Agnostic.com

89 16

Do u think Christianity is bad ? What's your opinion on it

Ya know I have a very hard time respected the religion . We as athiest or agnostics know it's bogus . Its a book that basically tells u what to believe is right or wrong and if u don't agree then your wrong and the co sequences are going to hell . The Bible itself is poorly written . One chapter gods this nice loveable person then the next he's growing babies and slaying baby's and cursing them ! So many people hate gays and lesbian people becus of the Bible . Whether I think it's nasty or not doesn't mean its wrong . I also hate the disrespect I get when I tel people I'm athiest. Why can't we think for ourselves ?

DavidDeLa89 6 May 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

89 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Trillions of dollars are sucked out of our economy and wasted on building and maintaining churches.

With all due respect this is not a particularly good argument. Too many resources are wasted on useless skyscrapers, aircraft carriers, tanks, ammunitions etc. Some men would argue that too many resources are wasted on women's handbags and they might counter that too much is wasted on cars.

@PontifexMarximus Well, any waste of resources is bad, and in this particular topic about the stupid Christian, it fit the discussion.

@TuyTran888 But an argument should be more specific!

@PontifexMarximus yes, He is talking about the waste of resource in the stupid Christian churches, that is specific. but then you are the one bring other stuff in and try to delude the issue that he talking about.

@PontifexMarximus He was on the issue of the subject of Christian, you are the one that brought in unrelated thing such as skyscraper and tank, and weapon.

@TuyTran888 He talks about economics: "Sucked out of our economy and wasted on building and maintaining churches."

@PontifexMarximus He talk about economic related to Christian. Do you even get that? your skyscraper and tank and weapon did you show the relation to Christain?

Sure...most of our wars have been religious wars.@TuyTran888

@nicknotes I was asking at PontifexMarximus, Let him think about it. people really need to learn to think better. We can not just think for them, we can help them to improve their thinking.

@nicknotes exactly ... There exists a rather unholy alliance between religions and the urge to fight wars.

@TuyTran888 Pontifex's comments make sense in that "money sucked out of the economy" is the TAX-FREE money spent on these things.

@LucyLoohoo The question I asked was for Pontifex. I was checking to see if he even know what he is saying. I am not as stupid as you think.

@TuyTran888 the economic argument is, in my opinion, not the best against Christianity because it is non specific.

I disagree.....Christians are parasites in our economy. Churches don't pay taxes and they take money from poor and middle class people and provide no benefit. @PontifexMarximus

@nicknotes couldn't agree more with you ... However, this is an argument that can apply to all sorts of human pursuits: wars, sports, stupid tv-shows and the list goes on. The entire economy is a waste ... Trillions of dollars are wasted to make a few people rich.

@PontifexMarximus Do you see this is the title of the post. "Do u think Christianity is bad ? What's your opinion on it" Stay within the context. stop bullshiting.

@TuyTran888 don't be insulting because you don't understand my point.

@TuyTran888 I appear to be rather arrogant nd self righteous.. You do not understand that unspecific arguments lack impact. Furthermore you don't seem the seem the connection between religous institutions and war.

Yeah, can we not think for ourself the way we think? I was an ex- christian ; this year on february i announced to my christian family that i am an ATHEIST. I did not know where i find the strength to speak boldly about what i truely think. Now i am in World -war 3 with them. I have no problem with lesbians and guys even though i am straight. If would be possible , i would even have been a lesbian myself. Yes , i am attracted to what a woman thinks and i am happy when we two have the same thoughts ; however when comes in mind , in MY opinion is a no -no between two women and two men if we are honest. the ugly truth is a vagina is for a penis and the other way around . I it nature. Concerning, CHristianity i personally find it to be non-sense since the BIble ist sexist, racist and very contradicting. My christian mother raised me to be ashamed of my sexuality as long as i can remember ; not only my sexuality but also all that has to do with sex. To me , is the brainwashing of minds of human beings . Even though i am not a christian anymore, i do find myself saying'JeESUS CHRIST' when i am shocked. I did not even think. Jesus is good man , was since he lived 2000 years ago and i respect him . However christianity , itself , is nonsense since human beings make Jesus , a man , above their level . I know we all have light and darkness inside us. He find his true core to shine out ; if he can do it so can we , ATHEIST.

A vagina is free to decide her choices. ...you are ignorant and wrong to post any penis belongs in any vagina. ...humans are complex endocrinological evolving beings. ...our hormones and brains vary widely so much so that some people are born with both vagina and penis some ovaries do not decend into labia and grow into testicles inside a growing scrotum. ...choose whatever lover you might or masturbate during any safe fantasy but don't pretend to be an Atheist dictating binary sex obligations

First of all, if i do not believe in GOd , I definately have the right to say
I AM AN ATHEIST, second of all, use your brain before you speak, third of all NATURALLY a woman and a man complete each other!

@delilah What basis do you have, in other words what evidence do you have that a woman and a man complete each other?

@Willreef two women can NOT naturally give BIRTH to a baby after sex; two men can NOT give birth to a baby after sex too.

@delilah the choice to give birth DOES NOT DEFINE WOMEN and only bigots believe lesbians are deviants. ...it is the bigot who is the deviant pretending a vagina is not complete without a penis .....infertile women are under no obligation to be ed nor are girls subject to male entitlement. ....this idiocy by "delilah" is pure patriarchy no doubt remnants of xian brainwashing. ...our Atheism is not simple departure from church. ...our Atheism is critical thinking in action and zero genuine Atheists would spew obligations of vaginae to be penetrated

@delilah So you only think a woman and a man can only be complete if they produce a child (for my analogy lets assume they are married.) What about a couple that can't reproduce and use a surrogate ? Is the man then somehow complete with the surrogate and not his wife? There's a myriad of examples I could use. But I think the problem stems from your limited understanding of humans, in every manner. Your definition of complete is so, so very incomplete.

@Willreef misogynistic bigotry by Delilah leads me to consider she is faking Atheism here a real zealot for zygotes wanting all women to stay pregnant

@GreenAtheist Yeah, I find it very difficult to believe Delilah is not trolling. I find even more difficult to believe that "she" is an atheist and holds such entirely backwards views. The reason I put she in quotes is because it could easily be a man trolling. My hope is that this community finds a way to deal with the trolls so our time is used to move the world forward rather than wallowing through their shit.

@Willreef i do not know all about the world and i would definitely not say i am intelligent enough to teach. NO, i would not say. I would say though, All human beings have to right to live as long as they are not harming themselves and others. Atheist do not believe in god because they are logical thinker which i am fond of. NOw if we put the hatry aside , we all came from our mothers and fathers. YES, even you came from your mother, woman, and your father, man. Correct me , if i am wrong. Our exists are due to our parents ,mothers and fathers and it is not my opinion but a FACT. Whether you accept it (fact or not ) , the fact is still the fact.

@Willreef, @GreenAtheist , ''all women to stay pregnant'' is not what i say . You misunderstood me. I said all human beings have the right to live FREELY as long as they do NOT harm themselves and others. The relationship between two woman can be (MUST NOT) sister-ship, friendship and or whatever-ship but NOT sexual-relation . THe same stays true for the relationship between two man.

@delilah so you want bedroom police to stop gays in love and stop lesbians in love....do you really want to fuck a gay man STRAIGHTEN HIM WITH YOUR VAGINA AND HAVE A GAY CHILD ?????

@delilah I can't have a conversation with you unless you proofread your comments so they make logical sense.

@Willreef child birth is a good way that a woman and man complete themselves. What proof do you have that they do not?

@Willreef If your parents thought like you do, we all would not need to suffer through your ignorant comments because you would have never been born. I support freedom of sexuality for gays but the fact is that if everyone was gay our species would die out. Oh and by the way if being gay is so great then why are gays always trying to convert straight people into being gay? sometimes people make being gay almost as bad as a religion trying to convert the world.

@Willreef What makes you think atheists are moving the world forward when there isn't enough of us to fill a high school football field! lol. I do not like religion but at least they stand together against atheists, we can't even stand together against religion and we are the minority.

Personally I sincerely doubt even Christ himself would be a Christian. The sayings of Christ are always paradoxical and always seemingly a good path to follow. Everything Christian contradicts everything Christ is reported to have uttered. I believe the sayings are closely accurate since the writers did not, could not possess such highly evolved wisdom. It is the fundamentalists of every creed who lack the ability to conceive abstractly. To make concrete what is meant as symbolic is the curse of all creeds. George Bernard Shaw had an interesting concept. The ability to think symbolically was an evolution leap forward. As it underlies the theory of evolution, we see in this era the struggle between those who can think symbolically against those who cannot. How long this competition will continue is unknown, and as to which side wins out, I believe the higher abstract thinkers and those who can grasp thr paradoxical will triumph. The same goes for the quality of empathy.

Keep in mind though that according to the bible (since its the only "historical document" of Christ) Jesus said he did not come to bring peace, but war. He also said he held to the letter of the law ie the old Testament

@ashortbeauty see here for 50 asshole things said by Jesus, with bible references [dwindlinginunbelief.blogspot.co.uk]

@ashortbeauty As I mentioned above, take that sentence symbolically then apply it to yourself. As for the letter of the law ie, the old testament look at the context of the entire encounter. The law of the old testament, what is it? The importance of that understanding will give some interpretation to his having said that. To which letter of the law is he referencing. To whom is he speaking? Also, there are other accounts of the sayings of Christ which were left out of the Cannon, as they were too profound to be understood.. I suggest a reading of the Gospel of St Thomas, which was left out when the Council of Nicea Circa 365 AD gathered together high ranking officials of the then various competing interpretations of the Catholic Church and they decided amongst many various writings concerning the first century what to put in and what to leave out. Thanks for commenting on my post.

@LenHazell53 If you take the time and read them without prejudice, then you might, just might see through these modern misconceptions. Furthermore,I suggest you read the philosopher Kierkegaard then Nietzsche. Follow that up with the essays by Heidegger on thought and being. Then the poetry of Rilke and Holderlin. It will take a decade to grasp, then return with something of value rather than opinions. True opinions and short comments are fun and I do it myself quite often. But when it comes to a matter of a thought out post, you might take time to provide a thoughtful response. I will go to the blog, as you suggested. This will be fun. Thanks for sharing that info.

@LenHazell53 I read the blog of Mr. Wells as you suggested. Now read the first chapter of Heidegger's essay called 'Thought, Language. Poetry. It's online as a pdf file. Compare his writing with Heidegger. As for the depth and length of the disparity between discourses, I will leave you to that comparison. Oh, by the way, Mr. Well’s writing truly is elementary. But then hopefully he has an agent who advised him to write that for the sake of sales. Otherwise, if this is an example of the level of thinking he can reach, then I can only say, everyone goes as far as they can.

@philosophy the laws of the old Testament were to basically corral in people's thinning to one right way and many wrong ways of living. It took away choice and replaced it with murderous acts of treachery.

While your to do list is much appreciated maybe take a step down from time to time to learn how to better approach people.

And you completely skipped over our Lord coming to bring war, not peace. Even if taken symbolically (which I shouldn't have to argue since to never responded) why bring turmoil instead of enlightenment, togetherness, or wonder?

@philosophy The Gospel of Thomas was not left out of the Canon of scripture at the councilS (plural) of Nicea and the Council of Ankara, it was left out (And destroyed to the Best of their efforts) because it undermined the power of the church too much, as were the gospels of the disciples, the gospel of Mary, the gospel of Judas, the apocrypha of Peter and dozens of others.

@philosophy Either the words of the bible mean what they say or they don't.
If they do the bible is an evil book, old and testament and if it were not a religious text would probably be banned.
If they don't, what is the point, it means none of it can be trusted, all of it it open to cherry picking and reinterpretation into whatever you want and can be made to say precisely the opposite of what it does say, who would want that? Oh yes a powerful church with enormous wealth and a a billion gullible sheeple following them, ask a silly question.

We have nothing but the Bible to say that this Jesus guy ever existed, and nothing we have was written during his lifetime (or for almost a century afterward). None of it was written by anyone who could have known him IF he existed. Why bother to follow such nonsense?

@AtlGeekWoman There is mention by the Roman/Jewish historian Flavius Josephus (A.D. 37 – c. 100) was a Jewish historian born in Jerusalem. In a passage from his work Antiquities 20:200, he writes as follows: Having such a character ["rash and daring" in the context], Ananus thought that with Festus dead and Albinus still on the way, he would have the proper opportunity. Convening the judges of the Sanhedrin, he brought before them the brother of Jesus who was called the Christ, whose name was James, and certain others. He accused them of having transgressed the law and delivered them up to be stoned. But those of the city residents who were deemed the most fair-minded and who were strict in observing the law were offended at this. Accordingly, they secretly contacted the king [Herod Agrippa II], urging him to order Ananus to desist from any more such actions, for he had not been justified in what he had already done. Some of them even went to meet Albinus, who was on his way from Alexandria, and informed him that Ananus had no authority to convene the Sanhedrin without his consent. Convinced by these words, Albinus wrote in anger to Ananus, threatening him with punishment. And King Agrippa, because of this, deposed him from the high priesthood, in which he had ruled for three months. (There is no mention of divinity and such. Nor any of what later was written by Paul. It was this man, Paul who created Christianity with its hell and heaven. A man who was a murderer). You might take a read from the philosopher Nietzsche on Paul. He utterly destroys him and everything he stood for. You will find it very interesting.

@philosophy That mention is in a passage that most scholars consider to be a later addition to the text. I'm already convinced that Paul was a disgusting excuse for a human and author of most "Christianity."

I think the only reason Christianity is bad is because of hate crimes that it incites, if people just read it with an open mind as a book of theories they would soon realise that it contradicts itself. I don't think Jesus himself said anything I disagree with (feel free to educate me if he did say anything bad), he even got peed off at the establishment, which I think many people can relate too. I'm sorry people disrespect you for being atheist, but you see we as non religious are also prone to feeling those of faith are missing something, so it's very similar. Why can't we think for ourselves? Many of us can!

I know a billion reasons why xian activity is bad.... billions of violated boys and billions of violated girls many still alive terrorized by faiths and raped by thousands of clergy

@GreenAtheist that's not Christianity, that's grooming and abuse. 2 quite distinct things. I know people that have been raped whilst in the care of Christian organisations, and some that have had that experience from family friends and family members; none hold Christianity accountable for what happened to them! That's a bizarre connection to make and what about the millions of abusers aren't affiliated to the Christian faith? Sorry, it's no dice for that argument with me!

Jesus is a liar! He CLAIMS that the Jews are the holy people of god, which is racism! When any other race does this it is wrong but when the Jews do this everyone thinks it is ok. Jesus himself said, " you do not take bread given to the children and give it to dogs!" He (Jesus) is calling anyone who is not Jewish a dog! The Jews even have a racist term for everyone who is not Jewish, they call us GENTILES!

@IpraiseMYSELF I disagree, It was God that called the Jews the chosen people (allegedly). Jesus had massive issues with the establishment of his time, i.e. the Jews. I'm not in the least bit bothered by anyone who calls me Gentile, or Heathen or any other monika that indicates that I'm agnostic, it's their call.

@girlwithsmiles There is no god, so when the Jews say god told them anything they are lying and using a false imaginary being to get what they want! Just because Jesus had problems with the Jewish leaders doesn't mean he did with Jews. He clearly states that salvation is ONLY for the Jew. Paul is the one who opens salvation up to everyone else! I'm glad your not bothered by annoying Christians but I am, and I have the right to speak out about it!

@IpraiseMYSELF there is no God, so any discussion is hypothetical/ academic/ whatever you wish to call it, however it's a bit like discussing characters in any book, if one person said one thing and another said something else.
I really don't know any racist Jews, although I understand that people of one faith often want their family to marry those of the same faith, probably just as we'd rather our kids marry someone who is capable of open minded logical thought, (if I had kids).
No, the people that bother me don't usually do so with their religion, it's their attitude and vibes that count, if I can turn hippie for a moment!

@PalacinkyPDX ah, I see, perhaps it's just because I don't actually know any Jewish people, in the flesh, I only, 'know of' the many Jewish entertainers that abound our television and movies. Point taken.

Yes, it's bad. All major religions are bad, except Buddhism; that one doesn't cause harm; at least it doesn't seem like it would.

oh wow! the double semi-colon! I think I'll leave it.

Buddhists in SE ASIA eagerly fought resistance wars against China France and USA not following the pacifism of monks burning themselves with gasoline or the Dali Lama. ....chanting mindlessly NA MYU YO HO REN GYE KYO fast is not much different than Catholic MASS against women's right to choose

Buddhism is stupid because it is a waste of time and effort! Sitting under a tree until reaching enlightenment is insanity! Buddhism teaches people to spend countless hour in meditation to better themselves when getting up and actually taking the steps to better yourself would make much more sense!

buddhism is a philosophy that followers turned into a religion. there are no gods to bow to or fear. its more about being a good person, doing as little harm as possible and not being an extremist about anything.
-im not a buddhist.
-someone will probable tell me im wrong.
-have a nice day.

@h_seldon Yeah, that. ?

@PalacinkyPDX Ethic cleansing is horrific. In my mind, they're not true Buddhists, so in that regard, it's bad; similar to bigoted hateful people who call themselves Christians, but don't bother practicing the teachings. That said, I don't really know that much about it. I read an Alan Watts book once, and liked his take on it.

I am very fortunate to live in a place where I don't have to pretend to be man just to survive.

The question should be in regards to organized religion. There are people who follow the teachings of Christ that empathize the good. Charity, love and so forth.

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS CHRIST! How can you be an atheist and believe in a Christ!

@IpraiseMYSELF What do you care what I believe when it impacts you not at all. I do not follow a particular religion nor all the teachings of Jesus Christ. I take a combination of many religious leaders or simply people who do good works and apply it to my life.
What I find interesting is that I thought that religion caused bigotry for the most part but I found some here which was surprising.

@Iamkratom I care because I am tired of religion destroying the world and causing war which would definitely impact me! I care because I want the world to be a better place without hateful religions fighting each other. I care because there is a million places for your religions but only a few non-religious places that theists want to take over. I care therefore i speak!

@IpraiseMYSELF Highly unlikely this party of one will start a war anytime soon. My psychic talked of an after life. Is she in trouble too??? You're are speaking of organized religion. Not individuals who are against churches for the very same reason you outlined. If my spiritual walk is leading me in the direction to do good deeds, vote response people in office, what do you care? We have the same goals just different pathways

I think all religion has some good but is mostly bad.

That sounds like a politicians answer! lol.

@IpraiseMYSELF A little explanation may be in order. I was raised Catholic and remember with great fondness the community which welcomed extended families. Elderly great grandparent to infants and cared and respected all. That is the good. I abhor the indoctrinated beliefs that all had to endure and now consider it a form of child abuse. Of five children, I am the only one who was able to break free of the lies.

@bobhoff59 Thanks for the explanation, I agree with your statement about the indoctrinated beliefs, but for me I never felt welcome at any churches unless I was putting money in the tithing box. It seems to me that the church pushes away the poor and homeless at service time because they do not want to smell them or they want that seat for a paying customer not a beggar. Then they love to go out to the street and hand out free soup in order to get tax exempt status from Uncle Sam and prove to be pillars of the community. I was homeless for years and I remember the majority of the homeless community to be drunks and drug addicts who used the church to get a free meal. So who is the church really helping? Drunks and drug addicts or the working man who is having a difficult time? The truth is that the church sends the majority of the tithes and offerings overseas to other countries for missions and spreading their gospel. So why are they getting tax exempt status if the only communities they are helping are other countries and feeding drug addicts? I disagree that the church cares and respects all, because I have seen their lies and hate first hand. The church is all about greed, power and money!

Many atheists and agnostics claim religion is entirely bad, but I disagree.

Anything that persisted for a long time had some utility or it would have died out instead of growing.

Religion is a wonderful tool to unite people, considering how divided the US and some other countries are becoming, I think it's reasonable to acknowledge the utility religion has played as "social glue".

Even some secular scholars have theorized codifying basic rights for peasants happened under the Church of England and not under other societies.

One of my favorite mental health quotes is, "what you once did for survival is now one of your biggest obstacles". That's largely how I view religion, it likely had significant utility hundreds or thousands of years ago, but right now we're transitioning and see a lot of flaws.

I guess your right religion is a wonderful way to unite people. Like all the wars it has caused, that must be a great way to unite people! NOT.

@IpraiseMYSELF hmmmm, do you want an honest nuanced discussion or merely venting?

@educatedredneck I do not need discussion, mainly just venting right now! But if you like to know how I truly feel I have a lot of comments in P.A.T.C.H. a group on my home page about this subject! If you comment on some of them I will be happy to answer any questions or have a FRIENDLY debate with you!

@IpraiseMYSELF ok, I'm not in PATCH and fairly busy for a few weeks.

BTW, I largely agree w you on wars, monotheism is a godsend for empire building, there's even a few good things there but mostly probably bad.

Any society needs some level of unity and religion is a unifying factor, with some extreme costs for that unity.

I've heard secular scholars who claim the Church of England and Xtianity played an integral role in first codifying basic rights for peasants.

BTW I prefer dialectics over debates

Christendom is not particularly bad, all religions and stifling doctrines are. The real drama is the usage of religions as instruments of power and oppression. Don't worry about the bible. There are idiots out there who will tell any nonsense some of their cult leaders exfiltrate from the bible as others do from the Koran and yet others from the Financial Times.

So to worship a murder, a torturer, and command it followers, to kill gay people is not a bad thing? What kind of person are you? Where is your moral?

Obviously you don't understand my comment. Try to make comments not personal attacks!

@PontifexMarximus I am not doing any personal attack here. You are the one that doing the shitty things, not me.

I consider religion and superstition the worst thing that ever happened to humanity. It's the cause of suffering, war, prejudice, racism, homophobia, sexism, and brutality to children. Many others, I could go on and on. How about slavery? The movie "12 Years a Slave" brings out beautifully how the plantation masters felt morally superior to their slaves because the Bible condones it.

If only it was the only cause of those things. Then we could get rid of it and live in a utopia.

@indirect76 Of course it's not the only cause but in most a major cause. Take homophobia for example. It's totally natural in nature as only a small percentage of mammals get to reproduce. The Bible calls it "abomination" cause gays make a convenience scapegoat.

My father's mother was Christian and she was the sweetest, most generous, helpful, loving person you can imagine. She took her faith seriously. Now..did she ever question the really AWFUL stuff her bible said? I don't know. But I know that the parts she loved were "good" for HER (and, therefore, the people around her.) I don't think that a THING can every be totally ''bad'' or even ''good.'' It's the uses applied with that thing that have positives or negatives.

It not the religion that made her sweet and nice.
I can't remember who said this but
Good people will be good but it take something like religion to make a good person do evil..

@Rdurham I understand that. I also know that her religion sustained her during times of trouble and guided her when she looked for answers. As much as I dislike theism...I know it exists IN PART because of people like my grandmother.

Why get so bent out of shape over OTHER people’s beliefs. Let the theocrats get upset and support your appreciation of science, ethics, etc.I.E. Whatever convinces YOU that theocracy of any kind is just an invention to control the people. Don’t be like them and ‘hate’ just because of belief system differences. People can work together regardless of belief systems!

There are plenty of reasons to get bent out of shape. If they would just practice their cult and leave the rest of us alone, that would be fine. However, the Religiously Impaired impact the lives of those who do not subscribe to their cult. Example: Planned Parenthood. I could go on and on.

Christianity is the stupidest religion of them all. It is herd mentality at its best. They even call their followers sheep,and the flock! Their leaders are called shepherds! These people say only the poor can enter heaven and they live in $200,000 houses. They point out everyone else's so called sins and claim to be saved by grace when they sin. They blame a mystical creature called Satan for everything bad, and claim that their god-man Jesus floated into outer space on a cloud in front of hundreds of people after he physically rose from the dead! WTF

All religions are equally insane and have their violent sub cults of the many cults

If you like this quote join us on P.A.T.C.H. People Against The Christian Hypocrites a group on this site! You can find it by going to my home page and looking at my groups.

Indoctrination

Rip open the bellies of pregnant women, keep the virgins alive for your pleasure 2 Kings 8:12 in the error free kjbible you bet EVIL cannot bevreformed

@GreenAtheist I looked that up and discovered cross references to several other "ripping open women's bellies". The more I read the Old Testament, the more I realize that it God is very jealous, bloodthirsty at times, and petty. And for those against abortion I would ask why god is condoning it.

Bad, yes, put to evil purposes, yes.
A lie is bad,
lies built on lies built on lies and you have the catholic church

There a lot more bad things from just the Christian it self doing to humankind that almost like no one can describe it all in one lifetime. The difficulty here is that we all need to acknowledge how bad such belief system would do to humankind. That how we can live a better life, and not just ignore them because they will harm you whether you even more if you are not aware of it.

Like everything, it has it’s good parts and it has it’s bad parts, and it would be folly to reject it outright or follow it blindly.

Well said.

All religions are bad .

I agree. The question was about Christianity so that is what I answered. 🙂

I really think all religions are bad without exception. they seem to suit men much more than women too.

I think the Pastafarians are ok ... Though only their vegetarian chapter .. The noodle monster with Brussel sprouts instead os meat balls.

In my honest opinion, I think that at this stage of human development, Christinanity and all religions are a blight upon our intellectual integrity.

Athos Level 5 May 4, 2018

They always were.

To some evangelical Christians, being an atheist is more threatening to their way of life than being an Islamic terrorist. Surveys indicate atheism is reviled more than any other philosophy. White evangelicals would favor their children marrying someone of another race or religion than marrying an atheist. Your observations about the inconsistencies and contradictions of the new and old testaments are accurate. Educated Criticism of religion is needed to point out its shortcomings and lack of logic. Hard-core religionists will never be persuaded to rethink their beliefs, but now days many religionists are ripe for change to secular humanism.

You're right! I think we threaten them MUCH more than believers in other religions. Our very happy, prosperous, healthy existence is a threat to their dogma and their piety. After all...if we're not struck by lightning or rendered into ashes...maybe they're wrong about their gawd?

People can believe what they want to believe, but, as long as it's not imposed or forced on other people

Suzie Level 1 May 4, 2018

No, When their belief that someone is gay has to put to death is definitely not ok. LEV 20:13

Most people need to be led, we aren't most people.
If someone wants to believe in make believe what's the harm? Radical sects are a different story.

Good Ol Voltaire.. way ahead of his time. Sarcasm and all 🙂

I love this quote:

Me too. He was a great man. Did you know they put him in the Bastille.

Christianity is a dangerous cult, just like any other cult. If a Christian is caught doing something "un-Christian" then they are labeled "Not a Real True Christian" A Real True Christian is a Christian that has not yet been caught lying, stealing, cheating on his spouse, engaging in gay , bedding with prostitutes, molesting children, bearing false witness, swearing, being publicly intoxicated, smoking weed or any other multitude of sins that the Real True Christian had formerly been accusing others of committing. After being exposed, the offending individual becomes a Not A Real True Christian.

There are SOooo many versions of “Christianity”, Islam, Buddhism that one should not (IMO) condemn the whole group that needs magical people or events to feel good. That’s like condemning all whites for killing ALL the native Americans, or hating blacks for one crooked black person- it’s all silly (and pathetic) to generalize in this manner! There are ethical and honest in all theocratic beliefs, same as there are for atheists/agnostics! Some atheists forget to have better ethics than the religion they are generally condemning. Yes, there are some just plain bad people- religion aside.

Christianity Yes! Christians not necessarily.

Christians represent the stupidity of Christianity and therefore become bad even if they are doing good things!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:73041
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.