Agnostic.com

4 11

LINK Russia's Supreme Court bans LGBTQ activism -- Axios

(When I was in college doing research, I came across a study done in the former USSR, which showed that women who were highly stressed in the second trimester of pregnancy gave birth to a significantly higher number of gay and lesbian children. I doubt such a long term study would've found funding in the U.S. That study has been used by many other countries as evidence that sexual orientation is not a choice, but is innate at birth. It appears now that Russia rejects the findings of their own scientists.)

Russia's Supreme Court on Thursday declared the international LGBTQ rights movement "extremist," effectively outlawing LGBTQ activism, multiple outlets reported.

Why it matters: This is the most drastic move against gay, lesbian and transgender rights in Russia, per the AP. While it remains unclear how the ruling will be enforced, participating in "extremist organizations" is a punishable criminal offense in Russia.

"Human rights defenders fear that the ruling will allow the authorities to arbitrarily prosecute anyone for any activities related to LGBT rights," Human Rights Watch wrote.
Russian President Vladimir Putin has made social conservatism a core part of his political appeal, frequently contrasting Russia with more liberal Western countries and targeting gay rights in particular. He previously signed a ban on "LGBT propaganda."

Context: In a lawsuit, Russia's Justice Ministry argued that the LGBTQ movement included extremist signs and manifestations intended to incite "social and religious discord."

The hearing occurred in private without a defendant, according to the AP. LGBTQ activists were not allowed by the court to take part in the proceedings.
While the "international LGBT movement" was labeled extremist, that movement is not represented by a single organization, effectively leaving it up to authorities as to how to enforce the ban.

State of play: The UN Human Rights Council denounced the Supreme Court's decision.

"The law must uphold the principles of equality and non-discrimination," Volker Turk, the UN human rights chief, said in a statement. "It must never be used to perpetuate discrimination."
snytiger6 9 Nov 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It’s a first step to progress I suppose

Civil rights and personal liberty are not priorities of the Russian government.

Like duhh they are a Christian nation

Are they? I thought they were mostly atheist, cue to the long period of communist totalitarianism rule. But then, I hadn['t really paid attention to religious influence(s) there. On thinking about it, with the fall of communism, churches probably sent a flood of missionaries in, as they no longer were putting missionaries in prisons.

@snytiger6 Lenin thought the churches would just close when the old ladies who kept them open died. What he failed to realise was that more old women would come along to replace them. The Russian church never really went away, even during the Stalinist era. Like the crow in Orwell's Animal Farm, it was allowed as a useful distraction.
Then after the fall of the USSR, it became even more useful in defining Russian national; identity, "family values" etc. and all of the bs the Christian right in the US spouts but with a particular home-grown Russian flavour.
Note that the Russian Orthodox Church is very separate from Western religions like Roman Catholicism or Protestantism.It dates back to approximately 600 AD

Their fundies have even more influence than in the US. Lots of countries have similar issues, and there's plenty that want this to happen in the US.

The recent Dublin riot's were a bunch of right wing arseholes running amok amidst a rumor about some malfeasance on the part of some foreign national. Bigotry is rife in the papist cult.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:738507
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.