Agnostic.com

36 5

Downtime hobbies

I have a week with no extra work to do. I need a hobby. What do you like to do in your downtime?

ashortbeauty 8 Apr 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

36 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Writing / producing music / audio design and engineering - some graphics rarely now - listening to music - computers; Audio software, Digital to Analogue Conversion, Soundcards, DSP units & outboard transistor / valve gear. Acoustic Monitors and acoustic environment tuning / anti-reflection). Analogue Keys Plus new DAW's and soft syns / samplers / plugins / VST / environments etc. Have used / can use all DAWS to high standard - less so these days and Just stick To Logic Pro for audio work.

Usedto put on and help with gigs and sometimes get into social music projects / art projects.

Linux security hardening and a bit of cmd line sillines / some penetration testing and repairs .. mainly for fun. Have rescued some systems for people. Killed virus and restored data. Mostly for the kicks and challenge.

Modding / hacking phones (not stealing data) - reprogramming ROMS ..

Doing stuff with the internet you can't explain lol.

Hiking and mountain biking. Some yoga. Stretching. Reading. Woodwork sometimes. Writing performing poetry. Writing lyrics.

Maintaining a social media presence for self and helping out label who published some of my shenanigans . . Research historical and politics / economics and spreading truths and meming truths.

Love books .. Collect vinyl. Like cooking. Gardens / gardening. Animals. Some protest. Lots more. Being a mouthy ouspoken politcal gobshite online.

With all that you actually have down time? Dude you really need to get a hobby

@zorialoki Haha!!! I am slowing down a lot .. I have been known for not sleeping .. I am learning to sleep now !!

@kenriley I have done other things to be honest.. Like played badminton, I used to be a talented long distance runner lol .. 3rd fastest in country at 2 mile X Country - @16yrs .. in shitty mud .. no spikes .. every other fkr had running spikes.. Hangover - no training .. was a cyclist and just did it for the school for a laugh lol !! .. I honestly can't think of all the things I have gotten into - Kinda been involved in youth work and mentoring people and building bridges through musical links in local communities! working at somewhere with behavriouly challenged young adults / autism / ocd / add https:// all those things and all the others lol - life skills and stuff. - working with nature and organic and getting the youth doing biodynamic farming / organic .. so ties that into music it can be therapeutic and really help people develop own ideas or art!

Agnostic.com lol

I plan to make dancing my hobby. I’ve finally taken the plunge and signed up for an 8 wk Tango course. I plan to add salsa, bachata, and hip hop. I’d also like to get into cycling

Good for you signing up and making it happen

Dancing will never be down time, would become your Life!

I have an amazing bookstore down the street, I go there get coffee, sir in the balcony, read a book and people watch. Also there is an Indie cinema down the street so I can see flicks not in the chain cinemas. I would take a train into Philadelphia, go to the museums and take photos of William Penn and the fountain in Logan Circle. I'd spend a day in Baltimore go to museums and walk around Fells Point, maybe go to Fort McHenry then eat at Gias in Little Italy. I'd spend a day cleaning my apartment and doing laundry then go to happy hour. I'd incorporate my photography wherever I could as that is my hobby

Since separating from my ex...I now love cooking .He refused to eat anything I made and so my interest in cooking was nada .Also ..my kids were at the chicken nugget phase, and so any attempts at anything beyond this, were met with unhappy faces ! Fortunately this has changed ..

Start reading a book in a second language. Keep track of words frequency in a excel file. Find out how many words can you learn in one week...you may be surprised

That is a phenomenal idea

@ashortbeauty glad you think so... Learning anything new is always fun !!

Design and build kites for children.

way cool

Working on my Plex server, raspberry pi builds, or catch up on TV shows

I don't know if you own a house or not but when I get extra time I look around my house to see if something needs updating. Some things like paining some faded paint, picking some new landscape plants. I live in a mobile home so any of these projects are small.Take a one tank trip, catch up on my book reading.

I love building furniture or just tidying / decorating. It lasts a long time too the satisfaction as you use it a lot.

We buy pennies from banks (well not buy, trade dollar for dollar) and sort them and keep the copper (we have over $1,700 in copper pennies, they are worth $2.05 copper value per $1 right now) and make penny tables and stuff. We also find alot of old coins and foreign coins like a 1943 Nazi 5 Reichspfennig coin. That, and bing watch tv shows.

Very cool on the pennies. I have some I could sort

How can you tell the difference between the copper and zinc pennies?

@CraeftSmith pennies made before 1981 are copper. 1982 they switched mid year to zinc so you have to weigh them to see if they are copper. All canadian pennies up to 1996 are also copper.

The ones that look like gold are actually brass plated using the old alchemy trick with sodium hydroxide and zinc, then heat. Then they are epoxy coated and we put glow in the dark powder in them so you can draw on it with a flashlight at night (the Michigan blue one isn’t though)

Meditation.

Read, crochet, watch a good movie. Of course, my FAVORITE thing to do in my downtime is mess with my husband. ?

Mechanicing,and making more power with high mpg's is always my goal with cars.

I crochet but that’s probably not necessarily something you want to start if you just have a week. My other hobby is reading.

If you like animals you could see about volunteering at your local shelter.

Whatever you do, enjoy your week without extra work!

Thanks!
I've always wanted to learn tio crochet. Maybe I'll grab a book on that

@ashortbeauty that’s basically how I learned! YouTube is amazingly helpful as well

Video games, binge watch tv shows and anime... Go and take pictures of nature. Help out the homeless or animals in the shelters. Fish or just hang out at the beach and read.

All great ideas ?

I'm trying to manage a divorce and help raise 4 kids, two of whom are on various spectrums (spectra?). What is this "down time" you speak of?

I hear ya

I enjoy downtime. I can't understand how some people get bored and having nothing to do. I like to play ukulele, bicycle, hike, read, bowl, cook, and binge watch Netflix.

Playing piano or guitar.

Do some reading on ham radio? Been a ham since 1971, and Love it! My wife tolerates it?

N7EIE Level 6 Apr 30, 2018

Unfortunately l seem to be doing this. I need to get a life. ?

Here are a couple of things I like to do; both have to do with painting, but not walls.

1. It doesn't cost much to buy a small set of basic water colors - even a kid's set you could get at a dollar store, and a set of brushes. Also one or two pads of water color paper. You can go home and turn on your favorite music and paint to the music! If you get painter's block, open up a magazine or go to images on google for anything you like and enlarge it, even to the point of just painting a corner of a piece of drapery, large size, or try pinterest, but I like doing my own thing. If you like your creations, you can get a can of spray to "set" your work at an art or craft store.
  2. you could go to some garage sales or flea markets on the first weekend to see if you can pick up an old wooden chair, stool or bench - or even a doll's chair, sometimes under $5. Go to a Home Depot or Lowes type store - they usually sell samples of paint, sometimes you can get returned paint in pint or quart containers for $2.00 or less. When you get home, you can use your imagination to paint your flea market find into something cool! Or if you get a doll-sized chair, you can decorate it for a special little girl with jewelry or stickers and a coat of lacquer.

You could even ask friends over and have a painting party if you know other people who might like to join you!

I enjoy the game of darts. Reading is always good. For exercise I do karate.

Relax with a great partner.

I PS4 game. It can really take up my spare time and keep me out of trouble.

Thats funny. I just commentedin a post about having this weekend off. Ll about wrting on some music ideas that have been languishing.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:70222
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.