Agnostic.com

27 8

God bless America?

What would you prefer to hear politicians say to complete a speech instead of God bless you and God bless America? That seems to be the go-to phrase for US politicians and it makes my skin crawl to hear it.

Tinocca 7 May 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

27 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Be good to yourselves, and be good to your neighbors.

Yep, I like this one.

The phrase needs to be removed from legal tender as well.

Yeah is like saying, fuck everyone else.

It is annoying. The whole separation of church and state thing doesn't seem to mean anything anymore, ever. Religious beliefs are not supposed to factor in to policy decisions but, unfortunately, they always are. Their religion is a front piece to most campaigns seeing that the untaxed church lobby funnels money their way... It will never end in this country. The pandering to the religious... It's unsettling at times and annoying all the time. Just say thank you, have a good day at the end of the speech. That should suffice. Should...

“Love, Peace, and Hair Grease!”

When they say that, people in the crowd should shout out "Which god?". That would might throw a kink in their rhetoric.

God bless America? With Trump as president? I'd say She's damning us, and with good reason.

Actually I don't understand why. Isn't the US officially secular?
Politicians in european countries are BY LAW not allowed to say such things.

Alexa Level 5 May 14, 2018

The US is sadly being controlled more and more by religious groups due to greedy politicians who need their block of votes to get elected at all. If Pence becomes President it will quickly become much worse very quickly.

@mtnhome Pence worries me in that regard as well. Yes, Alexa, it should be secular, but politicians pander to religious folks by incorporating religious references all over the place.

@mtnhome Pence worries me in that regard as well. Yes, Alexa, it should be secular, but politicians pander to religious folks by incorporating religious references all over the place.

Go fuck yourselves would be better.

Go in peace

Well I'm British

If Americans are going to keep going gaga for god then they need to get a better god, one that gets results.

E Pluribus Unum!

Years ago I worked in a nightclub. Singer Lou Rawls always ended by saying:

"Peace, Love, and Understanding."

There is no god to bless America and what about all those other nations? The song says god blessed Texas with his own hand, so now god must have a prostetic. Where is the hand? How did it bless anyone? We seem to be fascinated with this imaginary god who is equally fascinated with our body parts. In his history he wants to burn body parts, smell and savor them, and there is some indication that this is what hell is all about.

" the best to our beloved country"

How about, "Blessed be the peace."

How about "Peace and love to everyone."

"Reason bless America". Will that do you? Or go back to 'God save the Queen, her heirs and successors'.
In thirty years time, we may be coming back with the offspring of Mr & Mrs Windsor for president!

"Sorry" would be a good start as well as ending !

"do not use plastic bags"

Barf!

Something praising our country.

Whose country?

I think "Peace on Earth" would be a good way to end a political speech.

Not necessary-wish when trump admn speaks we could mute them.

I see nothing wrong with it - it all depends on your definition of God - When i hear God - I think "nature" - and whos against nature?

gater Level 7 May 12, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:79471
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.