Agnostic.com

8 12

LINK Louisiana woman raped at 16 ordered to pay alleged attacker child support

I lived in that state for less then 2 years, and I was so happy to see it in my rearview mirror. I don't think I've ever been back since then, and no plans to go back EVER.

A Louisiana woman named Crysta Abelseth has been ordered to pay child support to a man twice her age who she was reportedly raped by at the age of 16. Her alleged abuser has also been awarded full custody.

In 2005, the now 32-year-old woman met John Barnes after a night out at a local restaurant with friends in the City of Hammond. He offered to give her a ride home.

“Instead of bringing me home, he brought me to his house. Once inside, he raped me on his living room couch,” she said to Ponchatoula news station WBRZ 2, an ABC affiliate.

“Everyone assumed it (the pregnancy) was from a boyfriend, and I let them believe that,” the woman added.

After delivering a healthy baby girl, sources say Barnes learned about the delivery sometime around 2011.

“When my daughter was 5 years old, he found out about her, and once he found out about her, he pursued custody and wanted to take her away from me,” she said. “They granted him 50/50 custody despite the fact that [the child] was caused by rape.”

A court-ordered DNA test confirmed with 99.97 percent accuracy that the child is Barnes’.

Because the child’s father was 30 at the time of conception and Abelseth was only 16, the sexual act was illegal.

In July 2015, Abelseth pressed charges with the Tangipahoa Parish Sheriff’s Office for simple rape. When asked why she did not file sooner, she stated that she did not know the law at the time.

“I thought if I didn’t do it the next day, there was nothing I could do about it,” she said. “I went to a trauma counselor, and he said, ‘No, you have 30 years after you turn 18.'”

The woman claims that once the report was filed in 2015, nothing was ever done. The case remains open. This year, he was awarded full custody.

According to WBRZ’s Investigative Unit, Barnes allegedly owns a local web company called Gumbeaux Digital Branding. The website shows Ponchatoula Police as a client.

HippieChick58 9 June 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Nothing surprises me anymore especially if it's from the south.

The daughter will need therapy for the rest of her life.

MizJ Level 8 June 17, 2022

Just awesome.. isn’t it?😞😢😭

Davekp Level 8 June 17, 2022

The Southern Republican dream! Rape the young girls, like they did the slave girls back in what Louisiana calls the good old days. If they get pregnant the child belongs to the master/plantation, and since it is masters seed, he owns the child and grants it special privilege. The mother has no say in the matter.

Excellent analogy and well explained, thank you.

I agree. I moved back here a couple years ago and am sorry. The level of ignorance and abject stupidity in the deep south is appalling.

Anyone who is smart will leave these places and go to a state or country that appreciates them. Stupidity reigns supreme.

I think I'm going to have to stop reading the news again for awhile. I don't think I can bear knowing these things. I already know I would not vote red under any circumstances.

🤬🤮👿new all time low for abuse of the justice system in this country.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:672148
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.