Agnostic.com

13 8

LINK Russia must be defeated but not 'crushed' - Macron

I don't agree with Macron, but I'll let you make your own decision.

French President Emmanuel Macron has said he does not want to see Russia "crushed" by a defeat in Ukraine.

Speaking to French media, Mr Macron urged Western nations to increase military support for Kyiv and said he was prepared for a protracted war.

"I want Russia to be defeated in Ukraine, and I want Ukraine to be able to defend its position," he said.

But he hit out against those who he said wanted to extend the war to Russia itself in a bid to "crush" the nation.

The comments came as world leaders gathered at the Munich Security Conference, which saw promises to speed up the supply of weapons to Kyiv and impose tougher sanctions on Moscow.

"I do not think, as some people do, that we must aim for a total defeat of Russia, attacking Russia on its own soil," Mr Macron told the paper Le Journal du Dimanche.

"Those observers want to, above all else, crush Russia. That has never been the position of France and it will never be our position."

Addressing the conference in Munich on Friday, Mr Macron insisted that now was not the time for dialogue with Moscow.

But he did not shy away from mentioning peace talks as a final goal.

The president suggested that Ukrainian military efforts, supported by allies, were the only way to "bring Russia back to the table and build a lasting peace".

He also dismissed the prospect of regime change in Russia, saying similar efforts around the world as a "total failure".

Despite Mr Macron's comments, negotiations are a faraway prospect for Ukraine's leaders.

On Friday, Foreign Minister Dmytro Kuleba welcomed the decision to not invite Moscow to the Munich conference.

Russian leaders should not be invited to the table as long as the "terrorist state kills, as long as it uses bombs, missiles and tanks as an argument for international politics", he said.

President Volodymyr Zelensky has ruled out immediate talks with his Russian counterpart, Vladimir Putin, insisting there was "no trust" between the parties. In an interview with the BBC earlier this week, he also dismissed the idea of giving up territory to strike a peace deal with Moscow.

Mr Macron has previously been criticised by some Nato allies for sending what they believe are mixed messages on Ukraine.

Last June, he was condemned by Mr Kuleba for saying it was vital that Russia was not "humiliated over its invasion".

Mr Kuleba at the time responded that Russia - which was humiliating itself - needed to be put in its place.

HippieChick58 9 Feb 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Crushing Russia would be a mistake with very LONG and negative consequences. The Russian officials who are have supported Putin and helped him conduct this invasion should be brought to trial at an international tribunal, just like was done with Nazi war criminals. We can hope, that with Putin out of the picture, the Russian people can repair / improve their government and set about repairing their severely damaged nation.

I don't think that most people understand the whole problem there. They have been fighting for many years.

I think the only way to end this is to end Putin and his rule. Absolutely crush him.

Both Russia and Ukraine would benefit from a bullet being put into Putin's head.

US has very little to gain from Ukraine and Russia is most likely to, win, yet who really wins in a war. Smartest ones are the ones who got themselves out with their family and know the art of not fighting, because war solves nothing.

Because Putin will not stop with Ukraine.
You cannot appease a tyrant.

@BufftonBeotch

China, US and Russia, and all these big Countries that are Tyrants. If they can go private , so can I, even without the greed and absolute power.

#1)I would agree that taking the war into Russian territory would be a mistake. That would have the effect of uniting the Russian people against Ukraine. At present at least, the citizens of Russia appear split down the middle...don't tip the Apple cart in the wrong direction. #2)A Regime change would be good as Putin is OBSESSED, PARANOID and INSANE...which is a VERY DANGEROUS COMBINATION. Yes, we would have to hope the next hardliner waiting in the wings would have common sense. We can hope that he will "read the room" and pull out of a senseless war that is financially, morally and ethically bankrupting Russia. #3)Inviting Russia to the peace table can only happen if Putin is removed from power, and Russia agrees to guarantee Ukrainian sovereignty.

Then there is the issue of Ukraine being part of NATO. This has always been a thorn in Russia's side. Every time Russia was attacked(with the exception of the Japanese) it has been through Ukraine. Russia has to face reality though. If Western powers were going to attack...NATO could have done it decades ago. Soviet intervention and rule collapsed in the late 80's because of ECONOMICS...the US and it's Allies BANKRUPTED them. The only option on the table for Russia to wage a winning war is a Nuclear War...and it would be MUTUAL DESTRUCTION and they know it. There is no need for Ukraine to join NATO...we simply put it on the table that if Ukraine EVER were to attack or ALLOW access for an attack against Russia...then NATO STOPS THE ATTACK...if the reverse is the scenario then NATO STOPS THE ATTACK...Ukraine stays NEUTRAL. No need to put NATO forces or equipment in...they are bordered by NATO alliances that are literally an hour away. There needs to be a STAND DOWN at ALL borders around Russia to calm the frayed nerves. This BS has to stop. EVERYONE NEEDS TO STOP CRYING WOLF.

That's my 2 cents for what it's worth.

Unfortunately, this was what was needed to bring Germany to where it was today. Once all vestiges of corruption and power are gone than and only then can things be built anew.

Sounds like a good idea, but if Putin still wants to be an asshole they might not have any other choice.

At this point I don't think he can help himself. He has become a desperate maniac.

Kuleba is right: Russia has already humiliated itself (by commiting genocide and other war crimes). But Macron is right too. There is probably no crushing Russia without global thermonuclear Armageddon.

Any "crushing" of Russia would certainly involve nuclear war which is a non-win for all of us.

I voted for Macron in the last presidential election, but I do not like his strategy vis-à-vis Russia in this war, if there is some strategy, which I doubt. Nobody from the Western leaders has spoken more often with Putin during the last year, but with absolutely zero results. My impression is that he is dreaming of becoming the guy to broker a peace deal, and to be awared the Nobel peace price, so he tries to have the cake and eat it too: being still a partner of Putin and part of the alliance in support of Ucraine

I appreciate your input, having a truly front seat view of what is going on.

Fine, don't crush Russia.
However, Putin must be ground into a fine powder.

Kind of like what you would find in a bag of fertilizer? 😂

The only ones who could do this grinding are his buddies from the secret service or the military. And they won't do it because he is the guy holding the whole thing together. If he is toppled, they too may be dead or in prison soon.

@Thibaud70 You say that like it's a bad thing.
Their cowardice, in not doing the right thing, is worthy of them being ground down, too.

And, all those who have helped him.

Putin, however must be crushed. Or taken on a tour of a high-rise apartment.

How 'bout a lovely cup of poisoned tea?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:710406
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.