Agnostic.com

7 15

LINK The problem is neither faith nor atheism; it's the desire to have power and control over others.

By Andy T.

Religion/Faith/Spirituality only becomes a problem when it’s adherents decide they know what is best for others than those actual others do, and attempt to gain power and control over those others. History is lousy with this nonsense and there are mountains of corpses to prove it.

Atheists like to insist that they do not desire power and control over others, but although they have far less history, Stalin and Mao alone racked up a body count that approaches 75 million dead people — many slaughtered for their beliefs.

But weirdly, this desire for power and control is not isolated to faith or rejection of faith.

Political leaders from before the dawn of civilization have sought to impose their will on others.

Same with wealthy individuals.

Same with employers.

Same with police.

Same with teachers.

Same with street gangs.

Same with Academics.

Even scientists are guilty of seeking to find ways to dominate and control other people.

It’s not a religious problem. It’s not a problem with atheism.

It’s a problem with the fallacious and selfish human desire to exert power and control over the thoughts and actions of others for our own selfish desires and benefits.

It is also a mistake to assume ANY human is rational. Scientists can be angry jerks, academia is filled with rivalries and petty vindictiveness — you know, just like corporate workplaces, churches, schools … any place you find people.

And religion, money, power — those are just the tools used to channel this desire to control everyone else in our vain attempts to get everything we want, when we want it. It always fails and we hurt and injure others as we do this — and they retaliate and, well, just look at the Rec list if you want an example.

Now I’m off to go give Sunny scritches. Y’all try and be kind to each other.

HippieChick58 9 Feb 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

We need more kindness in the world rather than centroism. Listen to all , take only the good bits and follow no one.

Hence the problem in todays world around the globe. As our numbers escalate, exponentially and people from poor countries flee to the more wealthy countries the problems get even worse. There are simply too many competing ideas, needs and cultures to deal with and a politician with a true concern for decency finds themselves overwhelmed.

Even though we are an atheist community I discovered a brilliant piece of music that shouts what I have come to understand. I have posted this before but maybe others will see it and understand why we are where we are today.

AND...add in the inevitable displacement of populations due to climate devastation.

@pamagain Among other things. Here, in this country, a report was made that more people are actually moving into areas most affected by climate change. In most of the safer places housing and infrastructure prices are unaffordable (that's happening here - this year my home assessment went up $100K - and I was one of the lucky ones). However, as you alluded, climate refugees are a major part of the problem. We can't blame them as when tRump was (not) in charge many in this country were looking to move to Canada). I keep saying we must stop blaming people but we need a reason based policy on immigration. We cannot save the world and we will only kill ourselves in trying.

All they need is a vaccines that's fit all and be all. Listen and compliance with wealthiest men in the world with the least responsibility to your health. Be a good sheep dog or sheep.

I'll be exit stage right!!!

@jackjr I'd forgotten...you're on a low-lying island, aren't you?

I'm sorry, but I don't consider Stalin and Mao Atheists. They worshipped themselves and believed they were in essence gods and forced their respective peoples to worship them. Same with Hitler or any other despot who manages to achieve unbridles power. They generally use the predominant religion (s) of their countries to help in their control of the people if they can and are quite willing to destroy them if they present a threat to their total control of their population. That hardly qualifies them as Atheists or Humanists or free thinkers in any normal sense.

I think that religion does make it much easier to exert control over others. It's not quite so easy to manipulate atheists, although it can be done.

“In the animal kingdom, the rule is, eat or be eaten; in the human kingdom, define or be defined.” Thomas Szasz

I often say you can live your life one of two ways, the way YOU want to live it or the way SOMEONE else wants you to live it.

Yes but religion is unique in that, its ability to provide justification for things that are hard to justify by logic, reason, or appeal to honest good judgment, is its main use, and the main appeal of it. In other words, it is not an institution which needs to be corrupted, or diverted from its main purpose, in order to facilitate the, "selfish human desire to exert power", but is rather the institution which exists mainly for that purpose. Since it is the only human thought system which inherently makes no provision for questioning, and indeed does not value questioning.

While I would also contend that Stalin, Mao, and don't forget Pol Pot were not strictly or mainly atheists, but were mainly Marxists, which is quite arguably another form of religion. Since it begins with several unsupported presuppositions, ( beliefs ) such as, class war is inevitable, the victory of the working class is inevitable, history is predictable etc. .

Yup, any human institution can be corrupted, and all of them have been at one time or another. The people who run them have feet of clay.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:710377
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.