Agnostic.com

7 15

LINK Restaurant Denies Christian Group Service Over its ProLife and LGBTQ Stances

Based on what this SCOTUS will rule regarding homophobic Xian bakeries, this will be perfectly legal. I don't agree with refusing service. If people pay their bill and gratuity and don't cause a ruckus, they should be welcome in the restaurant. By the same token, if a same sex couple want a wedding cake, their money is good and they should bake a cake for them.

barjoe 9 Dec 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

If SCOTUS rules that businesses can refuse to cater to LGBTQ then a business can refuse services to anti LGBTQ organizations as well. Let's wait and see what the decisionis. Next thing is that businesses will claim that is is against their religious right to refuse service to mixed couples, or people of a different religion, or people of a darker skin color based on their religious beliefs.

The restaurant will have made more money from the free publicity & promotion than what they lost on the night.

Who the fuck cares about anyone’s beliefs with this?

Your first concern is to get the business in the first place. Does money really care? No.

Presumably the xtians bar the ProLife and LGBTQ people from their whore houses -p I mean churches & places of worship so whats good for one . . .

Money is not the measure of worth.

I do not agree with refusing service or the cake bake thing either. The best I can say here is that payback is a bitch.

Something about geese & ganders?

It's legal in all cases, businesses do not have to provide service to people they don't like. They just can't discriminate because of things like race, religion, etc.

Doesn't political persuasion coincide with beliefs or creed? Discriminating against people they don't know because they don't agree with their beliefs? Sandwich shop in my hood won't serve cops. The owner doesn't know the individual officers. Should he be allowed to discriminate?

Included in your “etc.” may we assume is sexual orientation?

@p-nullifidian I think so, I would prefer that businesses not be able to discriminate against any status. "I support hate groups" is not a status, so no discrimination occurred,

I've refused to serve people because they were assholes. It's all about respect.

@BOBdammit Those are individuals you know and have worn out their welcome. Could an establishment say "No Democrats Allowed"?

@barjoe Personally, I’ve always believed in the “no asshole rule.” If, for example, I had a bar and a raging asshole came in, say somebody like the despicable Mel Gibson, I would have no problem refusing service.

@p-nullifidian I tended bar for 40 years (hence barjoe). If I flagged everybody who was an asshole, I wouldn't have had any customers. If people paid their bill, didn't get rip-roaring drunk and wouldn't bother other customers they're good. If they tipped well, they could get away with more than somebody who didn't. Religion and politics were pretty much a nono because they can cause fights.

@barjoe Fair enough, I’m clearly on the other side of the bar, but I still believe in the right of refusal.

@BOBdammit We assholes are being unlawfully discriminated against. I hereby demand to have my "A" included with the alphabet people. I further demand all of the special privileges and protections afforded the rest of said group.

As much as I enjoy seeing the sanctimonious pricks get hit in the face with a cream pie, I hate to see this kind of thing happen. If you run a business that is open to the public, you should not be able to discriminate against any would-be customer based on race, color, creed, gender, sexual orientation, or political affiliation.

Businesses absolutely have the right to not serve people they don't like so long as they aren't discriminating against whole categories of people based on race etc. That's not what happened here, they are NOT victims.

Political affiliation isn't a protected class like religion, race, gender, etc

@Druvius In this case, religion and politics are intertwined. Are we sure the restaurant was not discriminating based on religion?

Does vendor right to refuse sale & supply not apply in America?

@Flyingsaucesir Not according to what I read. Are there other allegations they refused to serve Christians? Nope. Only a modest percentage of Christians are LBGT haters, they aren't connected.

If someone is a shithead, they can embarrass themselves somewhere else.

I absolutely LOVE that their own tactics are being used against them.

It's funny how some people become totally outraged when confronted with their own bigotry.

@anglophone Ain't it though?

It's like they think the rules of common decency don't apply to them, or something.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:699334
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.