Agnostic.com

13 12

LINK A teacher tore down a non-Christian verse on her classroom "prayer wall"

A Christian teacher at a public high school in Tulsa, Oklahoma is using her position to preach to students. There’s anecdotal evidence she’s doing this, it’s not the first time she’s been caught promoting her radical views to students, and she’s openly admitted that all teachers should follow her lead. Somehow, though, she’s faced no consequences for any of this, including for putting a “prayer wall” in her classroom.

According to the Freedom From Religion Foundation, Memorial High School biology teacher Amy Cook created a “prayer room” in the back of her classroom where students could go and pray. It’s a wall littered with Bible verses and the like. That’s problematic enough. But one of her non-Christian students attempted to add a different kind of prayer to the wall; this one asked for the “gods and goddesses” to help students achieve their goals.

Not only was that prayer taken down from the wall, Cook allegedly lashed out at the student:

snytiger6 9 May 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Time for another major Lawsuit.

FFRF has been alerted to nuff said. It will soon go away.

A classroom prayer room where students can go and pray. WTF for? Maybe you want Jebus to help you on the test, or you just don't think Bobby should be allowed to pass the test. WTF is this sort of thing for. Someone please tell me. Public school is not Sunday School or religious school.

Christian supremacists seek every opportunity to spread their hatred and lies.

If the school board refuses to take action then teachers like her will continue to indoctrinate the students.
You can't fault christians for trying that's what they are taught to do. You can fault the authority figures for allowing it. It will be up to parents to get together and put pressure on the school board to make the changes.

Betty Level 8 May 5, 2022

What fuckwits like her fail to realise is that she is generating a horrible backlash against Christians in future generations.

Is that a problem?

@rainmanjr I see it as a potential problem. It would depend on the nature of the backlash.

@anglophone What's a problem for cons is not a problem for Dems (or me).

@rainmanjr Sorry, I fail to grasp your meaning.

@anglophone A gop problem is not a problem for anyone else. It should make them more beatable.

The Christian Gestapo strikes again I see.
What will be next, All unmarried women and pubescent girls MUST wear approved Chastity belts 24/7?

That may be the rout if nothing is done to prevent it.

@Betty But imo, a complacency in regards to religion and the antics, etc, of the more "radical" of the religious is what is allowing these sorts of things to take hold and remain powerful in the U.S.

@Triphid Classrooms offer a captive audience. The churches encourage teachers to use that platform to indoctrinate the students. School boards will do nothing if complaints are not made. It is always up to parents to organize and apply pressure on the School boards.
We can't count on politicians as long as Christians have a large voting block. Politicians are self-serving.

Don't give them any ideas. Right now there is likely a lawmaker in Texas drawing up that very thing

@Betty Don't I know it.
At High School we had a certain Teacher, whom I shall not and REFUSE to soil my mouth with his name WHO insisted upon PREACHING the Tenets and Ideologies of Marx, Lenin and Stalin as though he was reading from the bible.
That same person, and I suspect that possibly the following reference may jog the memories of @Jolanta, later switch sides to join the Labor Party and stand for and gain seats as both Mayor of Broken Hill and as a Member of the New South Wales Parliament as well.
It was a BLACK day for Broken Hill when he came to town imo, and even BLACKER when he entered politics and found the alcohol flowed freely and cheaply when one waved about a card showing that one was a Politician.

@wolf041 No need to because, imo, the REAL and True Free thinkers in the U.S. have already lost to the Gospel Singers and God-botherers hand over fist.
And Why you may ask, because IMO, too many Keyboard>Keypad Warriors and NOWHERE enough people with guts and backbone to STAND up and be COUNTED.

She needs to be sacked.

Sacked, Tarred, Feathered and run out of town imo.

She is an example of the ineducability of Christian supremacists across the nation.

@anglophone Maybe she is trying her best to attract the attention of Ken Ham in the hope of becoming his next Consort/Wife, that is IF Ham-head can even manage to satisfy a woman sexually?

That only works if systems are in place to ensure there is no chance of a repeat.

When will Congress explicitly outlaw Christian supremacism?

They won't as long as they maintain a large voting block.

If not fired she must be told to take down the prayer wall and apologize to the student in question.

That bitch needs to lose her job.

Ok... radical Christian biology teacher ? Exactly what about this didn't send up a red flag in the first place?

Kind of an Oxymoron I think, a Chrustian ( Christian) Biology Teacher, I wonder howshe got around the subjects WITHOUT using bible stories to explain the FACTS?

@Triphid There is only one fact that matters to such dimwits: goddidit.

She needs to be fired as a teacher.

Or at least disciplined and taught the 1st Amendment.

@Flyingsaucesir I doubt her ability to teach. I suspect she is totally incapable of learning anything, let alone learning that she violated the 1st Amendment.

Any possibility of cancelling her certification as a Human Being as well?

@anglophone I am not inclined to give up on people that easily. We have all made mistakes, and life is for learning. Hey, this site has lots of members who have turned away from superstition and toward reason.

@Flyingsaucesir You are right. I may have become extremely cynical in what I see as a determined onslaught by Christian supremacists on everybody who has a different standpoint.

@anglophone I totally sympathize with you. It all seems overwhelming. But we have to keep our heads, take a deep breath, and continue to put one foot in front of the other.

@Flyingsaucesir My anger simply does not come into play whenever anybody expresses doubts about their god; I am instead supportive of them. My anger is reserved for those who try to ram their particular sky fairy down other people's throats.

@anglophone Understood. I feel the same way. But I would rather reason with them than shoot them. Even if that reasoning takes years.

One good debate strategy is to cite their own vaunted scripture to reinforce your point.

@Flyingsaucesir You are more patient than I am. I simply cannot communicate with any religious fundamentalist. In my experience, pointing out the logical fallacies in their claims never reaches their prefrontal cortices.

@anglophone 🤣🤣🤣

@Flyingsaucesir She’s a biology teacher ffs. If she is still peddling that horseshit after receiving her education in science, she’s a lost cause nut jobber….just trust me on this one….👀

@Buck You have a good point there. However, there are perfectly good scientists who are also religious believers.

When I was a relatively new biology teacher I was part of a small group of science teachers who volunteered to serve on a textbook adoption committee. The book I voted for, which was infused with Darwinian evolution, and which we adopted for biology classes, was co-written by Ken Miller, Ph.D. Professor Miller, at the time, taught biology at Brown University, and testified as an expert witness (for the plaintiffs) at the court trial over the teaching of Intelligent Design in the Dover, Pennsylvania High School. The judge in the case ultimately decided that Intelligent Design is just what Miller said it was: religion masquerading as science. In a film documentary about the case Miller neatly does away with the argument that as a scientist he is biased against religion by revealing that he is also a devout Catholic who attends mass regularly. The documentary has footage of Professor Miller attending mass and praying at his church. And this guy is as serious an evolutionary biologist as you are ever going to come across. He's the real deal.

Who was it that said a sign of a first-rate mind is the ability to simultaneously hold two opposing and contradictory thoughts?

@Flyingsaucesir A first rate mind would not hold to a believe that doesn’t stand up to the “scientific method”! Regardless of that shitty quote some nut jobber contrived!? 🤠

@Buck Actually I didn't quote him precisely, but it was F. Scott Fitzgerald.

I can't speak for Professor Miller, but I would guess that he, like many other "believers," does not subscribe to literal interpretations of scripture. If you take it as poetry, then more of it becomes palatable.

What's the matter? Can't stand the competition?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:664474
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.