Agnostic.com

8 12

LINK Fox News is in a 'world of hurt' and facing a 'gargantuan verdict' in billion dollar lawsuit

Fox News is in a 'world of hurt' and facing a 'gargantuan verdict' in billion dollar lawsuit

Story by Tom Boggioni

Reacting to reports that Fox News hosts were spreading 2020 election fraud conspiracies on-air while privately texting each other that there was no truth to them, a former high-ranking Department of Justice official claimed the conservative network can expect to lose big in the lawsuit filed against it by Dominion Voting Systems.

Speaking with MSNBC host Alex Witt, legal analyst Harry Litman stated the network won't have a leg to stand on as they attempt to fend off the billion-dollar lawsuit.

In short, he told the MSNBC host, Fox News is "in a world of hurt."

"When it comes to the burden in this case, it falls on Dominion to prove that Fox acted with actual malice when it claimed that Dominion's voting machines were designed to rig elections," host Witt prompted. "That burden is typically very difficult to meet, but how far does this filing go towards meeting it?"

"Pretty far," Litman explained. "So actual malice is law-speak for they knew that they were purveying lies, or at least they were in reckless disregard of it. As you suggest, very rare to win that kind of lawsuit since the Supreme Court put that standard in place."

"Typically, in a defamation suit, you maybe have a rogue reporter or a negligent fact-checking system," he added.

Calling Fox a "rogue network" he added they were " ... just continuing to send stuff out that they knew was false and only for ratings. If a jury believes that, Fox is in a world of hurt."

Witt later asked, "I want to ask you to tell me about the law here. We know that it shields journalists from liability if they report or make false statements. However, not as I understand it, if they promote them. Does it seem like that is what is happening based on these messages. If that is true, will there be any repercussions for Fox News?"

"Without a doubt," Litman shot back. "Dominion is spoiling to get Fox's misconduct revealed."

"The Supreme Court has made clear, there is some value in reporters getting it wrong in a fast-moving news cycle etcetera," he continued. "There is zero value, social value, for any of us in knowing lies. And that is what they are accused of doing with unusually strong proof. They're looking at a gargantuan verdict or settlement and a huge reputational hit."

HippieChick58 9 Feb 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

As always, as it's America, I'll believe it when it happens. As there are endless appeal mechanisms in US corporate law, even a judgement against them could drag out for years, and in the meantime Republicans over time could be in control and intervene. The realities of America simply are what they are.

Could be a huge blow to the disinformation industry, and everything about that is good.

Bringing Faux Noise to it's knees will be a huge win for democracy.

Don't hold your breath!

'Scuse me...I'm having an attack of schadenfreude.

Welcome to the club. Lets hope it goes to super schadenfreude!!

Fox News is getting what they deserve for all there tabloid bs. Karma is a bitch.

Didn't they have a lawsuit before? I vaguely remember it being in Florida in the 70s that they won by claiming that they were an entertainment service and under the 1st Amendment weren't required to tell the truth.

How is this different? Is it 'yelling-fire-in-a-theater' because it affected our elections?
Don't get me wrong. I'd love to see Faux news get burned even to the point of dissolution.
But I wish I was more confident in my expectations for results.

Daily Kos has an article talking about the back-and-forth in the current lawsuit.
Fox's statement in the Dominion case is so lacking in evidence, it might as well be a confession [m.dailykos.com]

Again, here's hoping it goes the way I want it to.

From the link

The NYT lays out what comes next very succinctly.

The law shields journalists from liability if they report on false statements, but not if they promote them.

The evidence Dominion has presented that this happened is already a mountain. Fox hasn’t been able to summon up a pebble in reply.

I hope Dominion goes on to sue Tuckums, Hammity, Pirro , Ingraham etal..that would be brilliant..

We can only hope that this is the beginning of the end for these traitors to our country.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:710405
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.