Agnostic.com

5 13

LINK George Carlin - Saving the Planet - YouTube

When I first watched this some time back I felt the usual responses like it was defeatism and apocalyptic, but watching it a few times I can't help that George was just telling it plain, decades ago. When you get to the part about the viruses it's chillingly prophetic. Ultimately he's right: the earth with be just fine (unless a comet wipes it out for good), but we're done for, most likely. George Carlin, Master Jester, in the ancient sense of the term.

David1955 8 Aug 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

My all time favorite comedian. George was never afraid to speak his mind about religion and politics. He was a comedic genius.

Yeah. Seems pretty prophetic. However, I think it is just an application of common sense of looking what has happened to previous species and applying what little knowledge we have to make a prediction of what is to come.

George wasn't a classically well educated man, as he often said, but he read voraciously and widely, and was well educated in life, combine that with incredible honestly, a passion for calling out bullshit, as he called it, and a man with an insight of prophecy, in a non religious sense, and you have as a result an extraordinary man. Much missed.

Have a cat for humanity.

George's material certainly stands the test of time. I would just offer this one update: as he said, back in the day, the extinction rate was about 25 species a day. Now its over 250 a day. 😐

Jeez.. really? That's shocking.

@David1955 Actually 250/day may be a little high. Current estimates are running around 150 -200 per day. Still, it way higher than the natural rate without human impacts .🙁

@Flyingsaucesir yes, hence George's point about human arrogance.

Wisdom in comedy. 🙂

Betty Level 8 Aug 20, 2022

In his later years, he became more than a comedian, more like a social commentator and a prophet.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:682406
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.