Agnostic.com

10 9

LINK Tyre Nichols' family files federal civil lawsuit against Memphis and police officers for $550 MILLION | CNN

All these tragedies. And we, the taxpayers, foot the bill.

I'm not at all against these lawsuits, but DAMN! $550 Million? George Floyd's family won a record breaking suit at $27 Million.

And Ben Crump, who's leading the charges, I'm coming to think it's a damn grifter. Back in the day, we won these suits for a couple million and felt great about what we did.

#shrugs

Maybe I'm just getting old and out of touch. Making handing someone half a billion dollars seems excessive to me, as a taxpayer. I just have mixed feelings on this. 🤔

SeaGreenEyez 9 Apr 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

What price is a young mans life worth?surely not this pitence..so long as We continue to just roll with it, nothing will Change. The only way to change this corrupt, broken system is to burn it to the fucking ground.

@SeaGreenEyez indeed, and it's horrific that you had to endure his death, multiple times and bare the financial burden too often. Your experience is a perfect example of America's failure in Healthcare and Civil Law..Which is ruled by Insurance Corporate greed and deep pockets, while Civil Laws are skewed heavily in their favor.
I feel deeply for your loss, I can't imagine the anguish you experience daily at the loss of your son.

Dominion asked for $1.3 billion and settled for almost half. I would expect this to go the same way.

Lawsuits have not compelled the change that is needed to prevent this crap. Raising the stakes is the only way to get their attention.

Clearly even a record $27 million didn't result in more than a little changed behavior, and none of that was initiated from within the police departments themselves, so perhaps this amount will make the tax payers insist on change? I'm not sure what else would work, what with basic humanity not doing it, so I understand aiming high and seeing where it lands. Is there a way to get to the police unions?

Always shoot high in these cases.

Until tax payers realize - I mean FULLY realize - their support for the behavior by cops like these thugs comes with a steep price not much will change.
The cops themselves have nothing, so it's the city or local insurance that will pay some of the settlement.
😟

The usual transparent maneuver ask for the sky but expect something a little more down to Earth.

Lots of inflation today but you can always except less. It's hard to go the other way.

In a law suit, one can ask for anything but that does not mean they will get it.

I agree a half billion does seem excessive. Maybe it's just a starting point and will get negotiated down.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:720444
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.