Agnostic.com

31 2

So for Mothers Day your Mom wants you to go to church with her.....aaaahgh. Whadda ya say.. do?

annedoneal 6 May 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

31 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

My mother would never want me to go to her church with her because she knows I would talk to people and they don't need more empty pews than they already have. 😉

Go and put on a little show. Just make her happy. What'll it hurt to spend an hour or two listening to some old hack talk about a magical sand hippie? Besides, free donuts.

Let me level with you. Church sucks for lots of us. Sometimes it's borderline traumatic. I get it. I've thought about making an instagram where I travel around flipping off every church I see just to vent. But family is more important than a couple hours of sanity. Your mom wants you to go because in her twisted view she's looking out for you. Just make her happy, but tell her it doesn't resonate with you afterwards.

Depending on the reason..if she wants companionship then go...if it is for the sole purpose of trying to get you to join the church I’d say how about lunch instead

Depends on your relationship with your mom. If throughout your life she has accommodated your needs and wants to please you then to do so for her is a no-brainer. 🙂

Betty Level 8 May 11, 2018

I'd go. What's the harm? It will make her happy.

As part of my job as a funeral director, Ive been to what seems like hundreds of churches, at least I get paid to go. The worst part is listening to the priest/minister/pastor/pundit/celebrant blather on and on, they ALL love to hear themselves talk. Can you wear your airpods? that way you can at least listen to music or a book. and just smile and nod thru it all. it's for your mom, go for it.

Go to church. Sing along with the songs. Make the best of it. It's not like you'll catch fire or anything

If I thought I'd catch fire I'd go for sure! They'd be talking about that forever!

take her to your church : the pub !

If my mom asked me to to to church with her I'd go. I know life is short and she won't be around forever. That being said my mom died when I was a teenager. I'd go to church just to spend another hour with her. I'd go to the ends of the earth to have another hour with her, tell her about my kids and grandkids and how much we miss her and how grateful I am to her for all the things she taught me. So suck it up for an hour and take your mama to church. You will not regret it. My non crafty child is going with me to a quilt museum for Mother's day.

Sure why not. Make her happy. ?

Just go, it will make her happy and your life will be easier. You don't need to listen to anything that is said there, you can day dream while you are there, doing your grocery list in your head, what you are going to watch on TV, what friends you need to ring, etc, etc. Or you can listen and think what a lot of crock.

If my mother let it be known that she wanted me to go to church with her, firstly I would probably choke on my coffee, secondly I would ask her why and thirdly.......she died a number of years ago and any conversation would certainly answer one fairly sizable question lol

I would say: but Mom, you know there might be a chance that I burst into flames. Is that what you want from your daughter? Flames and a pile of ashes?

If you're purely a principled type of person, then say "No" - you would score a moral victory in your mind and feel validated in your belief.

However ...

Being a good atheist means learning to pick our battles.

It's your mother after all and it's Mother's Day. I know it's emotional blackmail on her part but she kinda earned it. My vote would be to humor her and say "Yes" and go. Laugh at the silly spectacles on the inside, don't sing any hymn, don't say any prayer, don't recite any creed and don't eat any cracker. Afterwards, take mom to a nice brunch and tell her you love her.

Then report back to us 🙂

@annedoneal Right on 🙂

The last time I went to church with my mom was her funeral.

No. I would say 'no'. That's emotional blackmail, and not very nice.

Go. You are not supporting religion, you are supporting your mother.

I go to the spiritualist church with my wife. It has not harmed me so far.

Heh, seeing as my mother is dead, if she asked me to go to church, I'd be calling the Ghostbusters. 😉

Sure mom. Let me put on my speedo!

@annedoneal red, white and blue

It would cost her... I’ll go. But she will need to hear some of my opinions and questions about the experience. And no, we will not just pray about it. I have questions. I have always had questions but no answers. Love you ma.

TonyW Level 4 May 11, 2018

Wonder how she reanimated her body and mind, and when she got religion.
You do you - I'd say "no thanks"

Nope, I would tell her that she can't control me.

It is her day and if thats what she wants, go with her. You might enjoy it.

gater Level 7 May 11, 2018

I'd say "Mind if I take a crossword, so it won't be a total waste of my time?"

If that's what mom wants to do, then I would go.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:78802
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.