Agnostic.com

10 3

Have you noticed how people are bringing their pets into religion? Saying things like when they cross over the rainbow bridge (die) or that they will see them again (in heaven).

BeeHappy 9 Dec 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have noticed this, and it perplexes me. In the US at least, I think many people have a belief in God and heaven, without the education of what they really mean. Secular believers, if you will. More of a comfort system to get them through their day, they don't think about the ramifications of their beliefs, and probably couldn't put them down on paper in any organized fashion.

They're loved ones and just as it's comforting to think your human loved ones are still existing in some place of eternal happiness, so to it is for pets. Nonexistence, while less comforting, at least entails absolutely no suffering.

That's been going on for what seems like forever.
When mine go and when/if I announce it on my FB know for certain the likelihood of someone saying something like that is very high, even from those I know are heathen lefties.
I'm not going to correct anyone on it though.

yes like, 50 billion humans aren't enough up there. which animals get to go? is there a dress code?if some animals don't go do they go to hell? that is one hell of a bridge.

I'm not religious but I do like to believe that there is a possibility for animals to not just rot in the ground.. So I have a rainbow bridge tattoo. I know they are rotting in the ground but it makes me feel better to think that they are having fun somewhere. Doesn't bother me that us humans are rotting in the ground, but animals... I can't do it. I know I won't see them again or anything though. I know the truth, I just use it to cover my guilt of wishing I could have done more for my animals. Given them the best doctors and pamper the fuck out of them, ya know? Because they're way better than humans and deserve to be treated like royalty, in my opinion.

More comfort fantasies .

In Manhattan recently ,thousands of people turned up for the Blessing of the pets in a famous Cathedral

If you believe you will see your family again in heaven, it's not much of a stretch to believe you will see your pets as well.

BD66 Level 8 Dec 9, 2017

I don't care that much for cats but that's a good one.

It must make them feel better about themselves.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:7353
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.