Welcome to the immorality of the God Mob.

But, but...it is Always the female who is a fault! You know, they are just Asking for it with those flirtatious ways from age 6 months onward....

Any woman who attends a “christian” school needs her fucking head examined! None of those Misogynistic institutions care one bit about a woman.

When I worked in India, some arseholes broke into a schools boarding house and kidnapped a girl who was gang raped for days. She eventually escaped and found her way home. When she went to return to the school she was refused entry, they had expelled her...........for tarnishing the schools reputation apparently.(it was quite major news in Orissa district, where it happened). The school ran the boarding facilities. The newspaper article was supportive of the schools actions.
I recall reading the paper, mouth open just shaking my head in shock. Unbelievable.
INDIA aka I'll Never Do India Again!!!!!

puff Level 8 May 2, 2022

Maybe they should have branded her like in The Scarlet Letter. I don't see our society as going forward here.

ANd the rapist graduated I'll bet. Misogyny, pure and simple. Sadly this is why rape is so under reported.

MizJ Level 8 May 2, 2022

Yikes! What warped values that college has! Ugh!

If this was a story about a woman in a Middle Eastern country, not only would it be normal, but probably would have ended her life. Religion in Western countries are dead set on removing a century or so of civilization and going back to stoning women for fornication and burning or hanging them as witches.

Straight from the buy bull. The rape victim is punished not the man doing the raping.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:663930
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.