Agnostic.com

33 5

Just wondering

If you were dying would you chicken out and decide to believe religion again?
Would you allow your family to go through a religious funeral?

Aherlowman 3 Apr 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

33 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It doesn't seem to me to be a matter of choice. Wanting to believe (which I don't) wouldn't actually make me believe. In any case, it's hard to think of many things more tedious than the Christian idea of heaven, even without harps. As for my funeral, if I should predecease my wife, she thinks I should have an Anglican funeral, even though she herself is no longer a church-goer. It seems silly to me, but if it's what she wants, it's not going to bother me, is it?

I almost died in 94 and l didn't, and my family, one brother and sister, are not religious. But l'm feeling much better now. ?

This stinks of Pascal's Wager. As for what my folks do after I'm dead, couldn't give a flying ... Though it'd be fun if a catapult was involved.

Oh, absolutely a catapult!

I tell people a newspaper story I read years ago -- no idea if any of it is true. A man carefully kept a secret box in his house and wouldn't tell anyone what it contained.
When he died his will specified that all his family gather and burn the box unopened so they wouldn't know what was there.
It turned out to be full of fireworks.

Funerals are for the living. Surviving family can do what they want. And my family have been told that.

Nah from birth to death a heathen shall I always be

Who knows. I have told my oldest to have me cremated and put me in a canning jar. Then she should put me in a backpack and take me to cool places all over. Leave a little of me at each place.

No and who gives a flying f--- I would be dead

What’s this again nonsense?

I don't believe I will turn to religion on my deathbed.

I hope my family will respect my wishes of no religious funeral. They can mourn any way they want, but don't use my body for any religious mumbo jumbo ritual.

Ha ha ha... good one... I can tell you what I have felt many times when my sugar levels get way too low and I know I am going to pass out. I have to think quick and find a couch or a bed to make sure I am not going to hit my head if I go down. Here is the thing and that's my point to your question.. there is a split second where I am still conscious (not sure about spelling.. well you get the gist), I am still conscious and my body is already in the twilight zone. For that split second I am terrified because there is nothing I can do and the sense of hopelessness is so profound that feels like yeah, you chicken out under such conditions and it's completely out of your control. Its not rational, it's just survival instinct. Does that really mean one chicken out by choice?...that's the point I want you to think about. As far as the religious ceremony for funeral or whatever, well once I have kicked it then I don't really care, they can do whatever the hell they want. My only preference is that I want to be cremated and I am going to have to rely on whoever is going to call the shots after I am gone, hoping they will grant my wish.....

I am going to have a Medical Directive to have my Body donated to Science for Discovery and Medical Advancement. What is left over will be cremated and sent to various parts of the earth that I have traveled where I want them scattered so I can continue my Journey in the Spirit.

I'd have to believe in religion a first time to believe in religion again. My family can do as they please. I won't be around to care.

vita Level 7 Apr 29, 2018

Exactly!

Very good. I agree -- funerals are for the living.

I wouldn't believe again because I have already decided what is real for me and what isn't. I doubt that either of my children would plan a religious funeral for me because neither of them are religious.

LOL no

No and no.

While I do not fear dying, I have a healthy respect for the process of dying, but I don't see how religion would be any help for that. Indeed, in my experience with religion, it would just make the process worse rather than better.

Also, no one "decides to believe" anything. [Un]belief is your understanding of where the preponderance of currently available evidence points. It just is. It is not decided.

At any rate, a god worth the label would know if you were faking belief "just in case" so there'd be no point in doing that.

I'm not afraid of death, so I have no problem with dying. as for "allowing" my family to give me a religious funeral...... I'm dead so I won't know what they're doing. I do know that my children know my wishes and will rather cut my sister out of everything than give in to her religious demands (plus my children don't like her).

A negative on that, I shall never return to the ways of religion.

No and no

No what would be the point ? Dying is probably interesting enough.

I have expressed my wishes to my family. The funeral is not for me it is for who is still living.

Nah I'm pretty convinced it's all crap at this point. If I'm dead I'm not sure if I could stop my family from giving me a religious funeral but everyone knows that my last request is to be cremated and my ashes spread someplace warm.

That’s just silly, of course not. And my family is free to do whatever they find comforting when I’m gone.

darl Level 3 Apr 29, 2018

No, and definitely not.
Granted, what they do after I die is not anything I can control. but I have made my wishes clear.

No, I confident in my beliefs..Thing is my family are strong god lovers, if it makes them feel better to pray, let them..I'll be dead and not give a shit anyway...

Never believed in religion so I couldn't go back. I also wouldn't start. Death comes for all of us. It's a part of life. While I'm not excited to die I know it will come and I'm OK with that. I don't care what's done with my corpse.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:69563
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.