Agnostic.com

30 1

What book(s) helped you figure yourself (or "life") the most?

It's not life experiences, or conversations. This is just about books which you consider the most mind opening, significant, or influential, in how you think; and who you are today. Which one helped you be a better you?

Elsantoasauro 5 Apr 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

30 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Doug Adams The Hitchhiker's Guide series

Amazing !!!!!

The Discworld series was the best, so many accurate observations. Also The Little Prince was a sweet book, and the Kahil Gibran one; the prophet, it talks about God but is so poetic, I liked it.

Yep, Pratchett can certainly make you look at things from a different angle.

It started with Jonathan Livingston Seagull and spiraled out from there. At times in my life I believed in magical moments but not now. I know too much a scientific information but that book was the beginning for me. It caused a lot of cognitive dissonance and questions about how I was taught to believe and shape my world.

Shar Level 3 Apr 27, 2018

I read it in Spanish when I was 12. I cannot quote any of it, but I think about how it made me feel often. Great little book!

That is one amazing piece of writing.

STEPPENWOLF by Hermann Hesse, and a through book on Jean Piaget's work in cognitive psychology.

To kill a mocking bird, Alice in Wonderland, Seven Pillars of wisdom .

Foucault's pendulum by Umberto Eco

Really? I found it so dry, just couldn't get into it.

@girlwithsmiles shame that! It is definitely one of my favorite books.

Long plot, read it many years ago. I found interesting how all got obsessed and things didn't end well for any of them. It has been a while, I was young. Perhaps I should revisit this one again before Alzheimer takes over...

@mp43796 might give it another go, it's been a few years.

Absolutely my favourite book of all time ... Name of the Rose is also incredible!!! 🙂

Eco is one of my favourites. Intelligent without overbearing, and really engaging.

The Tao of Pooh .. Taoism explained simply for kids using Winnie the Pooh characters. Pooh is quite Zen really.

Science books, encyclopedias, documentaries... I somehow managed to stumble upon Darwin's On the Origin of Species fairly young. Mutual Aid is a good one as it touches on a lot of views I had that nobody around seemed to share. Some children's fiction in which characters were openly skeptical...it's healthy for a child to see various perspectives.

A Brief History of Time

Would you believe....comic books?

Comic Books (mostly of the Super hero genera) were what triggered my interest in morality, and when I looked at morality in the bible, it was pathetically lacking.

Yes, I used to like reading my Dad's pulp fiction too, can't remember much of it now. The graduated to 2000AD which was like getting a fix; over too soon and then waiting for the next copy!

Would you believe....comic books?

Comic Books (mostly of the Super hero genera) were what triggered my interest in morality, and when I looked at morality in the bible, it was pathetically lacking.

That's outstanding! Didn't think of it like that before.

the Vedas and the Upanishads.

Edgar Cayce and Eckhart Tolle and Autobiography of a Yogi by Paramhansa Yogananda

Early influence: The Little House books by Laura Ingalls Wilder. Her wonderful books illustrate how a pioneer family lived their daily lives and survived sickness, crop failures, blizzards, drought, fire, Indian confrontations and other challenges on the frontier while journeying westward and eventually settling.

The Grapes of Wrath, Great Expectations, Tale of Two Cities.

Strangely the first book I learned to read was 'Alice -in-Wonderland ' I think it helped me be acceptant of 'strange' because I always was strange myself - (totally off the wall mentally unwell parents.) At an early age I didnt understand that and only responded to it by reading more because if you have your eyes down and nose in a book people rarely even see you so you become an invisible child . Alice in Wonderland demands a degree of acceptance of everything strange that could happen. When I was older 'I read the seven pillars of wisdom' which affected me a lot and was still in the strange arena-

"Man's Search for Meaning"
"Surely You're Joking,Mr Feynman!"
"A Guide to Rational Living"

Jeder ein Genie by Fritz Zwicky and Der Jahrtausendmensch by Robert Jungk.
Jungk led me to read Zwicky and also indirectly caused me to meet Peter Harper who I later did a travelling road show with. Both Zwicky and Harper were interviewed for Jungks' book which I lent to an elderly friend who it turned out was Harpers father. Harper among other things is the guy who coined the phrase "Alternative Technology" . So much of what we were doing all those years ago is becoming contemporary. Ha, kids and I were later featured in one of Harpers books. Small world.

Fascinating story!

Nice, I have heard of these guys but not looked into them!! Excellent!

Sir Stephan Hawkin A Brief History of Time

Zen Guitar - Philip toshio sudo
The tyranny of malice - Joseph berke
The stranger - Albert Camus
. Generally, when I was learning to read I was given a set of encyclopedia and a dictionary. That, more than anything influenced my urge to see different aspects of things.

Wow! That was basically me too! I think I almost had my encyclopedia memorized!

A short history of of Myth by Karen Armstrong started the fire and Ernest Becker's Denial of death threw TNT and gasoline into it !

100 Years of Solitude in my teens pushed me towards existentialism. And later on, Sagan and the like, in terms of placing science into a wider context of humanity (I have a degree in Physics, so it wasn't about learning the science side. More about the bigger picture).

DeProfundis Oscar Wilde ❤️

I read tuesday with morrie when I was really young. It really did not change my life itself but open my eye to discovering what is out there. It deals with mortality and how to deal with it. I also read siddhartha and it started pointing me in the direction of buddhism

Funny you would ask. I just wrote out a good part of that list: [theratseyeblog.blogspot.com].

TWDay Level 4 Apr 28, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:68023
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.