Agnostic.com

12 4

Does marketing influence our sense of security?

What make's you feel secure?

atheist 8 May 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Oh heck no, it does the opposite. Marketing makes you feel your life isn't good enough unless you buy this product or that. What makes me feel secure is trusting my gut and my assessments, questioning things, and not letting anyone or anything make me doubt or feel less about myself.

Not usually. I can think independently, and marketing ploys, if anything, usually annoy me because they assume I am gullible.

Marketing is propoganda. It has you (enough 'yous' to make it monetarily feasible) believe whatever 'it' wants 'you' to believe. One can ignore it so it doesn't affect one directly, but the indirect effects are felt. (This is my simplified version.)

Of course.

Only if you allow it.

My personality, my dogs and where I live.

No, it tells me about the availability of products on the market and l get to decide if l want to purchase any of the products. Works really well for me. If you are brainwashed by marketing, that says more about you than advertising.

Yes. Research shows it makes us (especially women) feel inadequate. But with the way advertising is marketing to men now, I'm sure they're catching up in the area of low self-worth

All advertising is made to make us feel that we urgently need or want someone. In some cases, it uses fear as the motivation for need or desire. Of course, it is designed to make inroads into our senses of security.

@atheist Because it is specificaloly designed to play on human weaknesses.

A broad and unspecific question deserves a broad and unspecific answer.

Yes

Definitely.

Yes.
Fear is a commodity.
. I don't feel insecure.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:72189
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.