Agnostic.com

11 15

A scientific study that verifies many of the things many atheists already think about how religious upbringing affects individuals.

[psypost.org]

Lorajay 9 May 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The scientific study discussed aligns with the perspectives held by many atheists regarding the impact of religious upbringing on individuals. It substantiates beliefs commonly held within this demographic, shedding light on the intricate dynamics. For further exploration of diverse viewpoints and narrative essay topics on this subject, one can refer to writinguniverse for a comprehensive range of engaging and thought-provoking themes to delve into the complexities of religious upbringing and its effects.

I find it a bit amusing tht the religious family experienced more conflict. I know being raised religious my family had more conflicts than my friend's families So, the study matches my personal experience.

Also, I was just an average student through high school. However in college my GPA shot up to 3.6, which could be accounted for in two ways. One, which is the most common reason given by experts, is that I was bored in grade school and high school, because the learning pace was too slow. However, in between high school and college, I also left my parents home and religious influence as well.

I remember feeling mentally restricted in what was or was not acceptable to think or discuss while growing up. Once those restrictions were no longer there, my learning capacities greatly increased, because I lon longer had nobody telling me how or what to think.

I do not want to make it seem like it was an instant change. As I didn't seriously start college until I was in my late 20's, mostly due to lack a lack of money. So, I had several years to adapt to no religious influences in how or what to think.

However, I do feel that religion definitely influenced my ability to reason and solve problems in my childhood and early life.

It doesn't matter what started it anymore, and the problem now is how do we kill it. What do we spray on it, you know, like a disease? Because it is fucking up our nation. Religion is cancer that needs to be cut out.

Careful how you saw off the limb you’re sitting on.

Agree, in my opinion religion poisons everything!

So the twin that was brought up ina strict religious household scored 16 IQ points lower than her sister who was brought up in a more free-thinking household. That is interesting. Not proof of anything, but still interesting. It could be that religious indoctrination negatively affects cognitive ability by training the person to not think critically. If one develops the mental habit of accepting dogmas without question, that may tamp down curiosity across the board. If you can always fall back on the easy answer that God did it, or that it was God's will, and God is by definition inscrutable, then why bother thinking deeply about why things are the way they are or happen the way they happen? More study is required!

I found the huge difference in IQ quite interesting. Especially since the twin raised in South Korea scored 16 points higher than her twin raised in the States.

It just shows what the rest of the world knows, that being brought up in the USA causes you to be dumber than the rest of the world. 🤣🤣🤣 Yanks be crazy 🤣🤣🤣🤣

More seriously, it is hard to draw too much from that because of issues with IQ testing, as all IQ tests are culturally sensitive and are normalised within a white american population. I don't know of any IQ tests which provide norms for both korean and USA populations.

@Cyklone It's also possible that the trauma of getting separated from her family affected the cognitive potential of the twin brought up in the USA.

@Cyklone Yes, and with a test likely skewed towards Americans. the South Korean still outscored her American twin/

@misstuffy yes, I think that if you are raised in an environment with poor education and where independent or original thought is discouraged it would be unlikely that you would reach your true cognitive potential

As far as I can see there are far too many differences between the upbringing of those two children to be able to claim a particular significance for religion.

If we really DO 'believe in science', then we need to be honest and sincere enough to actually do so, and admit that this study is inconclusive.

I don't think religious affiliation was the point of the study. It was just one aspect of the overall picture. It was more nature vs nurture sort of study, with religious affiliation only one aspect. The more religious family raised the twin with the lower IQ. Other studies have shown that non religious people tend to have higher IQ's overall than the religious. IMO the result of being taught to be closed minded by the pious over the curiosity and seeking of knowledge by the nons. Just my Opinion.

Despite her families attempt to find her she ended up being placed in a foster system and adopted by someone in the United States. HTF did that happen? Seems like that has happened to others who have crosses our Southern border with Mexico as well. So, what is this study about? A horror story.

I agree. There are horror stories of babies taken from young unwed birth mothers who were told the newborn was stillborn, just so they could sell the baby to rich parents. They never considered things like 23 and Me would ever exist when they did this.

All it shows is that environment effects outcome. As much as I hate theism, there are far too many confounding factors in this study to draw conclusions regarding religious vs secular upbringing.

Hmm, me thinks the control group is too limited to form any conclusion. More data?

Have to say I agree with Skado. I feel like this article was more of a study on how genes play an important role in similar personality profiles of twins. I feel that "verified" my be a strong word... while upbring in a religious/strict up enviroment may have some influence in personailty, it was not the target if this study in my opinion. I imagine growing up adopted had a profoubd effect refardless of the family that raised her.

Judging from the article and the abstract of the study (I’m not planning on paying for the PDF) I can’t tell that it verifies a single thing about atheists’ assumptions about religious upbringing. The article doesn’t say, or even hint at that conclusion. What’s a lot more likely is the difference between a supportive, functional family and a strict, conflicted family.

skado Level 9 May 9, 2022

As usual we all get out of anything what we are looking for.

@Lorajay
Some do for sure. Some just try to see what’s there. None are perfect.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:665339
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.