Agnostic.com

14 31

Computer tempest in a teapot. You will laugh at this.

I am not tech-savvy nor do I want to be.

The internal antenna in my laptop died. So I bought a cheap external antenna that failed after two years.

Sprung for an $86 Netgear external antenna. Last evening, that antenna died. Was resigned to replacing it. Awoke with an epiphany: perhaps the antenna needs updating.

I chose the Control Panel followed by Programs. Clicked on Netgear. "Refresh" it prompted. Is "refresh" their cutesy jargon for update? Apparently.

... Followed by a conundrum. "Enter computer security key or password." Which one?

Yes, I have a computer security key in my list of passwords. But that didn't work. "Maybe they want the password I give visitors to use my internet," I mused. "That makes sense." It worked.

The final hurdle. Select the internet for LiterateHiker 5G (Wishful thinking- the PUD didn't extend 5G cable this far from downtown) or LiterateHiker. Bingo. That's me.

Finally, the magic combination! The antenna works again. I feel an odd combination of triumphant and drained.

LiterateHiker 9 Oct 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

computers definitely can be frustrating. I did computer support in some form most of my adult life. Sometimes the solutions are a part of analysis and logic. Sometimes the results are a result of magic and incantations (have you rebooted it?). Good for you for persevering until you found the solution.

I had an old laptop and it was overheating...the fan was dead. I took it to a near computer repair shop, told them the fan was dead and it needed a new one. He quoted me almost 300 bucks. No, it's not. He gave me a stunned look and said, "no?" I asked how much the part itself was. His reply was 80 bucks. Again, NO, it's not. He wasn't willing to do anything fair. I went back a week later, showed him that it worked fine again and told him it was 20 bucks total including priority shipping and that it took me all of 5 minutes. The cost was almost entirely shipping. He appeared confused...I turned and walked out.

But I grew up in a family that fixed everything rather than replace with new. I guess I learned the habit. It's easy to look up instruction online if you don't already know.

Good job, girl!!!

Good job back at ya lady! 😉

good job to you!

For most computer issues you can search on Youtube describing the problem you are having and find a solution. It may have to watch more than one video to find the right one, but it is usually there.

Actually, for most problems you have with products there is somebody on Youtube who will tell you how to fix it. I even looked for how to properly trim back the blueberry bushes and another for trimming back grape vines.

With home or appliance repairs, if you don't have the right tools, don't attempt it, even if you found a video telling you what to do. Take the trouble to get the right tools, as the tools will cost less than calling the repair person after trying to make a repair with the wrong tool.

@snytiger6

The funniest instructional video I saw on Youtube was "How to change a bicycle tire tube."

The star was a laconic, drawling male idiot in Georgia. His first mistake was placing the bicycle in tall grass. Couldn't see what he was doing. He fumbled around and eventually gave up.

I’m so thrilled for you! I keep trying to figure things out, but mostly fail.

@Redheadedgammy

Thank you, dear.

My downfall is I don't remember my last 20 rapid keystrokes. I try different things and get timed out.

The worst is when you get three tries, then your account is frozen.

Congratulations 👏👏👏

@Flyingsaucesir

Thank you.

Good feeling, isn't it. 🙂

Betty Level 8 Oct 25, 2022

Well done you. 🙂

I’ve just set up wireless 5G. Chose it over fibre as the twelve month rental contract was a good deal.

The modem the mobile company gave me is huge, I don’t understand why.

Am used to technology growing smaller, not bigger.

At least it’s easy to use, I just had to turn it on to activate the internet plus WiFi, then log in.

It is huge so you think your getting something great. If you opened the box, which I would not do, I bet you would find a lot of space, or a lot of heat sin

@dalefvictor Often that’s the case re box being much bigger than the item.

However, this time the box fitted the item very well. It’s just a huge modern.

Don't you just hate it when that happens? 😂...I miss the old days when Paper was King.

@phoenixone1

I take my laptop to Office Depot tech desk. The first 10 minutes is FREE.

Those tech whizzes get a lot done in 10 minutes.

A high school girl brilliantly turned off the antenna inside my laptop. She figured out it was weakly flickering on-and-off and fighting with the external antenna.

@LiterateHiker I have a Surface that is 11 years old...Geek Squad won't even look at it. Fortunately it is working just fine...for now 😳

@phoenixone1

What's a Surface?

@LiterateHiker something you walk, sit, run or swim on, beneath, or above. Honestly I don't know who made them...IBM maybe?...the screen disconnects from the keyboard and it becomes a large tablet.

@phoenixone1

I found refurbished Microsoft Surface laptops on E-Bay.

@LiterateHiker mine was a gift. It wU irked 4 me. 😁

You did very well. I have a Netgear WiFi router and have to go through this from time to time. It is the Netgear security key they want.

@DenoPenno

Thank you. Thanks for the warning not to get a Netgear WIFI router.

I bought my router from the internet provider. They service and replace it for free. Yippee!

👍 good job you’re more techie than you give yourself credit for………

@Dhiltong

Thank you.

Can SOOOOOOOOO identify!😅

You made me nervous for a couple of paragraphs, but I'm glad to see you got it figured out.

It is such a good feeling when you can work it out by yourself!! My kids call me a dinosaur, and I wear that with pride. And they generally fix my stuff. Two of the Sons in Law and one daughter are programmers, one daughter is a data base manager. They grew up with computers, we didn't.

DB manager! 😆 they know nothing at all, 2 of them killing me everyday, Count on the programmers! 😉

@Garban Well,😆 tu casa es mi casa, pero tu problema sigue siendo tu problema 😉

@Diaco

Very funny! Let's see...

My home is your home. Your problem is your problem.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:692544
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.