Agnostic.com

65 8

What is the best way to get rid of someone preaching to you?

On the subway the other day I started yelling loudly that if they kept losing Jesus, they should put his picture on a milk carton and leave me the hell alone.

hereigoagain 4 Oct 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

65 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

If they are Christian, I always go for putting my head down and reciting some Latin ~ usually gets them to walk away at a pretty quick speed. Thank you, ten years of Catholic school.

Haha! Kyrie Eleison!

Dominoes Vobiscum

eh rapus rapus rapus... rapus rapus rapus amen... @btroje

I tell them that I worship satan and I ask if I can eat their children. always fun.

Although "technically," atheists are child eaters too... so I could just go with that. But mostly I just tell them that I like to watch Fox "news" and then go out and club baby seals.

I think humor is the best way.

When they ask me if I've found Jesus Christ as my personal savior, I tell them that I'm already seeing a savior. He may not have the abs, but those extra hands give a great massage.

You could reply with "Oh my, you've lost him again?"

Or maybe, "Yah, he's passed out under the coffee table."

I deal with random preaching with the question: do you believe in the power of Satan? They will of course say yes; I then ask them in a very dead pan voice,if they are a virgin? Most become uncomfortable at that point and leave. If they answer yes, I suggest I could use them as a good sacrifice, I don't no what to ask if they say no as that hasn't happened yet. Any suggestions?

Well, if they are virgins they can touch unicorns.

Did you hear the following joke?

One day two people rang my doorbell and when I answered they gave me a blank pamphlet. I said "This doesn't have anything on it" One of them responded "I know, we're atheists"

BD66 Level 8 Oct 8, 2017

was it an unsigned first edition?

I kind of want to try that....

In a case like this I'm likely to use my sexual orientation to frighten them. I'll work a reference to my husband into the conversation. Since I am male there is a 67% probability their head will asplode.

good job

I have a sign at my gate that says "I am an atheist. I do not want to be saved. Move on, Thank you!" Used to have another sign that said "Religious representatives and related propaganda are not welcome." Both work but I like my new sign better.

we're lucky , there's hardly any thumpers. around. a few girls all wrapped up and the occasional turban and they don't say much unless you engage them which can have rewards !

Say, "Wow. You are SO MUCH like the Pharisees and Sadducees that Jesus criticized so harshly."

The sad thing about those kinds of people is they are so closed minded that they can't stand to listen to someone else's religious points of view.

So agree.

Say come on in for whiskey and cigarettes. Not mine a comedian said it first. I listen politely and maybe I will learn something. I remember the first time I had to break it to someone, that didnt like Jewish people, that Jesus was Jewish.

Only on his mother's side.

Just walk away and if you can't do that just ignore them. I personally love that type of conflict. I just keep my cool and ask the same questions I've asked every jerky Christian, Why do you believe and how do you know you're right. It always leads to faith and once you get there it's a simple matter of showing why faith is a terrible way to know anything. You won't convince him but you might have someone else listening that might be convinced. The big thing is no matter how angry and nasty they get you need to stay cool and non-threatening.

laugh at them

Carry around flyers with bullet points explaining why God isn't real\the bible is a horrible fairy tale they contradicts itself, list those contradictions. I had a religious roommate in college and she challenged me to read the bible. I read the whole disgusting thing. And made a power point with over 1000 reasons why the bible sucks/there is no God. It was great but on a floppy disc somewhere. Wish I knew where

being rude and mocking works

Either walk away, or put on headphones and listen to something worthy of hearing. If you’re the type that has to engage, I would not suggest insulting them; instead use reasoning and logic with the type of questioning and mannerism that paul1967 suggests.

Don't give them the time of day. Turn your cheek and IGNORE them. Is this rude? It's rude of them to shove their feelings down your throat!

Depends on who it is. I am not a confrontational person so most of the times I roll my eyes when it starts and then tune it out. On FB I block a neck of a lot of pages.

DeiP Level 5 Oct 4, 2017

Roll on the floor laughing so hard you eyes start to water. No seriously, it depends on how they are towards you about faith and religion. I may have stated this in another post but I have a few friends that religious and they range from born again to moderate. I really don't communicate much with them but not because of their religious beliefs but because we have all just sort of drifted apart over time.

"No thanks". Then ignore.

Here's my method. "Lo siento. No hablo ingles". If they speak Spanish "Ich kann nicht sprechen duetsche". German? "Wo bu shou zhongwen" Mandarin? "Je ne peut pas parle l'angais" French? "I don't speak English, then walk away 'cause I'm all out of tricks.

Tell them you are not going to donate any charity to their church fundraisers and they will quickly run from your doorstep to your neighbors when they realize they are wasting their time.

Walk away quickly before they can run you down!

Stop listening and consider what they're saying to be irrevalent to you.

SamL Level 7 Oct 8, 2017

I tell them that their 10 commandments are now part of the law, and since I'm not in jail I must be observing them, no need to go to church every week to re-learn them..

I like saying that I stopped practicing Christianity when I got it perfect. I then offer them advice.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:698
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.