Agnostic.com

152 12

What is the bible to you?

Being raised Catholic the bible is to them the word of god, right? To me the bible is a book just like Harry Potter is. Who is to say that 2000 yrs from Harry Potter is the new bible.
My question is, what is the bible to you?

CeciRosane60 7 Dec 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

152 comments (76 - 100)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

An elaborate work of fiction.

An almost useless contradiction

A written minstrel.

A waste of paper.

The bible is a collection of stories by different authors from different times and it tells many different stories. Some versions of it have 66 books and others have more. There are no original writngs today of any of the versions. Everything is a copy to the extent that today we have no evidence exactly of what was copied. The Old Testament is used extensively to "prove" prophesy in the New Testament but the writings are contrived to prove a purpose. There are no eye witness accounts of anything at all, Jesus and all about him included. On close inspection much of the New Testament was written long after the time of Jesus. It's therefore not surprising that you find writings that appear to refer to 70 AD and the Jewish war of that time. The earliest date for Revelation being written is 96 AD. In the first 300 years after the time of Jesus this all came together in accepted ways of what people were going to believe and allow in their collection of all the stories. Constantine had a lot to do with this but so did Marcion and others. The biggest irony of the New Testament is that Saul of Tarsus (as Paul) was the real founder of the faith and he never even met Jesus. Many did not trust him then but today the entire bible (biblios) is looked at as the enerrent word of god. The big book comes about in truth as something closer to Frankenstein's monster, but you cannot tell the faithful that.

Sorry. I wrote about this before but I like this one better.

I don't have one in the house so i guess its not at all important to me. Im not hugely interested in it. I beleive there are many versions.
I'm a buddhist and we have many religious texts but we don't really do the ' It must be true because it says in the bible...' thing. In fact we often start a dhamma talk(kind of like a sermon) with the words 'Thus have I heard...' which is kind of a nod to the fallability of text

Good parables

A doorstop

A copy of a copy of a copy of a translated, added to, taken from, retranslated collection of thoughts on certain events, fairy tales, and people both real and imagined... or more re-imagined... used to 'try' to instill a particular religious set of morals... or to control the masses. Probably both.

Pretty much mythology forced through a Christian specific lense.

AmyLF Level 7 Mar 23, 2018

Chloroform in print. -Mark Twain- ( referring to a different religious book)

A bible is decoration in my house. Just in case fam and friends come over. Would it be wrong to burn a bible?

A period piece written to keep the uneducated masses in check. A book used to brainwash people to behave in a cult like mentality. Not to mention a self righteous attitude. Well the list of transgressions that can be laid at the door in the name of Christianity would take days! The bible is really just a rule book ( albeit one open to differing interpretations ), followed by people who can't or won't open their minds ... blah blah blah. .. chuckles ... sorry I do get carried away!

It's a book, it's a badly written book, it's a book full of inaccuracies, it's an unreliable book, it's a book that wants to be taken seriously but can't, it is the best selling book in history if you add all the versions together but it is an anachronism.

To me it is nothing more than other books on my book shelf that I'll never pick up again.

To me it's a text that's important to western civilization and even contains some wisdom. ("Hope deferred maketh the heart sick." ) I'm not so sure it was meant to be taken literally--maybe the line between the literal and the merely symbolic was less clear in ancient culture!

The line "As you have done it for the least of you, you have done it for me" does mean a lot to me.

Toilet paper....although the crap in it renders this book useless.

The Bible is the Big Book of Hebrew Fairy Tales with the Christian Zombie Jesus Addendum ?

To me the Bible is one of the worst things that ever happened to humanity and the world. Anthropocentricism screwed up everything. Placing humans as the center of God's universe is utter nonsense and consummate arrogance. It was a sad day for the unhuman animals when some goat herder or fisherman wrote that the humans have "dominion" over nature.

Considering our current level of deforestation it's a serious threat to the environment.
It's the Big Book of Contradictory Gibberish.
It's a waste of paper, ink, and time.
It's the opiate of the asses.

It's nowhere near the caliber of Harry Potter. It's poorly written; its plot is disjointed; and the characters are superficial. I don't feel any attachment to them. It's not even as well written as twilight.

JimG Level 8 Apr 4, 2018

A fairy tale that makes a great fire starter

The Bible is often what I quote or refer to when I want to make a point in an argument with a theist.

Deb57 Level 8 Apr 5, 2018

An aweful taste with premium weed is what it is.

don't smoke yourself retarded kids.

For me it's decoration, in case family and friends come over. None of them know I'm an atheist yet.

A book of parables important because it shows how people felt in those times. It is also important for scholars to study because you began to see the edits and where one story began elsewhere and was later edited to blend in somewhere else. Many of the gnostic versions versions show similar edits.
So many parts of the bible are thought to have been written by different monks or religious figures who were being supported by a wealthy patron. You will taken in your patron's beliefs and proclivities while putting down any translation, I'm sure.

A rather respectable coaster in a pinch.....

The women setting up my estate sale found a bible in the home my family has been in since my Dad built it in 1956, and gave it to me in a box of other personal items. Turns out it belonged to my Aunt who had briefly lived with us in the 70's. I noted her and her husband's birthdays in the late 1800's, then chucked in into the trash. A few days later I had a cleaning lady work my new place over, and she found it...sure it was in the garbage by mistake. I told her to simply leave it right there (which got me a frown in return)...unless she wanted it. After she left that night it was gone.

When I had briefly thumbed through it (looking for stashed $100 bills) and smelling of mothballs, I wondered how something as simple as thin paper, ink, some gold leaf and leather could be the genesis of so much hate, bias, dysfunction and endless wars over the millennia. It sure as shit isn't the materials...its the flawed individual human mind and its ego thinking it is the only one that can correctly interpret the words within. Common sense tells you that if something causes worldwide chaos and always has, it should be eliminated. Well, I did my small part in getting that nonsense the fuck out of my house. That's how much the bible means to me.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:7817
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.