Agnostic.com

9 13

LINK A pastor compared honeymoon sex to how "Christ penetrates his church"

Josh Butler's disturbing article on The Gospel Coalition's website is a master class in how not to write about sex

Proving yet again that conservative Christians are incapable of talking about sex without being completely weird about it, Pastor Josh Butler has written an article for The Gospel Coalition linking sex with salvation and it’s rubbing (sorry) everyone the wrong way.

The Gospel Coalition, if you’re not familiar with it, is notorious for having the worst takes on the biggest hot button issues, from telling someone with a transgender colleague to never refer to her as “she,” to blaming the existence of bisexuals on “social contagion,” to claiming a man is no longer gay because his “identity is… in Jesus.”

But Butler decided to up the ante with his piece about sex.

He begins by mentioning how casual sex didn’t do much for him when he was younger… which is fine and relatable! But then things go off the rails fast.

… idolizing sex results in slavery. You can chart up your long list of ex-lovers and join Taylor Swift in telling the newest applicant, “I’ve got a blank space, baby, and I’ll write your name.” You can end up in the Egypt of a new romantic wasteland, more cynical and isolated than when you first began. Yet I’ve discovered a crucial corrective in the gospel that can lead us out into true freedom.

Sex wasn’t designed to be your salvation but to point you to the One who is.

It never occurs to Butler that some people are perfectly fine with casual sex. They aren’t traumatized by it. They don’t regret it. They have a great time. And that’s exactly what they’re looking for. You don’t have to feel the same way to understand that people can have different takes on this.

But it’s not enough that casual sex never worked for Butler. He needs to show you why sex within the context of marriage isn’t just better; it’s biblical. Just consider how sex is an act of generosity… for half of the people involved.

Generosity and hospitality are both embodied in the sexual act. Think about it. Generosity involves giving extravagantly to someone. You give the best you’ve got to give, lavishly pouring out your time, energy, or money. At a deeper level, generosity is giving not just your resources but your very self. And what deeper form of self-giving is there than sexual union where the husband pours out his very presence not only upon but within his wife?

There’s nothing Jesus loves more than a husband who jizzes on and inside his wife.

Even if we overlook the extremely specific language there, it’s messed up that the only definition of “generosity” within sex is the man ejaculating inside (and upon!) his wife. That’s literally “the best you’ve got to give.”

I guarantee if you ask any sex therapist—or anyone who has a healthy sex life—generosity in the bedroom would be defined by what you do for someone else.

Sex, as defined by Josh Butler, is something that’s purposely selfish. It’s about the man’s pleasure. That’s it.

What about the woman, though? Does she have a role to play here too? Of course! says Butler. God wants her to be a sexual homemaker, preparing space… for her husband’s semen.

Hospitality, on the other hand, involves receiving the life of the other. You prepare a space for the guest to enter your home, welcoming him warmly into your circle of intimacy, to share your dwelling place with you. Here again, what deeper form of hospitality is there than sexual union where the wife welcomes her husband into the sanctuary of her very self?

I swear, it’s not that hard to just admit sex is fun. Not everything needs a goddamn biblical tie-in to be enjoyable.

But Butler isn’t done yet! He hasn’t mentioned thrusting, much less thrusting in another language.

… The most frequent Hebrew phrase for sex is, literally, “he went into her” (wayyabo eleha). Translations often soften this for modern ears, saying he “made love to her” or they “slept together.” But the Bible is less prudish than we are, using more graphic language to describe what happens in the honeymoon tent.

That’s not an argument for why sex is good. That’s an argument for why Florida should ban the Bible before it gets into kids’ hands.

One Sunday morning, I learned how graphic this language can be. My friend Karen…

Oh no. Oh, God, no...

We were in Genesis 29, where Jacob marries Leah and Rachel, and the phrase wayyabo eleha shows up (we discovered) a lot! Karen has, you might say, a “Rated-G” personality: very prim, proper, and polite. We all saw her cheeks turn bright red, with a lot of awkward pauses, as she had to continually read the phrase “and Jacob went into her” over and over again.

First of all, why is Karen reading that chapter aloud without knowing what’s in it? That’s her fault. If Karen can’t handle what the Bible says, she shouldn’t be reading it.

Still, Butler makes it sounds like the entire chapter reads like erotica. It’s not! (It would be far more interesting if it was.) If you click on the very link he includes there, there are literally just two instances where the phrase “went into her” even shows up:

…  But in the evening he took his daughter Leah and brought her to Jacob, and he went in to her. (29:23)

…

So Jacob went in to Rachel also, and he loved Rachel more than Leah, and served Laban for another seven years. (29:30)

That’s it?! She couldn’t read those lines without turning red?! Why is Butler exaggerating how sexual all that is? He wrote how she had to “continually” read that phrase “over and over again.”

It. Shows. Up. Two. Times.

There are all kinds of things messed about that chapter of the Bible, but the sanitized language used to describe one guy having sex with two different women isn’t one of them.

With all that as background, Butler then moves on to discussing Honeymoon Sex.

On that honeymoon in Cabo, the groom goes into his bride. He is not only with his beloved but within his beloved. He enters the sanctuary of his spouse, where he pours out his deepest presence and bestows an offering, a gift, a sign of his pilgrimage, that has the potential to grow within her into new life.

…

… back in the wedding suite, the bride embraces her most intimate guest on the threshold of her dwelling place and welcomes him into the sanctuary of her very self. She gladly receives the warmth of his presence and accepts the sacrificial offering he bestows upon the altar within her Most Holy Place.

You see, kids, according to conservative Christians, a honeymoon is when two virgins spend their first moments of marriage with one person inside another, at which point—probably about 30 seconds into the act—the male “enters the sanctuary” marking his “deepest presence” inside of her and “pours out” a liquid-y communion wafer. Or, if you want to be extra creepy about it, “a sign of his pilgrimage.”

It’s telling that Butler refers to a woman’s vagina as the “Most Holy Place,” as if that’s the only part of her that has spiritual value. (Good luck finding any article on The Gospel Coalition’s website in which a woman’s brain gets the same description.)

The whole passage just gives off huge “penis homes” vibes.

There’s no mention of foreplay. There’s no mention of satisfying her needs. There’s no mention of how sex can still be meaningful without it leading to childbirth. And there definitely isn’t any mention of how deranged the underlying message is: Butler is just assuming both people are virgins, and they’re having sex for the first time on their honeymoon, and that everything is bound to be absolutely perfect, which for many virgins will absolutely not be the case. The Purity Culture mentality here is so damaging to so many people!

This is the sort of bullshit you write when you’re a Christian guy who has never spent any time thinking about a woman’s sexual desires. Sex, to Butler, is what a man does to a woman. Not with her. The pleasure goes in one direction. No other combinations are permitted. Procreation must be the end goal. And instead of just talking about the joy of the act, he’s trying to prose it up and wrap sex in biblical packaging.

Anyway, all of that leads us to Butler’s big revelation: Having sex with your wife is exactly like Jesus making sweet sweet love to a church.

This is a picture of the gospel. Christ arrives in salvation to be not only with his church but within his church. Christ gives himself to his beloved with extravagant generosity, showering his love upon us and imparting his very presence within us. Christ penetrates his church with the generative seed of his Word and the life-giving presence of his Spirit, which takes root within her and grows to bring new life into the world. 

Thrust that church, Jesus.

Do it continually.

Do it over and over again.

Wayyabo eleha the hell out of that building until you unleash Your seed all over (and within) our bodies to the point where we all need holy cigarettes.

If there’s any truth to this strained metaphor, it’s that Jesus leaves a lot of people unsatisfied.

At least that’s the vibe on Twitter from people who can’t believe anyone would publish this garbage.

snytiger6 9 Mar 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

All I see is just an illusion of a wired humans LOL

Who the Fuck wants Biblical sex?

What a dumb ass. I hate to hear his views on same gender sex.

Jesus is Coming. Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Is that "coming" or "cumming"?

The guy sounds like a nut job. No pun intended. 😂

This guy thinks too much about penetration.

It's a pity that his skull cannot be penetrated by reason and logic.

I shall remember my biblical moment the next time I finish ‘upon’ a woman.

They are desperate to mount that Jesus dick!

And as Mary Mother of Jesus might observe, He was born as the result of one God Almighty Fuck! (And Jesus, being God, also has God's dick at the top of his legs.)

Such utter bullshit.
Fuck all those assholes.

I sometimes imagine your chosen Avatar down the rabbit hole with your spirit and personality and imagine how different the story would have been.

"I'm not drinking that you fucking asshole!"

@BufftonBeotch Oh yeah. That would have been an entirely different story, for sure! 😉

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:712437
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.