Agnostic.com

3 10

LINK Motorbike Racer, 9, Dies in Honda Junior Cup Practice Round Crash | Us Weekly

As a parent I am appalled that a child was allowed to do this. How can any responsible adult not see how dangerous this is. Just blows my mind.

Motorbike racer Lorenzo Somaschini died on Monday, June 17, following a fatal crash during a practice round at the Honda Junior Cup in Brazil.

SuperBike Brazil, the sponsor of the racing event, confirmed Somaschini’s death in a statement.

“SuperBike Brasil announces, with great sadness and regret, the passing of pilot Lorenzo Somaschini this Monday (17/6), at 7:43 pm,” the statement read, translated from Portuguese. “The Argentine, born in Rosário, was admitted to the Albert Einstein Hospital, in São Paulo (SP), under intensive medical care and, unfortunately, did not survive.”

According to SuperBike, the organization has provided “full assistance” to Somaschini’s family since Friday, June 14.

On Friday, Somaschini suffered a fall during the first free practice session of the Honda Junior Cup at the Interlagos Autódromo.

“As soon as he fell at the exit of Pinheirinho, the pilot was promptly treated at the scene by the medical team in an ICU ambulance,” the statement continues. “He was then taken to the racetrack’s emergency room, where his clinical condition stabilized. After this procedure, medical removal was carried out in an advanced support unit (mobile ICU) at Hospital Geral da Pedreira, where he remained until the early hours of Saturday (15/6), following all medical protocols until the transfer was made to the Albert Einstein Hospital.”

The statement concludes, “Everyone on the SuperBike Brasil team is appalled by the event and expresses sincere feelings to all of Lorenzo’s family and friends.”

Somaschini was inspired to race by three-time MotoGP World Champion Jorge Lorenzo. Somaschini even picked racing number 99 as a tribute to Jorge, 37.

“My heart breaks because I was his idol and he had my number,” Jorge wrote via Instagram Stories on Tuesday, June 18. “Unfortunately, motorcycles can give us everything, at any time. A very big hug to the family.”

Somaschini began his professional career in April at the Argentine Superbike Junior Cup.

“It will be my debut, but I will go to Buenos Aires to try to win. But since it will be my first race, finishing the final will be like having obtained a victory,” he told Argentina’s La Capital newspaper at the time. “My goal is to get to MotoGP.”

Somaschini found a passion for racing when he was 3 years old.

“I loved it. I don’t know how to explain it. I liked it a lot and well,” Somaschini told La Capital newspaper. “I started to be fascinated by motorcycles.”

Somaschini is survived by his parents, Alfredo and Carolina, and his sister, Juana.

HippieChick58 9 June 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

You're right, HC! These ''parents'' can live the rest of their lives remembering their role in the boy's death.

Why is it so much worse for the kid to die aged 9 as opposed to 19?

I think her point is that the 9-year-old should not have had the choice to participate in such a dangerous sport. (The 19-year-old is probably too young too 😂).

These days riders are taking big risks. All those flips and summersaults were not a thing when I was coming up. The margin for error is small, and the potential for a broken back or neck is high. And for what? It's all for show. I would much rather pick my way slowly over a single-track trail, enjoy the scenery....

@Flyingsaucesir If someone is dumb enough to die like that, then let them use up 10 years less oxygen.

@273kelvin The guy who lives across the street from me has a huge motor home to which he regularly hitches a toy trailer packed with a dune buggy and motorcycles. He drives this rig (which only goes about 2½ miles on a gallon of gas) 200 miles across the width of California, from the San Diego County coast to the dunes at Glamis, near the Arizona border. There he will spend up to several days with hundreds of others like him, burning more gasoline as they all go tearing around on the dunes. (His son recently broke his pelvis on a jump and was laid up for about 6 months.) To my mind, this is exactly the kind of non-essential fossil fuel burning that can and should stop immediately. But he does not see any connection between his actions today and the kind of hell scape his children and grandchildren will have to live in if we don't change our ways. In essence, he's he's friendly but willfully ignorant and selfish.

I have suffered permanent injuries riding motorcycles. It was worth it. I love riding.

More
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:759299
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.