Agnostic.com

3 5

The young people taking to the streets are right : their future is being stolen. The economy is an environmental pyramid scheme, dumping its liabilities on the young and the unborn . Its current growth depends on intergenerational theft.
At the heart of capitalism is a vast and scarcely examined assumption : you are entitled to as great a share of the world’s resources as your money can buy. You can purchase as much land , as much atmospheric space, as many minerals, as much meat and fish as you can afford , regardless of who might be deprived. If you can pay for them, you can own entire mountain ranges and fertile plains. You can burn as much fuel as you like.

It is not quite true that behind every great fortune lies a great crime. Musicians and novelists, for example , can become extremely rich by giving other people pleasure. But it does appear to be universally true that in front of every great fortune lies a great crime. Immense wealth translates automatically into immense environmental impacts, regardless of the intentions of those who possess it. The very wealthy, almost as a matter of definition , are committing ecocide.

Thibaud70 7 Apr 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

BINGO. You've got it.

I disagree. This will not result in any progress. It may result in Marine Le Pen taking power. Giorgia Meloni wasted no time attacking Macron the minute she took power in Italy. Why is that? To destroy the president. They will try and sabotage the upcoming Olympics. This is a nightmare for France.

I don't see any connection between my OP and your comment

@Thibaud70 "he young people taking to the streets are right : their future is being stolen"" You're justifying, my view, the unrest in France. I gave my opinion on what I think the end result will be from that.

Yup, and unfortunately, the rich folks who commit it usually die before the effects of their crimes would ever be felt by them personally, if ever, since they can afford to live wherever they want. However, their crimes may eventually come to affect and haunt their children and grandchildren, unless they can escape to somewhere in space by the middle of this century...

Why do you think Musk is exploring Mars (at partial taxpayer expense)?

@rainmanjr I don't doubt that is the reason.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:720510
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.