Agnostic.com

89 16

Do u think Christianity is bad ? What's your opinion on it

Ya know I have a very hard time respected the religion . We as athiest or agnostics know it's bogus . Its a book that basically tells u what to believe is right or wrong and if u don't agree then your wrong and the co sequences are going to hell . The Bible itself is poorly written . One chapter gods this nice loveable person then the next he's growing babies and slaying baby's and cursing them ! So many people hate gays and lesbian people becus of the Bible . Whether I think it's nasty or not doesn't mean its wrong . I also hate the disrespect I get when I tel people I'm athiest. Why can't we think for ourselves ?

DavidDeLa89 6 May 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

89 comments (51 - 75)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think all religion has the potential to cause more harm than good.

All religions are bad.
They seek to subjugate the human will.
I could elaborate further but you get the main thrust.
Firm Anti-theist here.

Christianity is the biggest group of hypocrites, liars, and 2 faced people you will ever meet. I'm so glad I saw the light finally. I didn't realize how closed minded I was until about 3 mouths ago. I'm free from the dogma and never going back.

If u have the time, get a hold of Bertrand Russell's 'Why I'm Not a Chtistian.' Fascinating read 🙂

As history shows, it can be problematic but I see it as a mixed bag. There have always been interesting individuals within the church who have taken the time to record their thoughts formed during a life of contemplation. I am talking about a deeply personal perspective rather than parroting the institutional dogma by rote. I occasionally find philosophical gems within it all. I find it difficult, even pointless to attempt meaningful engagement with extreme dogmatics and fundy's. They tend to shut down conversations because they do not participate with an open mind. When faced with disrespect from others in response to my declared atheism I tell them to deal with it and reflect upon whatever it is of their own condition that led them to such behaviour.

The bible is an immoral document and yes it wrong to hate people because they are gay.
The bible doesnt offer moral it offer what call moral prenouncement.
I often wonder how anyone that isnt this god favor people could follow it since this god seems to hate everyone except his favor or choosen ones.

It is bad.

It depends on the specific sect how bad, or how they are bad.

Snake handlers are obviously dangerous and bad.

Catholics have notoriously warped attitudes on sex and turned blind eye to children being sexually abused or even in the worst cases, accused the children of tempting the priests.
With their insane attitudes toward any birth control added to their conversion efforts in many poor countries, they add to the economic burden and all the while picking the pockets of those poorest among us.
Mother Teresa, used the children of Calcutta as a huge fund raising effort for years.
It was a scam.
All donations went to the Vatican.
Any sick child entering was not given medical care and was placed on a at on the floor to die.
She saw suffering as a blessing to bring them to g-d.

Until she got the Big C of course.

Then she wanted the best medical care and pain meds.

African baptist? Entertaining but so loooonnnngggg. Good food though.

You get the drift. Others can add.

Here's what Christianity can do to people.

[facebook.com]

Christianity is a cult based on the idea that utter submission of life and liberty to an ancient, xenocidal, capricious, jealous fertility god will buy you an eternal life of servitude and condemn everyone who disagrees with you to eternal punishment.
What is not to love?

Christianity, as it is called, is really a type of generic tribalism. There are almost as many definitions of Christianity as there are Christians, and I am not sure I have ever met two of them that agreed on everything about their religion. Many aren't even sure of what it is they are "supposed" to believe. Ever been to a library and looked at the selves of bible commentaries? I don't think there have ever been two trained theologians who have completely agreed on what the bible means. In fact, they will often provide several suggestions as to what a biblical passage might mean. The mixture of books, known as collectively as the Bible, when examined together is more of a mystery than a coherent scripture, and so lends itself to a myriad of subjective interpretations. Christianity is a conceptual tribalism without agreement, but sadly, with a lot of judgment.
The good "Christians" that I have known never seem to take the Bible too seriously.

I believe that religion is the worst invention that humans have created: Christian, Islam, Judaism,....they all suck and are all evil in that they turn people against each other.

Some Christianity is dangerous, like any other sort of fundamentalism. In the U.S., evangelical Christianity is incredibly dangerous because of its persistent attempts to affect everyone else through governmental influence.

I don't really think anything is 'bad' - just not for me - I would stay away from a whole pile of stuff that doesnt have any interest for me - People do whatever they need in order to get through the day - It isn't really any of my business to judge them for it - I have never had a god and never felt the need for one, bit not judging any one elses need.

Children are taught falsehood. How can it be good?

No I have met some amazing nuns and priests and vicars who all seem like really reasonable people. I don't agree with most of their beliefs but why should that matter to me - I don't have to live with them and I am not part of their flock. I did a course in Person Centred Therapy, Later became a Lecturer in teh same College . there were on my course of just over twenty, a vicar a deaconess 2 priests and 2 nuns - The only ones who outed themselves were the vicar and the priests they were just ordinary and enjoyed the course. they were fun people apart from the nuns and the deaconess who didn't even try to engage in the course but sat in a corner praying - We mostly had a lot of fun and I enjoyed it immmensely.

Well there are too many sects, groups, divisions in Christianity, so there are bound to be bad apples. Certainly there are good things in Christianity, but there are many bad things. My guess is the dogmas and faith, which are blindly following beliefs with no concern for evidence. Medicine you had bloodletting in the past as treatment of choice but evidence and treatment changed. The other issue is supposed moral code, i find it lacking since it does not say anything against child abuse, rape, slavery, and nothing about climate change. The other thing is that people specially christians in the end are tribal and therefore lack compassion for other groups non religious or just don't care as it happen with Evangelicals being the group most loyal to Donald Trump and voting him in mass in spite of the hatred of minority groups, racism, fascism. The other belief that lacks morality is the sending to hell to all non christians, just does not make sense in moral sense specially given the Holocaust sending of a specific group to gas chambers, how is GOd moral after the holocaust if he sends every non believer to hell, just does not make sense. In the end Christianity is neither bad nor good, but certainly not helpful in evolution and progression of wisdom, morality, knowledge, peace, compassion. The evidence is in terrorism islamic and christian (white supremacists), conservative Christians being the stronger supporters of fascist in USA and Europe.

Yes, Christianity is bad, its practitioners can be evil, their goals are despicable.

As with all things, an idea whether its religious or not, can be manipulated by bad people. I have met some very dedicated christians who really believe in what they are doing and are genuinely nice people...but there are so many that cherry pick the doctrine to serve their own purposes. Through history bad people have used this religion to do some really bad things...and today those kind of things are still occuring. When you use religion as your manipulation device, you are really controlling people on a deep level .

Yes, bad, evil, invented to manipulate people and suppress women

People fear the unknown, particularly death. They cling to religious belief to circumvent their fear. Many "born-again" Christians feel a need to save their non Christian family members and acquaintances. When they get started, one has to listen to them but they don't have to listen to you. What you say is unimportant because they feel they know the truth, and you do not.

If you look back in history and even in modern day nearly all wars were/are religious based. If there were no religions wouldn't the world be a peaceful place? Think John Lennon's song "Imagine".

More people kill and are killed because of religions which only proves they are all full of crap

Vhk47 Level 3 May 15, 2018

Upon second thought... I’d rather hump my neighbor as long as she is willing than kill her it’s lots more fun and a damnsite more pleasant

Vhk47 Level 3 May 15, 2018

Yes faiths are evil THE OPPOSITE OF live. ..xians are bribing all with alleged heaven post mortem and making real hell of life on earth with theocracy creationism fascism of illegal war crime profiteering polluter oil poisoning of entire planet. ...all religions are WRONG

I think it and all religions are false and we are never served by believing lies.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:73041
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.