Agnostic.com

18 31

I got into an argument in a convenience store with a Christian trying to persuade me to hear his good news pitch. He didn't take no for an answer so I told him I'm an ex-Christian and want nothing more to do with it, so he tells me I hate god. I ended the conversation with, that's fair, he hated me first.

This falls under random.
I'm worried about a potential zombie breakout in the area.
There is a mega church after all.

Willow_Wisp 8 July 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

18 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I actually enjoy discussing it with Christians. I don’t really argue with them though. I just like letting them know all the reasons I left the religion. If it gains nothing else, it will give them something to think about.

"Your God's arms are too short to box with me."

~ LanceThruster

Just ask them if they are familiar with the story of Jephthah in the Bible. Explain how in Hebrews 11:32 he was referred to as hall of fame faith.

What did he do? He made a vow to god to sacrifice first thing he saw when he got home if god gave him victory in war. God gave him victory and first thing he saw wa his daughter. Why didn’t god provide a goat or lamb and unlike Abraham god didn’t stop Jephthah he actually did sacrifice his daughter Judges chapters 11 and 12. Ask them why god didn’t save her and is the god a god of human sacrifice

I'd rather just say "no" and be left the F alone.

@Willow_Wisp Cuz for crisp's sake they might have a long response to that one and you would never have gotten away. 🙂

I avoid interacting with religious fools .Ignoring them is a far better solution.Closed minds do not warrant your attention.

granny Level 6 July 16, 2022

I avoid them when I can, but when I can't I leave them gasping for answers with "Where is your falsifiable evidence to support your existence claim of your particular god?".

I will never understand why nonbelievers have discussions with believers about these matters .Nothing can be gained by it

I didn't start the conversation. I would have preferred to have not exchanged a word, as I ALWAYS fucking do.

I agree ,even if they start the fucking conversation I NEVER continue it or just go along with their bullshit .It’s not worth the stress

@Garban Not a valid comparison. I usually do not observe people having heated discussions about the weather or disagreeing with the forecast ha ha ha.

If i had the time, i usually listen to them, hear out their angle, but tend to stump them with replies that usually result in them "hey, just read the literature, the answers are in there!" but then I say, "but if you don't know the answer, and you're a spokes person, how can i trust the book?"

I always enjoy trying to be saved when a Xian learns I'm atheist. It happened most recently about a week and a half ago at the dentist's office. She failed to change my mind.

Oh my.

I used to try to repel those pricks with some kind of civil talk. But no more. To me, they are just like people who walk around with their pants around their knees, playing with themselves and talking to the air.

There are people who walk around like that talking to the air?

@MsKathleen I must admit, I've only seen them in mental hospitals.

@BitFlipper thank goodness!

@BitFlipper they are also in public parks and subways.

I am really bothered by religious zealots who don't take "no" or "not interested" for an answer. It makes me angry, and I get the desire to be mean and rude. I never am though. I usually just walk away.

That is the best policy. Especially since so many of them now appear to be armed.

I figure at if I countered them they'd accuse me of "religious discrimination".

I have no qualms with just stating I'm atheist and I have no interest. If they keep talking I repeat, if I need to repeat a third time I will add the definition of harassment and call the cops. Hopefully it would not get past the first time as the line will have moved along but if you are stuck behind someone who is old and writing a check or counting out pennies you should be patient but be ready to call the cops.
I had a guy approach me at the clinic one day, we were in the waiting room. We had masks on and were more than 6 feet apart but he said I think I recognize you from church. I told him I'm atheist hardly likely. His eyes briefly darted around and he got up and moved, ya know just in case that lightening bolt made an appearance - best laugh of the morning.

I would have said that it is impossible to hate something that does not exist.

Time to breakout your Atheist kit..

Lunch 🤣🤣😈🤣🤣!!!

Loved your comeback, “he hated me first”. 😘 That should make the idiot stew a little about his sky daddy!!

Kinda hard to hate something imaginary

Great reply. Maybe not exactly correct, but something your tormentor would understand.

Here's a discussion of the topic.

[quora.com]

I'd say to either leave or repeat back that: Jesus is a myth and Christianity is a scam.

Yea, those types are just sad - - - Brings to mind a similar theist who, while I was trying to get dressed after a shower at the YMCA (my old gym) cornered me and gleefully proclaimed, "Did you know that Jesus is the one truth and there can be only one truth and that is Jesus! . . . . " Long story short, the next day when he saw me, instead of telling me about his one truth (that I demonstrated was not the case) he whimpered and cowered away like a dog that had been beaten. I never used the (there is an ASSHOLE god I don't like) argument, but I have pointed out the character he believe is a god is garbage - how my personal morality is vastly superior to the garbage he worships. There have been a few theists who attempt to push their bs on me that came to regret that choice.

How can anyone hate somebody who doesn't exist?

Hell, can't even be defined in any meaningful sense of the word.

The opposite of love is not hate it is indifference. I find indifference is far easier to hold onto than hate.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:676956
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.