Agnostic.com

40 5

What atheist music do you listen to?

I've heard of a lot of Christian music groups but I have only heard of a few atheist or agnostic groups or musicians. What are some of your favorite atheist musicians or songs to listen to?

pan_heathen97 7 May 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

40 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I listen to what I like irrelevant of the performers' beliefs

Genesis,

Does blatantly satanic death metal count?

Some of the Sting's song I find quite spiritual like Field of Gold or Desert Rose.. I think Sting is non-religious. But I am not sure.

alan parsons project, I robot

Never thought about it. I listen to music, if the lyrics have god in it, it really doesn't bother me unless it's really simpering. It's all about the melody for me but would be interested to hear what others say regarding atheist music and musicians 🙂

I like this little ditty....

you'll find a lot of agnostics and atheists in punk rock and heavy metal and if you're looking for something more extreme listen to black metal where there's a very strong anti-christianity message especially the Norwigian bands they have taken to burning churches

John Lennon!

There's specifically atheist music? Wat?

I love the bands Bad Religion, XTC , NOFX, Nine inch Nails

Since I absolutely do not listen to any Christian rock I never thought about atheistic music. I enjoy a lot of different genres and frankly never thought about a potential atheist vibe in any of it.

I almost forgot to mention, Penn Jillette and Mike Jones just put out a jazz album, and then there’s one of the funniest skeptics/musicians alive, Roy Zimmerman:

check out his songs creation science 101 and Jerry Fallwell’s god too lol.

I'd might be wrong but I think Radiohead consists of a largely non-religious set of members. The lead singer is definitely non-religious although he did previously display some interest in Buddhism. I wouldn't say that their music spreads a particularly "atheist" vibe like Christian bands do with theirs though.

Jeff Buckley’s album Grace including his cover of Leonard cohens “Hallelujah” is one of the few records that really comes to mind for me as atheist music. Then the obvious few singles: imagine, only the good die young, and superstition are great anthems for skeptics of course. I think the Beatles, Pink Floyd, Zeppelin, Hendrix, most of the great psychedelic n British Invasion artists were ostensibly hedonistic atheists if that’s a criteria... Run the Jewels is some great godless rap. ? Regina spektors song “laughing with” is good.

XTC Practically wrote the atheist anthem with “Dear God”. It’s from the album “Skylarking” produced by Todd Rundgren, and I believe it’s one of the best albums ever recorded.

Interestingly, “Dear God” was a B-Side that quickly caught on fire as a hit, so Skylarking was immediately re-pressed and re-released to include that song. College radio was largely driving alternative music then. I don’t think that sequence of events could occur in the years since. And imagine the Fox-Murdoch uproar if that song was released today.

Also, Morrissey is an outspoken atheist and many lyrics reflect that. I highly recommend “I Have Forgiven You, Jesus”

Great thread. Great answers!

I just listen to music that l enjoy on some level. That is my only criteria.

Didn't know there was such a thing?

Coldo Level 8 May 7, 2018

Rush and Tim Minchin

Steve Martin has a fantastic atheist song. Check it out.

Midge Ure - Answers to Nothing

Klaatu Little Neutrino

That is some fast extreme Trem Picking. I sure would love to know the trick to consistant speed like whats in this song. It is not to bad of tune, but I usually go for something with a little more groove added into the extreme speed.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:75672
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.