Agnostic.com

7 6

Why the lack of (authentic) religion breeds mental illness.

[agnostic.com]

skado 9 May 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Seems that would be the opinion of a group comprised of religious people and inclined to a bias toward religion. Sadly, the majority of the population, has been indoctrinated into religion to a certain degree and get to decide what is "abnormal."
If the vast majority of the population were blind, and everyday culture was biased to that as the accepted norm, a sighted person describing their life would be seen as quite mad and dangerous.

The idea that religion is perpetuated primarily by indoctrination is not supported by scientific evidence.

@skado It is on the fucking money in the United States.

It is in a pledge of allegiance to a piece of cloth people want to force US children to intone every day.

Tell us how that is not indoctrination and cultural bias.

@BufftonBeotch
I didn’t say indoctrination doesn’t exist. I said it’s not the primary means of perpetuation. The indoctrination is more a symptom of human religious inclination than a cause of it.
It is widely understood in current scientific circles to be inherent in human bio-cultural evolution.

That seems like an oxymoron to me. Authentic religion????? I’ve never found anything authentic about any religion

It can be exceedingly difficult to find. The video acknowledges that institutionalized and organized religions are often (I'd say almost always) corrupt. So they are not the most dependable representation of authentic religion.

What I get from this is, if you live a life of comic absurdity, your life will have meaning! Reality is--- whether we like it or not. If there is a second life- yes we may come back- as a happy butterfly.
How is it not to be sorry, for this cold, sick, empty bastard?

You may have missed the point.

@skado NO, friend @skado it is you who has missed the point entirely,
To 100% honest, were you comment (????) a train I would state without a shadow of a doubt that it derailed whist still standing completely idle in the Marshalling Yards.
Sorry to tell you this friend @skado BUT Alabama logic only works in Alabama NOT in the REAL world.

"Why the lack of (authentic) religion breeds mental illness" is a headline that gives the impression of the introduction of a new religious stick as in carrot and stick.

Just what is authentic religion? What Jung was explaining is why mankind seeks and needs a religion. None of it was in support of religion. It was about why we create religions.

Religion is created to control people. Just because you are religious doesn't make you mental ill.

Did you watch the whole video?

@xenoview Actually, in recent surveys conducted through MOST Western Countries, though I must add that, sadly and unfortunately the U.S. scored the LOWEST percentage of ALL Western countries btw, it was found to be a FACT, a PROVEN Fact, that " the Greater the percentile of Religious persons in a country the Greater the occurrences of Mental Illnesses to be found amongst those who adhere to religion."
And the second, and in my opinion as a Psychologist, was that " amongst those found to be suffering from mental illnesses and who were religious 97.3% refused to seek medical help when suggested or offered and of that 97.3% a further survey discovered that the top 3 reasons given for refusal to seek help were,

1. Because God/Jesus/the Minister/Priest, etc, etc, IS the only person here on Earth that has the power to cure me (us),
  2. " I place my trust, my life and the lives of my family in the hands of a person who was called by God and Jesus to perform their miracles on Earth on their behalf," and last but by no means least,
  3. (and N.B. garnered from over 2 MILLION, yes that is 2,000,000 ) responses from all the countries in the survey, this was the most prevalent in the U.S. " I am a Christian, a True and Peace Loving Christian NOW get out of my Face before I shoot you."

Yeah, NO.

Belief in gods and religion is the mental illness.

This isn’t about that.

@skado Twist and turn a TURD any which way you like and can but it still remains a TURD.

Why do you post links with other post here in agnostic?

In answer to your question, it's called trolling. Some posters post nothing but trolling bullshit.

Note the bait and switch. While his comment reads: "Why the lack of (authentic) religion breeds mental illness." The linked video makes the asinine claim that lack of religion breeds mental illness (which is obviously the opposite of what happens).

But disregarding this dishonesty, consider the implicit claim from the comment: that an authentic religion would not breed mental illness. And what would that authentic religion be, pray tell? Religion, by its nature, is dishonest, presenting fake morality as revealed wisdom, which is neither revealed nor wise. I'll give you a definition: There is no such thing as authentic religion. Let the poster demonstrate anything authentic about religion, which is pretty much the same evidence proffered for god.

Yikes, I think We may have just added a new word to the language: "trollish." Argh, no wait, it's already in the Wiktionary. It means Resembling or pertaining to a troll (Internet troublemaker) or trolling.

I want the original post to be in the RN group so people who might be interested (members of that group) can find it, but I put a notice in the open forum for broader exposure, and usually get a new member for the group each time I do it. In the early days, when we had admin involvement, advertising our groups in the open forum was encouraged.

@racocn8
I see you didn’t watch the video.

not trolling at all, thinking, developing understanding.

@skado Sorry to tell you this but GARBAGE like that can, if one is not careful, rot the brain.
But, @skado, imo, you need not concern yourself with that since also, imo, for you that train left the station a very long time ago given the amounts and types of UTTER drivel that you insist upon posting.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:665095
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.