Agnostic.com

8 22

LINK Poland's Boy Scouts will no longer have to say 'God' in their oath

Catholic leaders of the scouting group say the move reeks of anti-Christian ‘discrimination.’

Poland’s version of the Boy Scouts, the Polish Scouting and Guiding Association (ZHP), just made a harmless decision that has still, somehow, infuriated its most religious supporters. In the past, all scouts had to take an oath to “serve God and Poland.” Now there will also be an alternative version for scouts who don’t believe in (or are questioning) God that omits that part of the oath.

It’s hardly a significant change, and yet some ZHP leaders are acting like the sky is falling.

snytiger6 9 June 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Some people are afraid of fair treatment and enlightenment.

And so I looked up the Polish for god.

According to google translate, they never did say 'god', they said 'bog'... 😂

Let's save bog and country. Are there more bogs in Poland?

Does make sense.

One of the definitions of bog is: (be bogged down) (of a person or process) to be unable to make progress.

When I was interviewed by the Boy Scout executive to be a Scout Leader, they asked me if I believed in God and I told them that I was a scientist so I entertained the possibility. Since they desperately needed someone to run Orillia Scout Troop #1 in the worst part of town, they accepted my application. When I arrived for the first Scout meeting it was just 5 Scouts and two well intentioned old ladies in their 80's who were filling in as leaders, so first order of business after the Scout Pledge and Oath was to get outside and play some British Bulldog. The elderly ladies were uncertain about this as they had only done badgework in the church basement but it went well and the local kids came around to see what all the excitement was about, pretty soon we were up to 20 + Scouts and the largest troop in the area.
Woodcraft, camping, hiking and a sense of unit integrity, plus a bit of leadership from myself and the troop leaders was all it took, God played no part in the daily operations.
My proudest moment, among many proud moments, was when I read in the paper that Malcolm who was a real problem Scout from a very bad domestic situation had volunteered all summer doing community service and had earned a brand new bicycle as a reward. When I met Malcolm he always had a different bicycle because they were always stolen but he turned things around with a little help from his fellow Scouts, once again there was no God present.

What a wonderful and fulfilling experience that must have been for you! 😉

@Redheadedgammy One of my troop leaders (Mitch) connected with me on FB a few years ago, he moved out West and has a nice family, drives logging rigs. It feels good that I was able to be a good leadership figure to these young men and that it had a positive impact on their lives.
I wound up leaving the Scouting movement after I received an award from the Chief Scout of Canada who is also the Governor General of Canada for apprehending a mugger. I received a lot of animosity from the other Scout leaders and they made it very difficult for myself and my troop 'from the wrong side of the tracks'. The troop was back to doing badgework out of the church basement within a year of my leaving, just the way the old boys in the executive liked it.
I was looking at a couple of construction projects in the West Indies and the timing seemed right for me to step down when they decided to make an example of me for taking two of my Troop Leaders on an overnight canoe trip with the permission of their parents but not sanctioned by the executive. I Lived abroad for over a decade and never got involved with the Scouting movement again.

@SnowyOwl How sad for the boys to lose you! You made an impression on the young men and taught them well that’s all that matters. The other Scout leaders who went back to the status quo sound like boring and controlling people. 😕

In Poland, of all places!!!! Good. Poland has been so catholic that during the Cold War, Poland was the only Warsaw Pact country to have priests in their ranks as officers.

The religious fools always lose their shit when someone decides not to entertain their idiocy any longer. Well done Polish Boy Scouts!! 😍

The religious establishment doesn't like the new rule? Tough shit! The Polish Scouts may attract many more recruits now.

Way back in the 80's in Australia I never said that part. I took investitures as a leader and some kids did not say it.

I had discussions with leaders about why I was not going to say it and they (basically non church going xtians accepted it) Did not see any bolts of lighting coming out of the sky and no dead sky fairies landed anywhere near me. No major cataclysmic events occurred, apart from the fact that every cyclone that headed towards our town veered away and hit somewhere else.

Wouldn't it also be anti-Muslim, etc. Believers are so childish and petty.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:670201
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.