Agnostic.com

26 6

What are your three favorite movies of all time

Comedy: The Big Lebowski

Romance: Before Sunrise

Classic Movies: I'm caught up on several choices between Shane, Spartacus and a dozen other movies but I had to make a choice and I went with Spartacus

paul1967 8 May 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

26 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Half Baked
Cool Hand Luke
The Great Escape

5th Element gets honorable mention

Cool Hand Luke...so good

yes, cool hand luke.

1. Young guns...best movie ever (best dollar eighty I ever spent)
  2. Tombstone (I'll be your huckleberry)
  3. Fight club (The first rule of Fight Club is: You do not talk about Fight Club.)

The Lion in Winter
Young Frankenstein
Singin' in the Rain

Lion in Winter...really good...

Off the cuff...

Take the Money and Run
Life of Brian
The Jerk (hon mention)

Zster Level 8 May 12, 2018

Ha! I'll never forget going to see "Young Frankenstein" at a Drive-in back in the early 70's and another film started playing before it as a double-feature. It was one of the funniest things I had ever seen with this red-headed guy I'd never seen and I marveled at its level of incredible wit and intelligence. Of course it was "Take The Money and Run," which I think to this day is one of the funniest movies ever made (especially if you were a fan of "Cool Hand Luke" and the other movies it parodied). And "Life Of Brian?" Comedic masterpiece! Great list!

@EltonRon

@Zster I just mentioned the cello-in-the-marching-band scene to someone the other day! ?

Comedy: My Cousin Vinny

Romance: Trouble With The Curve

Classic: Casablanca

Gone With the Wind, Animal House, Young Frankenstein

Why only three mister?
My all-time favourites: (not necessarily in this order)

1. Richard Linklater: Before Sunrise, Before Sunset, Before Midnight
  2. Alexander Payne: Sideways, Nebraska, The Descendants
  3. Zhang Yimou: House of Flying Daggers, Hero, Raise the Red Lantern
  4. Bicycle Thieves, Taxi Driver, Singin' in the Rain, Lost in Translation, Mad Max: Fury Road, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, Casablanca, The Shawshank Redemption, The Artist, The Last Picture Show, Spotlight, The White Ribbon, My Week With Marilyn, Life of Brian, Toy Story 1-2-3, Contact, Religulous, Blade Runner 2049, Babel, 13 Tzameti, Bowling for Columbine, Billy Elliott, Le Havre, Sleepless in Seattle, The Happiest Day in the Life of Olli Maki, Jean de Florette, Kill Bill 1-2... I could go on and on and on but I'll stop now lol 🙂

Only three? Yikes! (He says, as if he's never considered the question before) I'd say...

1. To Kill A Mockingbird
  2. The Shawshank Redemption
  3. Toss-up between Cool Hand Luke, Ordinary People, Casablanca, Annie Hall, Inherit the Wind, Lion in Winter, The Godfather (Parts I & II, not necessarily in that order), Life of Brian, Singin' In the Rain, Another Woman (Woody Allen's unknown masterpiece), Hannah and Her Sisters, Take the Money and Run, Young Frankenstein, Manhattan, Bull Durham, The Verdict, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, The Sting, The Hustler, Waiting for Guffman, The Princess Bride, American Beauty, Apollo 13, and Pulp Fiction, depending on the day. 🙂

Alejandro Jodorowsky's El Topo, The Decameron by Pier Paolo Pasolini & the australian classic The Tracker. many more, too many to count. i was tempted to cheat & list Roots, but that's a so-called mini series.

Comedy: Ishtar

Visual/Narrative: The Darjeeling Limited

Classic/Romance: Top Hat

Wow, there's too many to choose from but at this moment in time, I'd say:

To Kill a Mockingbird
Eat Drink Man Woman
Samurai X: Trust & Betrayal

Three movies not just three... I like many of the ones listed here so I am going to go for the slightly odd:
Willow
Lady Hawke
Revenger's Tragedy

Lady Hawke was fantastic!

Apollo 13

2001: A Space Odyssey

The Martian

Only Three? How am I going to do that? Three is not nearly enough! Ok let's see...

1. Shawshank Redemption
    There's a tie for second (my way of sneaking in another movie, lol) 2) Hunt for Red October & Dances with Wolves
    And 3) The Man from Snowy River

Spinal Tap, Godfather 2, (fluctuates).

MikaB Level 5 May 11, 2018
  1. Gandhi
  2. Shawshank redemption
  3. Elmer Gantry
  1. Alien-Because it scared the shit out of me.
  2. The Beast- The Soviet tank in Afghanistan, a character study.
  3. The Great Dictator- His speech says it all.

Favorite movies change with the seasons in my life so I will pass. But I consider the "Dude" the greatest character created in Hollywood. Not a bad choice there. "Burn after reading" not bad in my book.

Local Hero
Sherlock, Jr.
Lord of the Rings Trilogy

This was really hard.

I'm such a Tolkien nerd that when I see a profile with the abbreviation "seeking LTR" all I think of is, "Lord of The Rings".

shining, fear and lothing, wizard of oz

loathing

'The Quiet Man'
'Dangerous Beauty' (Overlooked, fine 1997 drama based on true story)
Musical: 'Candide' (2004 Lincoln Center production with Kristin Chenoweth)
'Some Like It Hot' or 'The Producers' - 1968 version with Zero Mostel & Gene Wilder)

1- The night of counting the years (Egyptian - 1969)

2 - Forrest Gump

3 - American Beauty

The nightmare before Xmas, fight club, alien/s (all of them). With honourable mentions to groundhog day and blast from the past. Yeah, i cheated.

Apocalypse Now
Dr. Strangelove
Pulp Fiction
Tip'o'th'hat to the Asphalt Jungle

Serenity, Boondock Saints, Fish Tank
Kids gets an honorable mention

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:78987
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.