Agnostic.com

7 3

Why should this guy get a "last meal"?

[yahoo.com]

Gwendolyn2018 9 May 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Hope it's burned

bobwjr Level 10 May 13, 2022

I think a “peaceful” death is way too nice.A slow drowning like the 8 year old would be good. The 10 year old will never be able to forget. As long as he is alive, she will feel that in the back of her mind.

In my opinion, getting a "last meal" is not about what the criminal deserves, but rather that we as a society are decent enough to grant someone a "last meal" before we execute them.

Though what this man did is absolutely monstrous, he was also not mentally well. He suffered from an illness that even now is frequently overlooked and often goes untreated especially among the poor. Mentally ill people are compelled to do terrible things because that's how their minds work. To some degree I pity people like this who are born with broken minds. If he had gotten the help he needed at an early age maybe those two children would still be alive and he would be living as normal a life as he is capable of doing. So yes, give him one last meal before we as a society put an end to his existence.

I hope he gets it at least a day or two before his execution. Otherwise he's going to vomit all over everyone.

That said fetal alcohol syndrome does exist and does greatly mpede mental functioning. I think it would be much more appropriate for him to live the rest of his life in prison without hope of parole. I've heard that child rapists rarely survive in prison if put in the general population so perhaps that would be a death sentence as well.

I hope they're absolutely certain they have the right guy, and not arranging a legal lynching. If he is guilty, I hope he chokes. Get it the hell over with already.

I don't object to him getting his last meal, I do regret that it took them so long to give it to him.

The eighth amendment to the US constitution.

skado Level 9 May 12, 2022

@Gwendolyn2018

No cruel and unusual punishment.

@Gwendolyn2018
Withholding food is not proper punishment in the spirit of the law. But in reality, providing a last meal isn’t in consideration of the criminal. It’s to demonstrate to the citizens that justice is only about justice - not about revenge.

@skado What if I cook his last meal?

@PondartIncbendog
What if?

@skado That would be torture.

@Gwendolyn2018
Estimates of hungry children in the U.S. range from 10,000,000 to 17,000,000.

Executions seem to be declining now from 25 in 2018.

Twenty five hamburgers isn't going to put much of a dent in the hunger of fifteen million kids, unless Jesus shows up with some loaves and fishes magic.

But sure, if you can grab those 25 burgers and delay the death by one day of 25 out of the three million that are going to go ahead and starve completely to death each year... go for it.

What bothers me more about this story is that this mentally impaired man was allowed to roam free until he killed someone, and then our solution was to kill him back. A tragic story for all concerned. But the folks who won't allow women to govern their own reproductive systems 'because life is sacred ' are delighted to see this poor bastard fry because he was guilty (of being born to an alcoholic teenager who might have happily aborted the pregnancy had such services been more available and socially accepted).

@Gwendolyn2018
I’m not promoting pity or leniency. Just pointing out conservative hypocrisy regarding the value of life. I think the man should probably have been locked up before he killed, or preferably aborted before he became a burden to society. I favor prevention over retribution.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:665992
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.