Agnostic.com

20 11

Religion without belief

Most Japanese reject religious belief while embracing multiple forms of ritual practice. Are they religious or secular?

[aeon.co]

skado 9 May 31

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

20 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'd venture to say a combination of the two.

On a side note, another question I've often asked is, is this thing we call faith strictly a religious manifestation or can it be secular as well? I think it could be both, but again, try convincing a hardline atheist that he/she may in fact express a feeling of faith in someone or something at times, a faith that does not have anything directly to do with mysticism of the sorts. How does faith factor in with the evolution of religious beliefs and science?

Just a random thought there. Do you keep the "faith" in some way? This Independence Day holiday weekend as I sit by myself outside looking up into the night sky and ponder various topics, it dawned on me that I'm keeping the faith, in a sense anyways. That being, at the least I'm trying to keep faith that despite the fact that the country I live in is deeply divided with said divide growing larger by the day, somehow given enough time gone by things will eventually improve and the country will be united again, with our collective differences being seen as a potentially positive force in society. That said, my faith in that could very well be misplaced, only time will tell for sure on that much though.

I'll leave you with a piece from my friend Mister Joel, with a song he called Keeping The Faith. What faith exactly was he referring to, a mystical faith or a material-based one? I can say this much, it truly is wonderful to be alive, and be a witness to the evolutionary process that's all around us.

I think there are definitely secular faiths to be kept, and the line between the two are not always clear.

I can fully understand this.
Whether it is because of years of having them or maybe some ingrained bit of coding that says we need to have ways to mark important events in our lives.

Think of something as simple as a birthday. We sing a song, there is cake, candles are blown out there might be presents. This marks an event and is socially bonding.
Death we gather we grieve we socially bond over food and alcohol (there could be cake based items).
Two people decide to commit to each other there is no need for a party but we do, there is alcohol and cake. Now it is official.

I think that the rituals for some events are worth having.
There are non religious naming ceremonies (really writing it on a bit of paper gets the job done but a bit of a party some cake and maybe some alcohol and it finally seems official)

I think it is the social bonding since we no longer hunt in a pack, or gather in a pack or sit around picking the lice out of each others fur.
We need social bonding events and cake is always good too.

Ooh! This is right up my alley ..ty! I can't read it right now as I'm getting to bed for work tomorrow but I will defo get back to this thank you so much

I understand that even people who regard all belief in gods as bunkum (as I do) can still derive some comfort and solidarity from shared rituals. Some derive those benefits from patriotic or nationalist occasions but I regard assertive patriotism as being just as nuts as religion. I think it is morally preferable to take comfort in rituals that lack all the bullshit and pretension inherent in patriotism or religion. Sport. That's the ritual for me!.

It's not like most Japanese 'reject' religious beliefs; there are many practicing Christians, Buddhists, Shintoists, etc. in Japan. But most Japanese, although no longer religiously affiliated, acknowledge that many events and rituals have religious origins (Shinto and Buddhism) but still value such traditional and cultural activities so unique to their way of life as a nation that they must continue. It goes without saying that events like festivals and celebrations, even funerals always bring people together so that they can share excitement, joy, sorrow, etc. They play an important role in community building.

Ryo1 Level 8 June 1, 2022

There are at least two meanings for the word ' religious '. The meaning which is not to do with a religion is fastidious or very particular about correctness and order. This is actually part of the Human nature of a lot of people. I would say that this meaning covers the Japanese people as a race. At least it puts invisible agencies out of the spotlight.

stand corrected

@TheMiddleWay I am still confused(typically) .What then is 'Webster" definition of ethnic group?

@TheMiddleWay Interesting !

They are half way between. Japan is not noted for always being a particularly happy country, and a lot of the unhappiness is usually ascribed, by people who know it better than me, to an over great respect for certain traditional cultural norms. But on the other hand they have abandoned many cultural norms, including things like the Emperor's divinity, because those are seen as things which caused disasters in the past.

Secular people participate in rituals and do things "religiously" without necessarily adhering to anything supernatural.

I admit I didn’t read the whole article, but seems to me it’s another question of how the word “religious” is being used. Sometimes we do things ritually as part of our personality or culture usually because it’s meaningful or allows us to feel a connection to others, our culture or our environment.

I “religiously” wash my hands every time I come home from being in public spaces. I guess I could say I ritually do it, or habitually do it, but it’s something I do (as do others) intentionally to make me feel a connection to my own health and longevity of life. I do it because of a “belief” that the fewer germs I have on my hands, the less chance of introducing the germs into my body.

I “religiously” go out and watch the full moon rise over the ocean once a month, when the sky is clear, for no other reason except it gives me a feeling of perspective about my small little being in this huge world, in a huge solar system, and an even more vast cosmos.

Many other things I do “religiously” not just by habit, but with intention, things I do to save electricity, water, gas, waste, etc., so I can feel I’m doing my part for humanity.

I don’t ascribe anything supernatural to these practices but they make me feel more in tune with myself, my environment, humanity...

Many people “religiously” set out Christmas decorations every year on the same day, and set out cookies, milk and a carrot, or hide easter baskets or eggs every year, or some other such ritual, yet they do so without any belief either Jesus, Santa Claus, Rudolph, the Easter Bunny, etc. They do so for the connection it creates between the past and the present, the kids to the parents and grandparents, to others in their community.

People attend “The Nutcracker” or various parades every year, as part of their family traditions, to feel a part of the community. It does not mean that they believe in any mythological creatures or stories as true, it’s just become a part of their family tradition or cultural cohesiveness.

BUT not everyone in their community is always included... There is a point where when going along with a myth or religion that is still believed by some, and treated with just a nod by others could actually become a divisive action when looking at the big picture with others who have moved on from the belief or never had it.. creating a tribalism of “us” against” them, OR with an OPENNESS to celebrating other and all cultures in ones community, it can be a way of sharing and bringing people together.

This is when I’m glad for “multiculturalism” week celebrated in my grandchildren’s school. Everyone gets to share a bit of their cultural traditions, and thankfully my grandchildren attend a multicultural school. Let’s hope that doesn’t go away, where only one culture is allowed to be celebrated.

A good essay!

I love holidays and rituals. They help measure my sense of time passing. I go to my city's public market every Saturday like other people go to temple.

Markets are legitimate human discourse with life giving and extending properties.All of human life is there. Your happiness depends on your role and its success in the market place. I am convince that, with proper monitoring, the market could make a lot more people more happy.

I think it is possible to enjoy religious, or secular, rituals without believing or adopting the religion associated with them. Rituals by themselves can involve only some sort of mental discipline or meditation, without any religious or spiritual belief. I have known so many Unitarians who are Atheists that still love things like yoga, tai chi, or Buddhist meditation. All of those are about mental or physical discipline and ritual, without needing to get into any religion or belief..

It is a basic Human tendency to look for patterns in life and make sense. Rituals are pattern making

If they reject religion, how can they be religious?

@ 2 definitions, each one applied to different parts of the brain??

They believe societal continuity and cultural norms which have multiple forms of ritual practices which can be described as possibly secular, religious, or culturally use as ancestral and a present form of cultural customs which bind them as inhabitants of the Islands of Imperial Japan!!!

I'm an ignostic episcopalian. It's certainly possible for religious institutions to function as healthy parts of society without the magic beans element. The right wing evangelicals have given Christianity a bad name in the US and elsewhere.

yes.

The comfort of rituals (both watching & participating) without all the threatening, lying, & claptrap!!!!!
Amazing & wonderful.
Thank you for posting this as I have long despaired of wholesale weaning people off religion because humans IMO need & Love rituals.......but hey! Hope!

They are honouring the traditions of their culture without affirming them.

Ask them.

Why do you need to label people?

I’m just sharing a link to an article. I’m not the author.

@literateHiker as a way of remembering our experiences with them . However there is No LAW against changing a label, unless you permit burying your head in the sand.

Hey Numbnuts @skado did NO-ONE ever explain to you the ACTUAL DIFFERENCES between RITUALS and Religious beliefs?
Or did they try but used words of MORE that 2 syllables which confused you and still do to this very day UNLESS you have a 10 year old standing by to explain them to you that is?

Didn’t your mommy ever teach you manners?

@NostraDumbass Did yours ever teach you to pull your head in a behave like a turtle?

@Triphid. WTF kind of reply (all of them, but especially the uncalled for nasty attack on @skado) is this to a very valuable & enlightening post?
Is your dementia Much worse? Increase your meds!

@NostraDumbass rhetorical question you put there, methinks.....

@AnneWimsey Oh how nice your response is, did you take extra "be nice pills this morning or something?
I guess not because imo, one look at you and they would run a mile to escape such a horrific fate.

@Triphid if I had "be nice pills" I would toss them in the trash or, wait! Mail them to you!

@AnneWimsey No need since as a male I do NOT suffer from the Menopause nor it is after effects later in life as some women do most unfortunately.

Fancy picking a fight again, mate? Lol!

@AnneWimsey Next to the definition of ad hominem is his photo. Just sayin'.

@creative51 My intent is merely to TRY to wake him from his , imo, delusional reveries and bring his lines of thought, etc, in to the REAL world.

@silverotter11 Oh wow did your baby daughter teach you to say and write that then?
There IS a solution FYI, and that is IF you do not like nor understand my Aussie ways, etc, then USE the Block facility and remember that it will be NO skin off my nose IF and WHEN you block me.

@Triphid I certanly can not fall back on being an ignorant America, I simply try to follow a sense of what makes an easy informative discussion. I disagree with many but I work at trying to explain my position, or frame an arguement. Name calling or denigrating is simple counterproductive for me.

@silverotter11 "Numb-nuts " is NOT name calling in Australia FYI, it is merely a statement of OPINION in regards to the comment or the writer of the comment.
And FOR YOUR Enlightenment THERE IS a whole world OUTSIDE of the U.S.A. where people have different customs, meanings, usages, etc, etc, of phrases and the like.
Ergo, the UNIVERSE does NOT begin and finish at the borders of the United States of Absurdity so TRY NOT be shocked, etc, take your Cardiac meds and relax.
And whilst we are at it, does not disseminating bullshit and, imo, trashy garbage count also as being "counterproductive" and does, perhaps Herr Von @skado LACK the manly attributes enough to defend himself and thus requires others to do it on his behalf?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:669257
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.