Agnostic.com

11 15

Steep, off-trail hike: scared and fighting panic.

March 17, 2020

Two weeks ago Karen and I hiked Tibbits Mountain using the trail like sane people. Today we headed for Devil's Gulch but were turned back by too much snow on the road. The other women wanted to hike nearby Tibbits Mountain instead. We agreed.

"Let's climb up to that peak," Karen suggested near the start of the trail. "We can come down on the trail." We five women stood looking up, assessing the steepness.

"I can climb a mile up anything," I said. "Then another mile, and another..." We laughed.
"Don't look down," Karen told me. We scrambled uphill without a trail, gaining over 1,000 feet in elevation per mile. Another peak reared up. It got steeper as we climbed. When we got to the top of the third hill, I was done ascending.

"Lunchtime," I announced. "Karen, I have no burning urge to bag the peak like you do." We found a place to eat out of the wind.

My feet were painfully spasming from the arduous climb. I had no drinking cup. So, I poured Emergen-C powder into my palm, licked it off and washed it down with water. The feet spasms immediately stopped.

Tense and Scared Descending

Descending was dangerous. We traversed across extremely steep hillsides, dropping downhill with each dicey step on unstable terrain. To make matters worse, loose boot laces made my feet slide around inside the boots.

I felt tense and scared, fighting panic. I hate steep drop-offs. Give me a trail, please. I was slower than everyone else.

"Are you okay?" Lisa asked. "I'm not having fun," I replied. "This is scary for me."

Five times where it was too steep to walk, I sat down and slid on my butt on dirt, mud, rocks and snow. "Whee!" I yelled gleefully, sliding downhill fast. Much easier than walking.

"Instead of stepping gingerly, stomp your boots into the dirt," Lisa advised. Because I'm lightweight I tend to slip and slide on steep terrain.

With an unerring sense of direction, Karen eventually led us down to the trail. It was a relief. I sat down and tightened my boot laces. The trail was steep, too.

Karen found a swallowtail butterfly struggling in the cold, muddy trail. She rescued it and set it on a tree out of the wind.

By the end we hiked six miles with over 4,000 feet of elevation gain.

What I Learned

1. Tighten boot laces before descending.
  2. Even if I'm scared, I can do it.
  3. There's no shame in glissading if it's too steep to walk.

"Kathleen, you did it!" Karen said, "even though you were scared. I feel proud of you."

"Let's do it again soon," she when we got to the car. "With practice, you will get used to it. It will become no big deal."

LiterateHiker 9 Feb 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

As an anthropology student, I sent several summers in a row, going on archaeological surveys up in Rocky Mountain National Park.
The terrain we ranged over was 8-12,000 ft. above sea level, and could be treacherous; but I had already learned from watching the Bighorn Sheep how to walk in mountains. It was still physically taxing enough that I got a bad case of altitude sickness my first time up.My university anthro dept had a 5-yr contract with the US Dept of the Interior to survey the Park; and in that time, we managed to scour about fifteen percent of it's approximately 400 square miles. It was quite an adventure being in pristine areas that park visitors rarely venture off the beaten path to see.And we found a rock shelter site that dated to about 6,500 years BP.
I've been in Florida for fourteen years now, and miss the Rockies. I keep hoping some cataclysmic event will cause the Rocky Mountains to slide down into Florida, and drive all the gators, pythons, and ReTrumplicans out. Then I can have Colorado scenery, and Florida weather!

Not for me, I hate heights and have poor balance on my best days.
I would have worn my butt down by staying on it.......

Looks exciting but no longer for me coz of neuropathy.

Quit that shit. There is NO reason to do that to yourself. Tell your daredevil friends to go jump off a cliff. And stick to a trail.

@KateOahu

At age 70, it's hard to find women hiking partners. Their husbands died and they moved to be close to their grandkids. Dementia, cancer, broken hips, dizziness... the list goes on.

I had foot surgery in April 2023 that took over 10 months to heal. That blew my Spring, summer and Fall hiking. Now I'm back to running. Yay!

Personality matters. I won't hike with Gro because she is an angry, critical person. She takes off like a locomotive and disappears. It's like hiking alone.

@LiterateHiker I don’t do anything with angry, critical people.

Sounds like fun. i hope you were properly equipped with ice axe and crampons ?. When I was young-ger and stupid i used to winter climb without either then I lost a friend who had neither and slid on frozen snow over a cliff and was killed. Now if there is a trace of snow I have crampons in my pack and an ice axe in my hand.

@Moravian

That's the problem with changing your hiking destination in the car. We originally headed for Devil's Gulch. Then the group changed our destination to Tibbits Mountain that's much higher.

None of us brought micro-spikes, snowshoes or an ice axe. We were equipped for Devil's Gulch.

It was an early Spring hike, not a winter hike.

I'm sorry about the death of your friend.

@LiterateHiker I tend to forget that spring arrives earlier in your part of the world. Although we have had an incredibly mild spell lately. The temp reached 20C in NW Scotland last week but winter is far from over.

@LiterateHiker My last winter climb was Braeriach in the Cairgorms. That's me at the summit where unfortunately it was cloudy

@Moravian

Beautiful! I love snowshoeing in winter. The landscape is elegant and simplified covered in snow. Animal footprints show who lives there.

@LiterateHiker Beautiful country

Some of my most memorable hikes were off-trail. Bushwhacking through the Olympic National Forest, in northwest Washington state was one such adventure. We had not planned on going off trail, but as we gained elevation and hit snow one guy in our party panicked and left the trail, heading straight down slope. The rest of us decided to follow the jerk, just to make sure he made it back to the car. We ended up moving through virgin forests in every stage of development. In some places we had to crawl on hands and knees through groves of juvenile trees and other undergrowth. In other areas we were under towering, ancient trees that created cathedral spaces where moss-covered fallen logs provided long catwalks over water falls and fern gullies. And nowhere the slightest sign that another human had ever passed that way. I will never forget it. 🥾🥾

Seems a lot of your hikes are adrenaline filled. That's what makes them so memorable.

@jackjr

The beauty of nature and having fun make hikes memorable, not adrenaline.

@LiterateHiker But the adrenaline is still there from your posts. This reminds me of an interesting experiment done by a young woman with a theory about adrenaline and emotions. She made some calling cards and took a list of questions and went to a bridge in Vancouver BC. It was just a normal bridge and she pretended to be doing a survey about some subject. She would ask young men questions and then give them her calling card in case they had more questions. She then went to the famous suspension bridge (I have been there and it is scary) and did the same routine. She then went home and waited to see who would call. Of course almost all the calls came from the suspension bridge. This reconfirmed her theory the flow of adrenaline is often mistaken for love.
My little sister came to Bellingham and was looking for a partner which she thought she found. I mentioned to her I love to drive along Chuckanut drive and she said she had been on that road several times with hew friend Eric on his motorbike. I had to laugh as later, when she got to really know him, she realized he was not who she thought he was and she left. Maybe the adrenaline helps you better appreciate the scenery.

@jackjr

Backpacking in Olympic National Park in my 20's, we came across a suspended bridge across a deep gorge. Tim and Ken crossed first. When I got to the middle of the bridge- I was top-heavy with a 40-lb. backpack- they began jumping up and down on their end of bridge, making it bounce and sway madly.

"STOP IT!" I screamed repeatedly. “You will make me fall!"

Laughing uproariously, they thought it was hilarious. After getting across I yelled at them. They apologized. MEN.

@jackjr

Will you stop with the adrenaline? That's your experience, a typical male perspective. Rodeo springs to mind.

I was lucky to be born with heightened senses: taste, touch, smell, sight, sound. This gives me an intense, sensual experience of life. I love the soft rattling of millions of Aspen leaves. Crushing tips of sagebrush and cedar trees and savoring the fragrance. Impressionist art.

Sometimes it is exhausting to be inside my own skin. I need deep sleep- eight hours every night- to reset my nervous system. Exercise and meditation ground me.

At the Portland, Oregon Rose Garden, I ran from rose-to-rose having mini-orgasms. “OH! Smell this one!” and “Wow! Look at this one!” “Mmmmm…Ah!” After an hour I had olfactory overload. Couldn’t smell a thing.

@LiterateHiker On the Vancouver suspension bridge the numbers allowed were limited but it was still full. A lot of kids and teenagers thought it was funny to jump up and down and make it sway even more. Maybe not just men but infantile ones.

@LiterateHiker That's not just my experience. It was a valid study and my sister's giving into it only made it more real. We are animals with animal instincts. There have been many studies of which males and females sexual instincts can drive them to do certain things of which they are not aware. Science is blind and doesn't take sides just like nature.

@jackjr

Cite your sources. I always do. Post links to the "many studies" showing who did the research, methodology, size of group studied, etc.

I have a Master degree. I want to see research that backs up your claim.

@LiterateHiker Sorry, I refuse to play this whack a mole game. We are animals and, as such, often behave like animals (do I need proof of this!?). In matters of procreation we use animal instincts to guide us. Some call it 'chemistry' and I call it what it is-natures way of furthering evolution through getting two creatures together to mate. Nature cares not a bit about happiness and chemistry is for fools.
There have been many, many studies on this subject. One famous one is men wearing undershirts for a number of days and then giving those sweaty shirts to women to hold next to their faces. Many were attracted to a or several specific shirts from the pheromones present. Another famous one involved a study done in Vienna where researchers asked women to engage in an experiment that took plane in a popular disco. The researchers only asked to women to get a swab upon entering and to be allowed to being filmed. The swab helped the researchers determine where the women were on their cycle. Then it was shown that the closer to their ovulation the skimpier and more suggestive the women would act toward the men.
Don't expect me to sit here and do a long search just to satisfy another. Even if I did so there would be more demands. If one really cares they will do the research themselves. Having a master's means nothing to me. I also have a grad level certificate.

Wow! You are brave. I could never do that. These pictures are beautiful. 🙂

Betty Level 8 Feb 2, 2024

@Betty

Thank you, Betty! Tibbits Mountain is close to where I live.

@LiterateHiker Lovely to look at but you could never talk me into climbing it. lol
A nice convenience to have it close by. Do you climb it often? 🙂

@Betty

No, I prefer getting away from civilization. On Tibbits Mountain the view is basically the city of Cashmere, WA.

@LiterateHiker The scenery is beautiful. What lovely memories you are making. 🙂

Not a good idea. I was finding my way off trail until I hit a slope where I couldn't see the bottom. It was actually a cliff. I was fortunate to be able to scramble back up, but with the loose soil, it was not easy.

Way back in the mid 70s I went on one of the more challenging and annoying hikes I ever took -- the Grand Canyon Boucher (Boo-shay)Trail. You hike down to the Colorado then climb back up to the top of the Red Wall go several miles upriver and climb back down to the river near the Little Colorado concourse. Rangers called it 'The Mini Combat Attack Trail'.

It's absolutely beautiful and it's remote enough to see a bit of history. The Sipapu where the Hopi believed they emerged from the underworld is only a few miles up the Little Colorado. (We were a little disappointed -- it's just a Johnson mound in the middle of the river.) And Boucher's little old rock cabin was still there against the wall. (It presumably still is for all I know.)

The annoying part came on the way back. We were all experienced hikers and made camp well above the water line on a bar at the Colorado. What we didn't know was there was a fish study happening and they were holding the water level down at Glen Canyon Dam upriver.

The study ended and they turned the water back on (extra heavy to release the buildup) and we went to sleep on a bar and woke up on an island.
The river was so high that they weren't letting rafters down while it subsided.

The three of us were all good swimmers (one was from Hawaii) and the water was only a little ways across but it was ice cold -- just jumping in was enough to convince you to get back out again. We spent 2 days waiting for a raft to come by and ferry us to shore.

Then of course we were late. We exhausted ourselves getting back to my truck at the trailhead before anyone came looking for us (those helicopter rides are expensive).

We got to the truck and drove immediately to the Ranger station to check in.
It turned out that during the 20 minute drive they checked, saw the truck was gone from the trailhead and figured we got out.

After dropping off my friends back in Phoenix, I stopped for gas. But I was so tired I forgot to pay.

It took me 15 minutes to remember and go back to the station to take care of it -- the cashier was shocked that I came back.
Back home I just collapsed in the bed with my clothes on and slept for hours.

@RichCC

Wow! Glad you are okay.

Way cool!! Yes, even if you're scared you can still do it.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:745352
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.