Agnostic.com

15 3

In todays society, if a man compliments a woman on her clothes, look or style is it sexual harassment?

JayJackson 7 Dec 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It seems to me the better looking you are, the less people are offended. Not too fair, but it is what seems to be true.

And it seems to be ok when women say things or touch men’s chests.

No -you look nice today is okay with me.

Only if he is looking up her dress and says nice underwear.

Yeah, I don't think that the rules have necessarily changed. Just that more predators are being called out on there toxic harmful Behavior. I mean usually it's pretty clear to a "normal" person what is a compliment, and what is harassment.

Unfortunately as with everything it's open to interpretation. Also, unfortunately, some of us are ridiculously over sensitive. There are no iron-clad definitions as of yet. For me, if a man makes me feel threatened, and his bad intent is obvious he crossed the line. I've had men (recently) tell me I had nice tits, show their dick to me and I was 12 years old had an older man who would stare me down and tell me he wanted to teach me how to kiss. All of these actions were unwanted , inappropriate and showed a level of threat. It was done as a power-play to make me feel insignificant.

No, If that's all it is,

its crasy

It's hard to tell anymore, since we don't know where it's coming from and what the purpose of the compliment is. Anymore, it almost always seems suspect.

That being said, we are REALLY hung up on looks. I realize that's important, but it seem to be the first... and ONLY thing we notice. And I get it. I find it hard to turn past those pictures of hot guys in their undies. But I will NEVER be in that league. So it's all about looks... which means that I'm "sexualizing" them... and I don't think that's healthy.

Yes ,and just to be sure ,wear dark sunglasses like me,so you will not be accused of malicious Leering.

Sexual harassment : "hey Baby, you look hot in that dress, why don't you come to my place and take it off ?" , spoken while standing in her personal space.

Pure compliment : " Great choice of dress, looks really good on you" - keeping a respectful, comfortable distance.

I only wear what I feel comfortable in. I don't follow fashion. I wear a lot of sports clothing. Jeans as well, on my days off. I lounge at home in Under Armour shirts and hoodies. Workout pants at night. I dress for myself. No one comments on my clothes, no guy ever does to me.

Over the years I've heard a lot of office flirting from men and women. I don't think any of it would qualify as harassment, but I've also heard some sleazy comments that I would consider harassment. It's pretty obvious what the difference is, when you see it.

I’ve never complimented a woman on her clothes (perhaps why I’m single) … because it’s not the clothes that attract me. And, it seems that women dress for women...

I’d worked in an environment of women, and never knew how to respond when they’d actually compliment me on something I was wearing… Thinking back, it was kinda creepy, but I don’t know at what point I’d have considered it harassment?

Varn Level 8 Dec 8, 2017

Depends on exactly what he says, how he says it, and the circumstances in which he says it.

If you are not sure a good rule of thumb is "Don't say it!"

Like my rule for marriage I think could apply to this: when in doubt, don't!

It depends on how a man does it.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:7253
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.