Agnostic.com

19 12

Trolling and mental health

Do you think trolling is a symptom of mental illness?

I’m not talking about the occasional snarky, contrarian comment.
I’m talking about those who consistently go on line specifically to cause upset and division, under one or multiple identities.

The mind of a troll is something I find curious.
I don’t understand what compels these people.
Any ideas?

AMGT 8 May 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

19 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Actually, now that I think about it, I put these people in the same camp with the "Incels". The "Involuntary Celibate". It's a bullshit term made up by a bunch of guys who can't get laid so, they created a movement trying to convince people that women OWE them sex. It's pure horse shit. Rather than looking inward or in a fucking mirror to see what they can do to improve their own image, they place the blame outside themselves and proclaim the entire the world unfair.

And people who troll are angry at not being socially accepted. Rather than focus themselves on trying to get a fucking personality (or at least develop the one they have), they try to ruin shit for everyone else. Or at least for those of whom they are jealous.

I don't think it's a mental disorder. I pity them. They have no self respect so, by default, they have no respect for others.

Personally, I just try to ignore trolls. I don't respond. I try to "like" every comment that gets placed on any of my posts just because I appreciate that you actually replied. That doesn't mean that I agree with the comment. But, if I feel it's troll behavior, I just won't bother to engage it.

I do, however, see that things can sometimes be different for females in social media interactions. (And this is one of the reasons I place trolls in the "Incel" camp.) The vast majority of them are males who see no equality between the genders and they will hammer women with private messages. These are the same assholes who send unsolicited dick pics. And most women I know will engage them because most women are not the heartless banshees that these guys think they are. That only gives them the attention they are craving.

I'm not saying this from a standpoint of egoism. I'm not the best looking guy. I'm not the smartest guy. I'm not the wealthiest guy. I'm not the most talented guy. I'm not the most athletic guy... shit. Now I'm depressed and I forgot where I was going with this...

Oh yes, I remember. These idiots don't know how to interact with people in real life. So, their inability to act properly is amplified online by their anonymity. If all of this was conducted via video connection, you'd never experience any of it.

Okay. End of rant.

Duke Level 8 May 9, 2018

@AMGT ❤ ❤ ❤

There's various levels and some become an indicator of serious problems. If you haven't seen it, watch the multi-part episode of South Park on trolling. It was pretty well done and tackled the issue you bring up in a interesting manner.

I'll get you an episode link if I can.

[en.m.wikipedia.org]

I work in mental health as a psychotherapist. That doesn't make my opinion infallible, to be sure. But I do know something of how mental disorders are categorized and diagnoses defined.
My opinion is that the trolling behavior in particular suggests a personality disorder, as opposed to anxiety or mood or psychosisis disorders.
I want to advocate for a new personality disorder designation: A**hole Personality disorder.

Great tag for a disturbing disorder.

There is a sense of anonymity that comes with an online persona. The ability to have an avatar rather than an actual photo of oneself increases that feeling of anonimity. It gives some a sense of power to create chaos in the midst of order. Whether thats a mental disorder or whether its a tendency that most of us actually have within us but still manage to supress is unclear to me.

Duke Level 8 May 8, 2018

@AMGT No. I just see people in general posting things online that I know they'd never say to anyone face to face. And I see it from people I've known for decades. I just wonder if the human condition wants to be more cruel in general if we can get away with it. Present company excluded. I've never witnessed any of that from you. There are others where I've not seen it either. But, it seems like you're in a minority.

I don't think being an asshole is a mental illness. We should not classify it as such or they will try to claim disability benefits for it. Talk about adding insult to injury.

Lol...thats funny! Good answer... its hard not to throw it back at someone thats picking a fight. But yeah... we know the scum were talking about.

Probably a few things. A sense of superiority given license by anonymity &/or distance. Spite & meanness, caused by who knows what. Daddy issues, Mommy issues, small peckers, a sense of inferiority masked by anger. A lack of ability to communicate in any other way, due to any of the above or lack of education/intelligence. I'll admit to the occasional snark & contrariness, but I even do that with my closest friends, here & in RL. I admit to being a bit of an a-hole! But, except for teasing, I'd rather have a good conversation & maybe learn something new!

I understand teasing brother. Being an asshole to an asshole is great if you can get your point across. You know the scum out there itching to start a fight.... thats the ones im talking about.

You're definitely not an asshole! I enjoy your quips on here. And you are far from what I consider a troll.

@BucketlistBob Agreed!

@Duke Thanks, Duke! Not all think so, but I value your opinion!

Yes i do.... i believe that our society would rather discuss meaningful topics and also the subject matter that may relate to who they are and why they are. When i first joined this forum i was enlightened with the famous people that were agnostic and Athiest. I was given reasons to why people accepted this belief. We have slowly drifted away from the core belief discussions. New people are asking questions outside our general structure. I understand the off topic questions and some harmless flirting. Its a good thing. Questions that are asked to stir up trouble need to be avoided. We are a very intelligent group of people. I suggest that we look at these questions and avoid an answer. Understand that certain topics are posted just so that person can jump all over you if your answer is not their answer. There is a button you can push to avoid these people and you will never have to see their trolling posts again. Thats how im going to deal with these selfesh self centered all about them people.

it could well be in some cases. I have a friend I don't speak too anymore because he is a paranoid schizophrenic that I used to be friends with for ages until he started saying and doing some not such nice stuff to me to the point of me having to tell him to fuck off. I don't dislike him and know it's not his fault but I have my own issues with mental health and he was part of the reason I got sectioned. my point being even if people have got mental issues who troll or who do things I'm not happy with I will still block them. I like some people but I'm always going to like myself more. I have had enough crap in my life and just don't need anymore.

I don't think it's a sign of mental illness. It is a possible sign of personality disorder. Personality disorders are not a mental illness.

Cheri Level 5 May 8, 2018

Yes, personality disorders are mental illnesses. My first husband had a passive-aggressive personality disorder. The worst part about it is that they can't see that there's anything wrong with them, so it's nearly impossible to fix.

@Nottheonlyone i read up on personality disorder and it said it was a cause of different traumas.... not mental illness... but their illness doesn't justify hurting others on this forum.

@BucketlistBob That may be the case, but it's still in the DSM 5, so...

@Nottheonlyone. Well....ok.

A personality disorder is behavior based while a mental illness is brain based. Schizophrenia, bipolar, things that usually require medications to alleviate symptoms are mental illness. Behavior modification/ cbt are how personality disorders are treated. Some personality disorders are extremely difficult to treat because they are resistant to therapy. Look it up folks! Don't just assume. That's what people were doing with Trump. They were trying to diagnose him with a mental illness, when it is more likely to be a personality disorder.

@Nottheonlyone lots of things are in the DSM V. They aren't all considered mental illness.

@Cheri Mental disorder, then. Apparently, I misspoke. My apologies.

@Nottheonlyone I get that. It's quite common actually. I always try to educate the difference because some personality disorders are very dangerous. Anti-social and narcissistic personality disorders often result in murder. People who have a mental illness are far more likely to be assaulted than to assault.

I spend a lot of my life trying to eliminate the stigma of mental illness. Especially in May, as may is mental health awareness month.

And not to nitpick, but it is a personality disorder, not mental disorder. I know, but words do make a big difference in perception.

Mental illness? Possibly. Certainly a low level of social development.

skado Level 9 May 8, 2018

Personality disorders.

Psychopath.

Probably some religious delusions for the ones that preach.

I think there's some twist that makes them want to stir crap rather than join the group and play.

@AMGT Yup that's a psychopath. No empathy at all. Likes to hurt people.
Or sociopath? I'd have to look at a DSM.
But really awful. Sorry that happened to her (and you).

They might be mentally ill, but clever enough to often slip by my detection. That probably says more about me than them though.

Very lonely and unhappy people who can only feel better by taking others down.

Idk if it is a symptom of mental illness, however, I think it could be a symptom of a weak ego, low self-worth.

Nope?

Why do you say no? Educate me brother...

@BucketlistBob Some people ae just basic dopes

@Marine. Hmmmm.... your right!

Narcissistic, manipulating, drama fed sadists. In my opinion, those people are best ignored. They continue to be trolls because people have fed into their behavior. It's really that simple.

Like many things trolling is subjective and is case by case.

The atheist may be trolled by a theist that is persistent in telling them god is real, or the theist may be trolled by the atheist persistently asking for evidence.

@Susurrus77
Yes, but they could see it that way...

Call in the behavioral analyst "Criminal Minds". Nice article by the way.

Avoid them. Good advice. This comment is in regards to the article, not @ki-bee 's remark.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:76307
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.